Idea

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
francogp
Cave Troll

Idea

Post by francogp »

I dont know if this idea was discussed before.
I think that its a good idea to have a "vision cirle" per token, and when we select a token, it will be displayed. Of course that a new variable will be require in the creation of the token, called "vision radius" o like that.
I see this function in the "battleground" programm, and i think that its a good idea.
When the fog ow war is active, it vanished whith that "vision radius".

Killydd
Cave Troll

Post by Killydd »

I think having automatic effects based on token movement could be a bad thing. For example: a player moves his token as far down the hallway as possible, and gets a look based on what's at the end. unknown to him when he started the move though, partway down the weak floor is going to give way, and he'll only move 10 feet instead of 40. Also, right now token movement is to more or less anywhere, regardless of things like walls. Its not difficult to accidentally land in the wrong square also.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Which is exactly why we didn't implement auto-expose on the tokens. Particularly because it doesn't handle walls, for example. your vision radius would have to know about the underlying structure of the map, which will be an option in the future, but is not currently available (and will add another layer of complexity for the GM).

It's kind of a tricky feature when you really think about all the issues. At some point in the future we may implement it (it's actually really easy) and allow people to turn it on, but for now we plan on keeping it manual.

However, having a vision radius is still a good idea, and can be implemented with the templates. Once the templates can be attached to a token, you could set up the radius on the token and the GM can then see the radius and know exactly how much fog should be exposed/removed. I'll put in a tracker for vision radius, perhaps as a token menu item, so that it doesn't get lost.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

francogp
Cave Troll

Post by francogp »

I think that it'll be vary usefull tool for de GM.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Vote noted :)

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

I second the idea. if it is for the GM only it would be good as I will be using fog of war soon and would like to know how much fog to remove. Having the vision raidus on the token would be great for the GM to quicly see how much fog to remove.

francogp
Cave Troll

Post by francogp »

Exactly!... that was my original idea of this post :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Gotcha. Once templates can be attached to tokens, this will "Just Work". Look for it post 1.0 :)

rkathey
Giant

Fog of War and Vision Radius

Post by rkathey »

Just making sure I understand: the idea is to have a radius appear around the tokens to show how far the characters can see so the DM can remove the fog that should be removed.

If that is the idea then I have a counter proposal. :-)

Allow for the vision radius but only expose the areas where the DM has removed the fog. You'd basically have two fog overlays. On top of that, gray out the area outside the characters vision so he/she can't see token movement outside the vision radius of his/her tokens. I guess you'd only want this option when 'strict token management' is used and it would be a check mark box that is un-grayed when the DM uses strict token movement in the options section of start server.

That’s my 2 cents,
Rak

giliath
RPTools Founder

Re: Fog of War and Vision Radius

Post by giliath »

rkathey wrote: Allow for the vision radius but only expose the areas where the DM has removed the fog. You'd basically have two fog overlays. On top of that, gray out the area outside the characters vision so he/she can't see token movement outside the vision radius of his/her tokens. I guess you'd only want this option when 'strict token management' is used and it would be a check mark box that is un-grayed when the DM uses strict token movement in the options section of start server.
We haven't worked out exactly how this will work, but we were definitely thinking more along these lines. We probably won't have the default behavior remove the FOW because then a player could "accidentally" display too much of the map.

Thanks for the suggestions :D
~Giliath

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Return to “MapTool”