Removing maps from campaign

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Malgus
Kobold

Removing maps from campaign

Post by Malgus »

I recently started using MapTool for a game I run at home, and am loving the way it is bringing my encounters to life, but I have a small problem. When working on a campaign, I sometimes choose the wrong properties for a new map and can't figure out how to delete it. Is there a way to remove maps from a campaign so I don't have any useless resources being used?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Removing maps from campaign

Post by Azhrei »

Sure. Use the Delete option on the Map menu. :D

Note that in b87 you can change (some of) the map properties by using Edit Map... on that same menu.

Malgus
Kobold

Post by Malgus »

Doh. I can't believe I didn't see that.

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

About that, since we have a reliable Edit map... menu option, shouldn't we get rid of "change name" and "Adjust Map Board..."? They seem a little redundant.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

patoace wrote:About that, since we have a reliable Edit map... menu option, shouldn't we get rid of "change name" and "Adjust Map Board..."? They seem a little redundant.
Well, is the "Edit Map" really reliable? I don't use it so I wouldn't know...

The source code patch from MetaGamer (?) said that editing a map wasn't really practical, so that menu option actually creates a new "shell" of a map then copies over the settings using the new ones as appropriate. Then the old map is deleted.

Could this mess up macros? (I don't think so because maps are always referenced by name.) But AFAIK it hasn't been used much. Or at least, I don't hear any reports about it, good or bad...

But yes, if people are convinced Edit Map works fine, we can remove the other two.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Azhrei wrote:
patoace wrote:About that, since we have a reliable Edit map... menu option, shouldn't we get rid of "change name" and "Adjust Map Board..."? They seem a little redundant.
Well, is the "Edit Map" really reliable? I don't use it so I wouldn't know...

The source code patch from MetaGamer (?) said that editing a map wasn't really practical, so that menu option actually creates a new "shell" of a map then copies over the settings using the new ones as appropriate. Then the old map is deleted.

Could this mess up macros? (I don't think so because maps are always referenced by name.) But AFAIK it hasn't been used much. Or at least, I don't hear any reports about it, good or bad...

But yes, if people are convinced Edit Map works fine, we can remove the other two.
Could have interesting implications with the undo/redo drawing bug. Perhaps may even be a temporary solution to the problem if it redraws the map from the vectors and would have a new undo/redo list.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

re: Edit Map

FWIW, I actually use it quite a bit.
  • Start a map with a square grid to lay down tiles and then switch it to hex grid.
  • Change the vision distance on a map to represent a change in visibility (clear vs mist or haze).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:FWIW, I actually use it quite a bit.
And you're not cussing and swearing in your post or spitting out epithets left and right, so should we just assume that it's working fine? "No news is good news" and all that?

In that case... Yes, we can remove the other map options.

The undo/redo is not stored per map (which is one of the myriad problems with it) so copying a map would have no impact on it.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:
Phergus wrote:FWIW, I actually use it quite a bit.
And you're not cussing and swearing in your post or spitting out epithets left and right, so should we just assume that it's working fine? "No news is good news" and all that?
If I had run into problems using it I would have said something. To date I have encountered no problems when using it.

Return to “MapTool”