Mysterious MapTool dock icon

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Ofidian
Kobold

Mysterious MapTool dock icon

Post by Ofidian »

When the MapTool icon appears in the Macintosh OS X 10.5.8 dock, there is a a red star polygon shape in the upper right hand corner of the icon with a white text number on it. The number says 77, and I think it has changed since I downloaded the program. I would like to know what this number signifies, and how to remove it.

I checked in the FAQ, and I did not find an answer.

Thank you.
Attachments
ssp_temp_capture.png
ssp_temp_capture.png (30.22 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

Rumble
Deity

Re: Mysterious MapTool dock icon

Post by Rumble »

I believe the number signifies the current build - in this case, "77" for 1.3.b77 - but I don't know that it can be removed.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yep, it's the build number.

While developing MT code it's very convenient for testing purposes to have both an old b76 running as well as the development version. Having the "76" appear in the icon for b76 and "00" in the development version makes it quite clear which is which. Or when I'm comparing b76 to b77, I like to open each app and having their icons be different in the dock makes things easier for me. :)

If OSX would let me just run an app multiple times and put the program name in the dock, this wouldn't be (quite so) necessary. :?

There is currently no way to remove it. However, it might be reasonable to remove it for any "final" version and only leave it there for the intermediate builds. Hm, I'll think about how the code would know whether it's a "final" version without modifying the code itself...

Ofidian
Kobold

Post by Ofidian »

Thank you. Now I understand why I couldn't figure out what it was: I assumed it was related to a feature (like in other programs) as opposed to the version number.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Perhaps if it was the same color as the rest of the icon and it looked like a small gear? The red is a bit distracting.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

No choice. That's Apple's fault. :|

DK1138
Kobold

Post by DK1138 »

Thank you! That has had me scratching my head ever since I have been using Maptools (only a couple of weeks now but still long enough to classify as a mystery in my book!)
"When you throw dice across the room, your turn is DONE."

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Azhrei wrote:No choice. That's Apple's fault. :|
Ah, so. Well that's unfortunate.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Return to “MapTool”