BUG/Glitch - numpad zoom issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
drswoboda
Dragon

BUG/Glitch - numpad zoom issue

Post by drswoboda »

MT Latest build, JAVA 1.5.6, WinXP

Zooming the map with the keyboard issues.

If you use the top row keys (-) and (=) to zoom the map all is well. If you do a Shift = (+) then the map zooms in FULL zoom IN. The side effect of this behavior is that the Numpad has only (-) & (+) so there is no way to increment the zoom out with the Numpad.

I would suggest that the Numpad (+) be made to act like the top row (=) key.

Also, is there any way to implement the mouse pointer zoom center with the keyboard actions? Personally I am going to be using the mouse wheel zoom 99% of the time, but I just ran MT on a system without a mouse wheel and noticed this issue with the keyboard.

-David

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The SHIFT = (+) is designed to take youre view to 1:1. Help me understand the bug part of the topic, is it that the numpad + should work the same ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

You have the top row keys working without having to use shift key for zooming (-) & (=) and shift = (+) as 1:1 zoom. This works well as - = are one press zoom keys.

However, the numpad (+) key is like the Shift (=) key so it is 1:1 zoom. It would be better to have the numpad plus act like the shift (=) and be the incremental zoom function. A standard numpad doesn't have an (=) and that would be weird to use anyway.

This is a case where having two different keys doing the same thing would be a better choice. Plus Minus on numpad is the correct association for zoom, as is Minus Equals on the top row as it does not require the shifted state.

And if you later add the ability to remap all shortcut keys then the user can put the key arrangement how ever they feel best.

-David

trevor

Post by trevor »

Ahh, I got it.

Actually, the keys are behaving the same way in both cases, the + is assigned to 1:1, so it makes sense that the numpad version would do the same since it's the same character.

What I'm hearing is that it would be useful for the numpad + to act like the keyboard = ?

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

trevor wrote:Ahh, I got it.

What I'm hearing is that it would be useful for the numpad + to act like the keyboard = ?
Yes, I think that is the better arrangement. Then perhaps you could use the numpad ENTER key as your 1:1 Zoom. Any hope for centering key zoom around the mouse pointer?

-David

trevor

Post by trevor »

You betcha I already wrote the code to do that in the adjust grid tool, just need to copy it over. Thanks for the reminder, I"ll put in a tracker so it won't get lost

Return to “MapTool”