Multiple Chat Boxes?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Kelose
Kobold

Multiple Chat Boxes?

Post by Kelose »

I was wondering if it is possible to have multiple chat boxes open, say one for each of my players and one for all of them. I know this can be crudely accomplished by mashing /w but then I dont get impersonations or emotes :(. I couldn't find much on this topic which kind of surprised me as I feel this is critical when splitting up the party. If there is any way to do this please let me know.(I am a fan of splitting up my PCs)

Thanks in advance

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Chat Boxes?

Post by Azhrei »

Nope, not in 1.3. There has been discussion about adding it in a future version, however.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There are a couple of user creations that kind of do that. One is made by Rumble(?), but I forget the name though.

Kelose
Kobold

Post by Kelose »

Would it be realistic for me to create a macro that mimics the chat box through whispers(complete with emotes and token pictures)?

Thanks in advance!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Kelose wrote:Would it be realistic for me to create a macro that mimics the chat box through whispers(complete with emotes and token pictures)?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, but not in the way you think. All of the "slash" commands MUST be the VERY first thing in a macro(and in the first macro called in a chain). So if you want to do emotes, you would have to fake it using html+css(which is what MT does internally anyway). You would also need to play around with several other macro commands such as Wiki: getTokenImage() and the MAIN thing you want is Wiki: broadcast(). But as AM said, someone has already done most if not all of this, so why re-invent the wheel?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I've recently created my own chat management for my game and so far it's working out pretty well. I have more stuff I want to do with it before I release it for primetime. Currently all it does is put a colored box around the text area (PC/NPC are different) and I added some styling formats so it's easy to distinguish different parts of speech like descriptions, quoted text, mental links and singing (I added tooltips around the text too). I added some html like commands /b for bold, /i italic, /y yell, /w whisper and these are simply text styles not direction as to who can read it. I'm working more on it today and I'm adding /gm for private chat with gm and few other commands. The huge benefit of what I have done so far is the ability to separate OOC from in character chat and save the transcript (without images). It's a part of my lib:players drop-in which includes a bunch of other player related tools. You can also impersonate a name without a token and it keeps the image even when changing maps or physical tokens (as long as the name is the same). MT chat does not do that normally.

fenghou
Kobold

Post by fenghou »

aliasmask wrote:I've recently created my own chat management for my game and so far it's working out pretty well. I have more stuff I want to do with it before I release it for primetime. Currently all it does is put a colored box around the text area (PC/NPC are different) and I added some styling formats so it's easy to distinguish different parts of speech like descriptions, quoted text, mental links and singing (I added tooltips around the text too). I added some html like commands /b for bold, /i italic, /y yell, /w whisper and these are simply text styles not direction as to who can read it. I'm working more on it today and I'm adding /gm for private chat with gm and few other commands. The huge benefit of what I have done so far is the ability to separate OOC from in character chat and save the transcript (without images). It's a part of my lib:players drop-in which includes a bunch of other player related tools. You can also impersonate a name without a token and it keeps the image even when changing maps or physical tokens (as long as the name is the same). MT chat does not do that normally.
Hello aliasmask,
I think it's a powerful feature, and I really want to use it...
I searched your topics but couldn't find where it is...
Could you give that program to me, or tell me where to get it?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Currently it's integrated with my framework, but I have some time now and I'll make it more portable and include a couple of tweaks I wanted to do with the new features of the dev version.

fenghou
Kobold

Post by fenghou »

aliasmask wrote:Currently it's integrated with my framework, but I have some time now and I'll make it more portable and include a couple of tweaks I wanted to do with the new features of the dev version.

Thank you for your efforts!
I will try your framework and wait for the standalone version patiently.

Return to “MapTool”