Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar Error

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
phabiano
Kobold

Re: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar Error

Post by phabiano »

I'm from Brazil so post the message in Portuguese and English.

I just register on the Forum.
For those who are having problems in opening Maptool (my version maptool-1.3b87)

Common Error:
Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*. Jar

My solution is as follows:
Do not open the Application MapToolLauncher (He is giving error).
Just open the file directly java (located in the folder of your maptool uncompressed)
double-clicking maptool-1.3b87 (Executable Jar File).
Ready, MapTool back again.

For your convenience, create a shortcut and drag this file to your desktop.

I believe the problem is in MapToolLauncher.

Remembering, go to your maptool folder, and look for a file (executable jar file) that has the same name as the version

its maptool.
In my case:
maptool-1.3.b87 (Executable Jar File) click directly in this file.
forget the file name:
MapToolLauncher (Application).
Ready.

I hope I helped!!

Agora em Português: :lol:

Acabei de me cadastrar no Forum.
Para quem estiver tendo problemas em abrir o Maptool (minha versão maptool-1.3b87)

Erro Frequente:

Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar

A minha solução é a seguinte:

Não abrir o Aplicativo MapToolLauncher (Ele está dando erro).
Basta abrir diretamente o Arquivo java (localizado na pasta do seu maptool descompactada),
clicando duas vezes em maptool-1.3b87(Executable Jar File).
Pronto, MapTool novamente de volta.

Para sua maior comodidade, crie um atalho deste arquivo e arraste para o seu desktop.

Eu acredito que o problema esteja no MapToolLauncher.

Lembrando, vá até a sua pasta maptool, e procure por um arquivo (executable Jar File) que possui o mesmo nome da versão
do seu maptool.
No meu caso:
maptool-1.3.b87 (Executable Jar File) clique diretamente neste arquivo.
esqueça o arquivo de nome:
MapToolLauncher (Aplicativo).
Pronto.

Espero ter ajudado !!!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

actually, that issue is due to you using java 7 that contains a bug (java treats * as a string instead of an regex character). Moreover MT is NOT compatible with j7 (yet, next version will). So you will need to ALSO install j6. That however will still not solve this issue (unless you also uninstall j7) as initially j7 is run when you use the launcher. To fix this entirely you will need to edit the mt.cfg file and the how to is described in the announcements of this forum. I hope this helps

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

phabiano wrote:I'm from Brazil so post the message in Portuguese and English.

I just register on the Forum.
For those who are having problems in opening Maptool (my version maptool-1.3b87)

Common Error:
Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*. Jar

My solution is as follows:
Do not open the Application MapToolLauncher (He is giving error).
Just open the file directly java (located in the folder of your maptool uncompressed)
double-clicking maptool-1.3b87 (Executable Jar File).
Ready, MapTool back again.

For your convenience, create a shortcut and drag this file to your desktop.

I believe the problem is in MapToolLauncher.

Remembering, go to your maptool folder, and look for a file (executable jar file) that has the same name as the version

its maptool.
In my case:
maptool-1.3.b87 (Executable Jar File) click directly in this file.
forget the file name:
MapToolLauncher (Application).
Ready.

I hope I helped!!

Agora em Português: :lol:

Acabei de me cadastrar no Forum.
Para quem estiver tendo problemas em abrir o Maptool (minha versão maptool-1.3b87)

Erro Frequente:

Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar

A minha solução é a seguinte:

Não abrir o Aplicativo MapToolLauncher (Ele está dando erro).
Basta abrir diretamente o Arquivo java (localizado na pasta do seu maptool descompactada),
clicando duas vezes em maptool-1.3b87(Executable Jar File).
Pronto, MapTool novamente de volta.

Para sua maior comodidade, crie um atalho deste arquivo e arraste para o seu desktop.

Eu acredito que o problema esteja no MapToolLauncher.

Lembrando, vá até a sua pasta maptool, e procure por um arquivo (executable Jar File) que possui o mesmo nome da versão
do seu maptool.
No meu caso:
maptool-1.3.b87 (Executable Jar File) clique diretamente neste arquivo.
esqueça o arquivo de nome:
MapToolLauncher (Aplicativo).
Pronto.

Espero ter ajudado !!!

phabiano, thanks for your first post and trying to be helpful. However, while this might be ok for a small subset of people, for the vast majority it's not. The reason is that double clicking on the jar file will start MapTool, but in most cases will not allow the java process to have enough memory to be functionally usable by most people unless they are using a very small subset of MapTool's functionality.

There are a number of fundamental issues that may be going on here which really should be addressed by the end user based upon their specific configurations.
  1. The error YOU got most likely indicate that you are using Oracle Java 1.7 AND it is at or above a certain patch level. If I recall correctly, in 1.7.0_10 and higher, Oracle introduced a bug whereby the * (star) no longer expanded to it's proper meaning, so when called like this: "javaw -jar maptool-*.jar run", the Javer Virtual Machine NO LONGER correctly looks for and finds the file maptool-1.3.b87.jar(or maptool-1.3.b86.jar, maptool-1.3.b53.jar, etc) and thus expects a file literally named "maptool-*.jar", which of course does NOT EXIST!! The correct way to fix this is to EITHER:
    • Downgrade Java 7 from patch 10(or higher) back to patch 9(I believe this one worked but am not 100% sure) and disable auto updates OR
    • Use the batch file instead AFTER editing it. Open the batch file in a text editor such as Notepad(NOT WORDPAD OR MS WORD!!!!!!) and change the ending of the line to the correct filename as it appears in the folder you extracted the MapTool files into.OR
    • See below about Java 7
  2. A second possible issue is that Java 7 does not work currently with MapTool's Vision Blocking functionality due to a change in the way Java implemented some funcationality that DIFFERS in 1.7 vs all previous versions of Java that MapTool will run on(1.5, and 1.6). If you don't need/use this feature, then 1.7 will work fine for you(as far as I can recall). Additionally, the dev team has made changes to the code and this issue will be "fixed" in the next release... whenever that is. In the mean time, it is possible to run 1.6 and 1.7 side by side and there is a post for Windows users that details how to do that.
  3. Java is not installed properly. This is a HUGE issue that has plagued java on Windows for YEARS(honestly I would say decades at this point, but it's just barely near the 20 years old mark so perhaps that's not appropriate yet. ) The point is that sometimes the install does not properly register java so it won't run. The solutions are to uninstall java, reboot, reinstall(which typically works the second time) OR manually do this "registration"(I am not going to cover that here)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

phabiano
Kobold

Post by phabiano »

wolph42 wrote:actually, that issue is due to you using java 7 that contains a bug (java treats * as a string instead of an regex character). Moreover MT is NOT compatible with j7 (yet, next version will). So you will need to ALSO install j6. That however will still not solve this issue (unless you also uninstall j7) as initially j7 is run when you use the launcher. To fix this entirely you will need to edit the mt.cfg file and the how to is described in the announcements of this forum. I hope this helps
Hello !!!!
While the solution is not enough, I'm arranging the maps in my project. Believe me, I've also tried installing the new java 7 and 6. Well, I have not tried editing the mt.cfg. Thanks!! :D

phabiano
Kobold

Post by phabiano »

jfrazierjr wrote:phabiano, thanks for your first post and trying to be helpful. However, while this might be ok for a small subset of people, for the vast majority it's not. The reason is that double clicking on the jar file will start MapTool, but in most cases will not allow the java process to have enough memory to be functionally usable by most people unless they are using a very small subset of MapTool's functionality.

There are a number of fundamental issues that may be going on here which really should be addressed by the end user based upon their specific configurations.
  1. The error YOU got most likely indicate that you are using Oracle Java 1.7 AND it is at or above a certain patch level. If I recall correctly, in 1.7.0_10 and higher, Oracle introduced a bug whereby the * (star) no longer expanded to it's proper meaning, so when called like this: "javaw -jar maptool-*.jar run", the Javer Virtual Machine NO LONGER correctly looks for and finds the file maptool-1.3.b87.jar(or maptool-1.3.b86.jar, maptool-1.3.b53.jar, etc) and thus expects a file literally named "maptool-*.jar", which of course does NOT EXIST!! The correct way to fix this is to EITHER:
    • Downgrade Java 7 from patch 10(or higher) back to patch 9(I believe this one worked but am not 100% sure) and disable auto updates OR
    • Use the batch file instead AFTER editing it. Open the batch file in a text editor such as Notepad(NOT WORDPAD OR MS WORD!!!!!!) and change the ending of the line to the correct filename as it appears in the folder you extracted the MapTool files into.OR
    • See below about Java 7
  2. A second possible issue is that Java 7 does not work currently with MapTool's Vision Blocking functionality due to a change in the way Java implemented some funcationality that DIFFERS in 1.7 vs all previous versions of Java that MapTool will run on(1.5, and 1.6). If you don't need/use this feature, then 1.7 will work fine for you(as far as I can recall). Additionally, the dev team has made changes to the code and this issue will be "fixed" in the next release... whenever that is. In the mean time, it is possible to run 1.6 and 1.7 side by side and there is a post for Windows users that details how to do that.
  3. Java is not installed properly. This is a HUGE issue that has plagued java on Windows for YEARS(honestly I would say decades at this point, but it's just barely near the 20 years old mark so perhaps that's not appropriate yet. ) The point is that sometimes the install does not properly register java so it won't run. The solutions are to uninstall java, reboot, reinstall(which typically works the second time) OR manually do this "registration"(I am not going to cover that here)
Thanks for the clarification. This was just a way to have access to maptool. I believe that soon we will have a solution to this our problem. Thank you! This is another challenge that we have to face. You mentioned DropBox. Yeah, I already have DropBox. OK :D
Last edited by Azhrei on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed 'quote' levels

Heathan King
Kobold

Post by Heathan King »

can I get a link to this java 6 I'm hearing so much about. Its been years sense I have used this program and I couldn't get it to work on my laptop (Windows 8) or my desktop (windows 7) and I think this may be the issue...when are you guys going android??????

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

can someone please direct me to this java 6 everyone is talking about could really use it....
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You should be using b89 because it's better, but if you want to use b87 you can check out this link: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21980

marinecomm
Kobold

Post by marinecomm »

Isn't there security issues when running older versions of Java? Java 6 no longer gets security updates.
"Once you become Real, you can't become Unreal again. It lasts for always!"

Return to “MapTool”