Feature Request: Send player handouts

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Fobbo
Giant

Feature Request: Send player handouts

Post by Fobbo »

Looking at some of the other tools out there I came across one called battlegrounds
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com

One of the features they have on there is the ability to send player handouts such as pictures or files to the players connected. I think this would be a cool idea for maptools.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

GRiP has this... You can send pics, sounds, vids, whatever seems necessary ;) This is a handy feature for the GM, and adds to the experience.
A pic is worth...

I've been following Battlegrounds as well and it semms like a Klooge Klone that will be system generic. We shall see...
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

We're already sending image binary data, I can't imagine why we couldn't drop that in.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

So does the request come down to the ability to put html or text documents on map tool along with images? That way the characters would see the thumbnail in the lower right along with the maps.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor

Post by trevor »

You mean have a little icon that is associated with the map that they can click on to review the content ? That sounds like a good idea.

I originally thought that the GM would "post" a resource that would pop up in a new window on the clients, show the image, play the sound, whatever, but I hadn't thought of how to store it so that it can be re-reviewed later. Putting them as icons somehow associated with the minimap would be pretty cool.

Other thoughts ?

Post by Guest »

The thumbnail in on the map screen could pop up a browser window (easy enough) with the content loaded from a file local to the dm. But given the active-x security issues you'd better trust your DM A LOT.

I have typed the request and deleted it twice now :-)

When in strict token management allow the DM to specify maps (and other thumbnails) to a subset of connected users. The reason I keep deleting the request is that once you have the visibility radius/fog of war functionality the problem takes care of itself for the maps(somewhat).

It becomes slightly more important if you make other non-map data available on the map screen.

This is really a minor request. It would be nice but there are other ways to provide this functionality outside map tool.

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

Wow, you let me post as a guest. Is it supposed to do that?
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yup :) I want to make offering feedback super simple, so for those who feel they have a "quick question" who don't want to be hassled with creating an account on a board they probably will never post to again, they can still ask their question

trevor

Post by trevor »

Anonymous wrote:When in strict token management allow the DM to specify maps (and other thumbnails) to a subset of connected users. The reason I keep deleting the request is that once you have the visibility radius/fog of war functionality the problem takes care of itself for the maps(somewhat).
I'm not following, could you flesh out the idea for me ?

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

Basically the idea is to have some maps/graphics/handouts visible to only some of the players. The DM would select which ones from the from the 'Map' menu in map tool. Right under the 'Hide Map From Players' you could have an option of 'Show Current to Selected Players' which displays a submenu of currently connected players. The menu would look something like

All Players
=======
Bob
Rob
Dob
Hob
Nob

Or you could pop up a dialog box with radio buttons on it listing the players. The dialog box might be more usable as you could select and deselect as needed. Then again, if its a coding nightmare go with the menu.

Once again, this isn't needed so much for maps once you have the FOG/Vision Radius double overlay worked out but if you do go with the player handouts as thumbnail selectable it would be nice to have the ability to show them to only some of the players.

Of course, this begs the question if the thumbnail is a good idea for handouts. I still like it as it saves the handouts with the campaign that the DM can make visible as needed. This would be great for the Mod concept of dungeoning where long naratives, graphics, etc. became easier to manage.

The reason I say put it under strict token management is that if any one can move any token it sort of defeats the purpose.

My 2 cents,
rAk

trevor

Post by trevor »

rkathey wrote:it would be nice to have the ability to show them to only some of the players.
Coming into focus. Do you have a specific example of how to use this feature ?

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

It would be like a whisper with pics ;)

Grip has this... every time the GM sends a file he chooses who recieves it by clicking a box next to the list of names. very handy... especially if the party is split up ;)
Game On!

Post by Guest »

This would be very useful in my games also. Being able to send pictures, maps, soundfiles, etc.

You already have the Connection/Token lists area, perhaps an indicator that there is data available to view on a per character or group basis (maybe right-click in list to see available items for review (with option to dismiss?). If the they are hidden, maybe flash the Title Bar to get attention.

-David

Return to “MapTool”