Error message while installing

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
mirkhan
Kobold

Error message while installing

Post by mirkhan »

When I try to install the map tool V1.3b77 it says "an unexpected error occured". I have windows 7 with java6. What can I do?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Error message while installing

Post by Azhrei »

Well, you could provide some basic information. :)

What OS are you using?

Are you attempting to start it from the Launch page or the Download page?

If you used the ZIP file of the Download version, did you read the README file that is inside the ZIP? It describes common problems and how to solve them.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

*nudges Azhrei* <whisper>He said he is using Win7.</whisper>

@mirkhan - try downloading the zip file version and giving that a go.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:*nudges Azhrei* <whisper>He said he is using Win7.</whisper>
Well no wonder I missed it then. I completely filtered that out as a non sequitur when used in the same sentence with "unexpected error". :roll: ;)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

10,000 comedians out of work and we get you. :P

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Bada-bing, bada-bang, bada-boom!

"Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week."

:mrgreen:

Seriously, it sounds like you've started working it out with him so I'll just step out of the way...

** as he slinks back into the shadows over in the corner **

mirkhan
Kobold

Post by mirkhan »

Azhrei wrote:Well, you could provide some basic information. :)

What OS are you using?

Are you attempting to start it from the Launch page or the Download page?

If you used the ZIP file of the Download version, did you read the README file that is inside the ZIP? It describes common problems and how to solve them.
I have tried both the launch page and the download page and received the same error message. Today I have asked two of my friends to try installing the map tool and they have received the same error message too.
There is no information in the read me file regarding this kind of error.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

mirkhan wrote:There is no information in the read me file regarding this kind of error.
Well, there is this:

If your system-specific file (above) fails to start the application, verify that you have a Java Runtime Environment installed. From a command prompt, type "java -version" (without the quotes) and press <Enter>. The Java version should be printed to the command prompt. If you receive an error message, download and install the appropriate Java package for your operating system as described at the above URLs.

Please do that and tell us what the output looks like. You mentioned Java 6 but not which update level.

How are you executing it? Are you double-clicking on the MapToolLauncher.exe or double-clicking on a .BAT file or something else?

I have no idea where you're getting that error from; can you provide some more details? For example, does the splash screen open when you run it? Are there any other details in the error message? (Perhaps take a screen shot of the error dialog.)

From the README file:

MapTool creates a log of errors in the ".maptool" folder under your home directory. Also in there will be a bunch of subfolders that are used by MapTool internally to keep track of maps and other images. If your problem is repeatable, i.e. can be reproduced over and over again, please remove the existing log file and then reproduce the error. Then zip up the log file and attach it to a post in the MapTool forum.

Perhaps there will be some information in the log file that will help us track this down. :|

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

mirkhan wrote:When I try to install the map tool V1.3b77 it says "an unexpected error occured".
What was in the Details portion of the error dialog?
Azhrei wrote:I have no idea where you're getting that error from; can you provide some more details?
It comes out of the MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent() method.

Chances are this is happening when the Toolkit is setup in MapTool.main() and the SystemEventCue is pushed. If we had some useful details it would help.

Things like did the splash screen open or even the main window.

Return to “MapTool”