The wisper comand

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Aspid
Kobold

The wisper comand

Post by Aspid »

I think that this comand should stay when you press enter, so you can write again to the same person without need to write each time [/w name ] or press up botton and clean the text.

I just post all ideas that I think that are useful.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: The wisper comand

Post by mfrizzell »

yeah a whisper mode would be cool.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Aspid
Kobold

Post by Aspid »

This mode exist yet, what i said is to add this thing to the code

U can wisper to a friend in a online campain using the comand that I said [/w name]

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

if you scroll up you can go ahead and delete the previous msg you can do it.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Aspid wrote:This mode exist yet, what i said is to add this thing to the code

U can wisper to a friend in a online campain using the comand that I said [/w name]

No the mode does not exist. A command exists that lets you send whispers to other players. But, like you pointed out in your opening post it's inconvenient to use. The are a couple of drop in resources that open either a dialog or a frame to let you do whispers to selected players but there is no way to turn on a whisper mode in Chat that stays like that until turned off.
Characters:
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

It's not a "mode", but the command "/rep" sends a whisper to the last user that sent you one, without typing his name.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

patoace wrote:It's not a "mode", but the command "/rep" sends a whisper to the last user that sent you one, without typing his name.
Oh yea.... I had totally forgotten about putting that code in... it was so long a ago and was one of my first contributions.... thanks for the reminder as I expect that should help the OP at least a bit. think what he really wants is to be able to create multiple channels of chat, but that won't be until 1.4 and the earliest, but likely 1.5+ in all actuality.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It's probably easy enough to write a whisper only macro. Something like [whisper()] where "whisper" is a macro on a lib token that opens a frame with a text area, dropdown list of players and a submit button.

I thought of doing this before but outputting to another frame, but the problem with that is the focus of the new text. It will appear at bottom and if greater than the opened frame will need to be scrolled to see. So, a top down design could work, but players would have to be made accustom to it.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

aliasmask wrote:It's probably easy enough to write a whisper only macro. Something like [whisper()] where "whisper" is a macro on a lib token that opens a frame with a text area, dropdown list of players and a submit button.

I thought of doing this before but outputting to another frame, but the problem with that is the focus of the new text. It will appear at bottom and if greater than the opened frame will need to be scrolled to see. So, a top down design could work, but players would have to be made accustom to it.
Lindsey put out a most excellent tool some time ago that does what your talking about.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10642
Characters:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

patoace wrote:It's not a "mode", but the command "/rep" sends a whisper to the last user that sent you one, without typing his name.
Yeah, but it's a bummer to send a whisper to another person because you received another whisper in the mean time!

It's especially bad when you're the GM. :roll:

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

mfrizzell wrote:Lindsey put out a most excellent tool some time ago that does what your talking about.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10642
That's an excellent tool, but probably won't be of much help to Aspid, since it works via text area in a html form, and that configuration doesn't accept international characters.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Sad, but probably true.
Characters:

Aspid
Kobold

Post by Aspid »

Thanks for answer, this tool looks good, but if I cant write my dear "ñ" it will be a problem, furthermore my master is kind of lazy so he probably will not install it.

And about the comand [/rep] I knew it but what I mean or "want" its that I can press ENTER and continues typing.

A lot of times something like this happend to me:
Aspid wisper Rogue: yes, go to this corner and hide yourself
Aspid say: better left corner.
When I went to specify something I forgot to write again [/w Rogue ] and the GM see it.

Anyway, its not a big deal

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: The whisper comand

Post by aliasmask »

Another good reason to have a custom whisper command, so it can be shared with the GM. As for international characters, I recently ran in to that limitation. Will/can it work with any other type of form submit? Like the built in input?

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

aliasmask wrote:Will/can it work with any other type of form submit? Like the built in input?
Input accepts international characters. My framework uses several workarounds to use international characters, but I haven't found any for html form submit (tried json, encode and mime).

Return to “MapTool”