Feature Request - Drawing cursors

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
drswoboda
Dragon

Feature Request - Drawing cursors

Post by drswoboda »

I'm wondering if you can take a look at the drawing cursors and perhaps make a few improvements. When you start adding layers these tools are going to be used a lot.

Right now you use a cursor that is a crosshair to located the start point. This works fine for thin lines, but when you draw with wide lines you really don't have a feel for where the width of the line will be laid down. For instance if you drew a series of squares inside squares using progressively wider lines, you have to guess where to place the start point of the line to keep the lines from over lapping.

Could you add an indicatior to the draw cursors that would show the width of the line your drawing with?

Thanks!

-David

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I'll add a tracker for it.

As a side note, we're thinking about making it so that you can move a drawable while you are in the process of drawing it. That way, if you start a draw, and it's off by a little bit, you can just move it before you complete the draw.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Is this an indication that drawables are going to be editable vector shapes?

That would be nice and sure help when it comes to layers and deleting individual draw shapes.

About the cursors, if you have Photoshop, just take a look at what they do for cursors and keep the center crosshair for targeting location.

-David

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Take a look at this post:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... ght=vector

search for "vector".

Basically, the erase works by adding a drawable with an erase color. The drawables are then drawn from back to front, and applying the erase as you go.

If you were to move a drawable that is under an erase drawable, the part that was previously "erased" will now become visible again.

It's kind of a tricky thing. In fact, when I think about it, most vector drawing programs don't have an erase feature, but only an edit feature, perhaps a cut poly feature. So really we could either have erase, or edit, but not both.

Now we might still be able to come up with a way to select a group of drawables (which would include the erase drawables) and copy them, and perhaps move them together, but this might still have odd side effects.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

I have not played enough with the drawables and the erase color idea to really have a grasp of what the advantage of erase color of bitmap is over say a vector obj that you just delete (ignoring the programming issues), but I will play around before I comment again.

-David

Return to “MapTool”