something strange happening.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
mfrizzell
Dragon

something strange happening.

Post by mfrizzell »

Since last night whenever I drop a token on the map it takes the filename instead of creature despite creature being the preference. This happens even on new blank campaign files.
Also when I drop an image on it defaults to native size instead of medium like it used to even though its on the token layer.

One last thing when I load a campaign with several maps it will load each one serially before it gives me control.

I'm using B86 on Win 7 64.
Let me know what other info you may need to figure this out.
Thanks
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: something strange happening.

Post by Azhrei »

Well, silly question, but... What changed last night?

AFAIK those are preferences settings (stored in the registry on Windows) so maybe your registry is screwed up somehow? Are you dragging tokens or images? As the GM or a player?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

I'm not aware of anything that changed last night before it started happening. After it started happening, I rebooted and let windows update.

I usually drop images on the map as GM.
Characters:
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Confirmed about the naming. I changed to "Creature", drag and drop from resource library gives me the file name for b86, but works correctly for b84. Ah, but if I drag the second token of the same name, it will say creature.

I did not have a problem with tokens being dropped as medium. You may want to check if you have "free size" checked under preferences and tokens.

I assume when opening a campaign, locking your maptool interface until a map loads was normal behavior. Originally, I thought it was to prevent duplicating lib tokens, but that uh, behavior came back.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

You were right about the freesize being checked wonder when I did that? Must have been doing in my sleep.

As to the loading of the campaign, what it's doing is cycling through all of the maps and loading each one before the campaign is fully loaded. It didn't used to do that. It used to just load one map and campaign was loaded.

So the filename/creature thing is a bug in 86?
Characters:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Filename/creature does seem to be a bug. I think I even read a post about it before, so I don't know the status of that.

I took an old map (b70) which has 5 maps on it, but I didn't experience what you were speaking of. I do have a question though. Do you have lib tokens on each map? Also, what framework are you using. I know PF/3.5 has a feature to go to a start map, but that would only account for one jump. Also, are you using a fix by wolf42(?) because I recall him doing some map changing stuff to avoid lib tokens from duplicating. But I could be wrong about the method actually. I think he just has an input popup to do the set up.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Actually, I do have Lib tokens on two different maps and one of them is wolph42's teleporter one. I'll try deleting his and seeing if it changes anything.
Characters:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

aliasmask wrote:Confirmed about the naming. I changed to "Creature", drag and drop from resource library gives me the file name for b86, but works correctly for b84. Ah, but if I drag the second token of the same name, it will say creature.
Hm. Well that's an unintended change! Thanks, I'll look into it.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Ok so the last odd behavior was caused by the lib for the autoteleporter. It was causing all of the maps to serially load before the campaign was completely loaded.

The creature vs filename was an unintended bonus feature. :D

And the size issue was my preference getting set wrong. Darn cat.

I'm a whole lot less confused today that I was yesterday.
Thanks
Characters:

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

mfrizzell wrote:Ok so the last odd behavior was caused by the lib for the autoteleporter. It was causing all of the maps to serially load before the campaign was completely loaded.

The creature vs filename was an unintended bonus feature. :D

And the size issue was my preference getting set wrong. Darn cat.

I'm a whole lot less confused today that I was yesterday.
Thanks
not quite..., if the onTokenMove is not correctly initialized it will do so onCampaignLoad, what it does than is cycle through the maps, looking for 'pads' when done it switches to the map where the onTokenMove lib is, saves the data and then switches back to the initial map (usually the one where you last saved the game). However after you've saved your campaign and reload it again, this should not happen again (as the lib is now properly initialized) if it still does, then it must be a bug.

edit: ah, no, its seems that it runs through all maps every time, to find the location of the lib token, I think this is unwanted behaviour. So its not a bug and its does happen every time and Im going to look for an alternative solution.

edit: ok 'fixed'

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Azhrei wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Confirmed about the naming. I changed to "Creature", drag and drop from resource library gives me the file name for b86, but works correctly for b84. Ah, but if I drag the second token of the same name, it will say creature.
Hm. Well that's an unintended change! Thanks, I'll look into it.
Wow, that's a confusing jumble of code! The drag/drop support tries to accept anything you throw at it: dragging from a web browser, dragging from the desktop, dragging from another application (like TokenTool or CharTool), and so on. And dropping may produce different results for GMs and players (GMs can put the incremented token number into the GM Name field, while players have to use the token name field).

This has been committed as SVN 5833 and I'd appreciate as much testing as you can think to do (see Testing subforum). Ideally I'd like to have people testing the drag/drop on a lot of different platforms as well (for example, GNOME on Linux handles drag/drop differently than KDE on Linux). I've only tested it on OSX. Things to change and test their effect include various Preferences settings: Duplicate Token Numbering, Show Numbering on, and New Token Naming. The "New Token Naming" field should force the name to "Creature" when that option is selected; previously token names were only changed if there was already an existing token on the map by the same name.

80083r
Kobold

Post by 80083r »

I'm ressurecting an old thread, I know - but I looked in the rest of the forum, and this issue doesn't seem to be mentioned again.

I'm having this issue with Windows 7 x64, Maptool 1.3.b87

To clarify - with these settings:
Maptool_settings.png
Maptool_settings.png (32.82 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
The first token I place on the map from a library resource is named after the filename, any subsequent tokens from the same resource get a random number.

This is a fairly low priority, I'm sure, as it means we just have to drag 2 tokens and then delete the first one - but I'd like to have some official word on whether this is going to be fixed for 1.3 or left as is in order to focus on 1.4?

I'm just as happy to have it left as is - but it would be nice when someone else goes searching for this issue to find a final answer.

Cheers,

80083r

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

It's been fixed since b88. You'll have to wait for the next official build to see it in play, however.

80083r
Kobold

Post by 80083r »

Lee wrote:It's been fixed since b88. You'll have to wait for the next official build to see it in play, however.
Cool, thanks!

Return to “MapTool”