RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm 

Forum rules

PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:13 pm 
MapTool 1.3 build 87 lacks support for JAVA 7 at this point. Since that has become the default download, there have been many more error reports with the same information and solution. Here are the steps you can take to make sure you're using the correct version for MapTool.

• Download the correct 32/64bit version of Java 6u39 for your system. (jre-6u38-windows-x64.exe for 64bit Windows)
    How do you know if you have a 32bit or 64bit Windows? Click START, Right click "Computer" select "Properties". It should be listed under system type. Direct Downloads from Oracle (no sign in needed):
  • Install on to your computer.
  • Edit the mt.cfg file changing the JVM line. Make sure you're using the correct drive letter and file location for your install. These are the most common settings:
    Code:
    MAXMEM=1024
    MINMEM=64
    STACKSIZE=3
    JVM=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
    PROMPT=false

Note: With a new install mt.cfg doesn't exist until you run MapToolLauncher.exe. You can create a new file with that name with notepad or run MapToolLauncher, close MapTool then edit with notepad.

• Start MapTool with "MapToolLauncher.exe"
  • Verify your java version in b87 through the Help menu and the "Gather Debug Information" option. The java version will be displayed under Java Information.

These problems were fixed in build 88, but other bugs were generated that were more troublesome. Note that you can use both Java 7 and 6 on the same system. You just need to tell MapTool where to look. Thanks for your patience and I expect this will be resolved in the near future.

Update:
Apparently Java 7 version 10 has a bug where if used with MT it will not find the JAR file. You currently shouldn't be using Java 7, but if you get that error, this is why.

Update:
There is a related thread that discusses the one-click installation of java 6 with no extra configuration needed. Soon this will be moved to the HOWTO section with directions.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23237#p237034

Update: (4/1/13)
Just noting the latest and last direct links for java 6. I have not tested this with MapTool yet, but I plan to make a 2 minute video showing a fresh install of MapTool. For browser operation, they recommend installing both 32bit and 64bit versions for 64bit systems.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Re: Attention Windows Users and JAVA 7 using MapTool
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:48 am 
You might want to link java 6_64 as well as its A LOT faster then 32 (given that your system supports it obviously).

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II and onMouseOverEvent
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macro, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow

New Launcher & MT b90 & b91-BETA

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 am 
Do you mean the 64 bit version? That's included in the link. You chose one of the bottom 2. One is 32bit and the other is 64bit. The version is the same. In fact, I believe the 64 bit version includes the 32 bit version, but I'm not sure about that one.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 am 
aliasmask wrote:
Do you mean the 64 bit version? That's included in the link. You chose one of the bottom 2. One is 32bit and the other is 64bit. The version is the same. In fact, I believe the 64 bit version includes the 32 bit version, but I'm not sure about that one.

ah yes, I was looking for the link when I noticed that its the same one, maybe change the name into Java 6 32/64 ?.

Good post though!

edit: just noticed that its update 32, thats the confusion apparently. I thought you were talking about the 32 bit edition, but you were talking about update 32... must be my inner nerd... :roll:

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II and onMouseOverEvent
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macro, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow

New Launcher & MT b90 & b91-BETA

Kobold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:51 pm 
Thanks for the post! I didn't even know there was a problem with JAva 7 until my game Sat. night. Terrible time to find out my maptool is not working! I updated java to make for a different application and it crashed my maptool :( Any idea when a new version of maptool might be out to fix this bug?

User avatar  Offline
Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:01 pm 
meek75 wrote:
Thanks for the post! I didn't even know there was a problem with JAva 7 until my game Sat. night. Terrible time to find out my maptool is not working! I updated java to make for a different application and it crashed my maptool :( Any idea when a new version of maptool might be out to fix this bug?

Soon™

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm 
Or as Blizzard puts it, "Done when it's done."

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm 
aliasmask wrote:
Or as Blizzard puts it, "Done when it's done."

Oh crap, now I'm being compared to Blizzard?!?!

darned if that doesn't light a fire under my butt!

:mrgreen:

Kobold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:27 am 
Hello - looking for some support getting the maptools to work on my laptop.

I found this thread about the issues with Java 7 and followed the instructions, but it didn't help. the launcher will open, but the actual tool will not.

I even went so far as to remove all versions of Java except Java 6.32 32 but still no luck. Here is the sysinfo from my system, any suggestions? thanks!

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor....: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Home......: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
Java VM Vendor.: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java VM Version: 20.7-b02
Java Version...: 1.6.0_32
...............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_32-b05)
...............: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.7-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 7
OS Version.....: 6.1
OS Architecture: x86
Processor......: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
Number of Procs: 4

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:26 am 
The only time I've experienced MT not loading was when I didn't have enough memory to support my settings. Assuming your system has at least 4 gigs of mem for windows 7, uses the settings detailed (and the correct path to javaw.exe) and starting MT with the MapToolLauncher you should be getting something. I would try a reinstall of b87 just in case. Also, verify you have the latest video drivers.

Kobold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:59 am 
Well, for whatever reason the webstart version of b87 works just fine. Tried a dozen ways to get the other one to open, the launcher would show up, I could see my settings, click ok then nothing. Tried webstart and it opened like champ first time.

Go Fig.

thanks for the assistance!

Kobold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:21 pm 
I am having this problem but cannot find the file you suggested altering (mt.cfg). Is this likely to be in a default place or are you perhaps shortening it from some longer name? (the search box failed to find it). I am completely drowning in information at the moment with maptools, I feel like I'm climbing Everest with the learning curve and don't really feel inclined to do all this if it will just keep crashing :(

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm 
mt.cfg should be in your install folder. The same folder as MapToolLauncher.exe which uses that file. Do you have your folder options to show extensions? It may be cutting off the .cfg part. You can open the file with notepad.

Kobold

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:25 pm 
Perhaps I have done something wrong, I did not install maptools, simply extracted the zip file and launched from there. There is no mt.cfg file in this folder or either of the subfolders inside it. Of course I have no clue what is happening once I launch the program, it may be doing other stuff after that :S

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:34 pm 
Apparently the file is created when you run MapToolLauncher.exe the first time. You can create on your own in notepad with the settings in the OP.

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next