VTT Feature Comparison Chart needs updating

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
heruca
Dragon

Re: VTT Feature Comparison Chart needs updating

Post by heruca »

Thanks. When you do, could you include a short paragraph letting me know the current state of MapTool? Specifically, whether it's still actively developed, or in maintenance mode with bug fixes only, or is it abandonware, any major plans for the future, etc.

This last request is mostly for my own edification, not the chart itself.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Will do. We are under very active development. See the announcements forum topic if you have any doubt. :D
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

OK, here's my cut at the Features list with a bit at the bottom about the current state of MapTool development.

Let me know if you need anything else.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uH8 ... sp=sharing
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Thanks. I’ll update the chart once all the other VT developers have sent in their updated info.

Due to space constraints on the chart, I may or may not be able to include ALL the info you submitted, but I’ll do what I can to make the chart informative while keeping it concise.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

I just wanted to let everyone know that the VTT Comparison Chart has just been updated with the information submitted (by the developers themselves, in most cases). Most of the information was transcribed verbatim, but I did make a handful of edits for the sake of brevity and/or clarity.

Check it out, let me know if any further changes need to be made, or if any content on the chart is incorrect, and I'll see that it gets fixed.

I don't have the time to personally verify every claim and data point, so I'm counting on everyone to let me know if there are any blatant untruths or exaggerations regarding each VTT's capabilities.

Here's the link to the chart.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

By the way, I removed the column for OpenRPG and added one for Roll20, instead.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Not sure Wolph42 would agree Maptool has no support for animation. Animated gifs, no. Animation, yes.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I read it yesterday and was thinking the same thing. Although its not really 'true' animation. Its token movement (or picture switch) using macros, which temporarily nullifies interaction. (iow you can't do anything in mt during the animation).
But still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-b_H3tjrYQ

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And for the row dealing with price and demos, I think "Free" might be better than "N/A" for MapTool. I think there was one other line that had "N/A" when it seemed like a different response would've been better.

I also noticed that some of the paid tools had links inside the table cells for one row, but MT (and one other) did not. Probably best to be consistent. And if the link for the others was to information about payments or some such, we can build a page for MT that says it's free and open source and the link can point there. :)

Overall, good work, heruca! I can't imagine how much effort it takes to keep something like that up to date, and it's a great service for all of the gamers out there. Just having links in one place is a huge step! Cheers!

Return to “MapTool”