Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool

Post by Azhrei »

JamzTheMan wrote:FYI, i ran my game last night using Java 1.7 x64 on windows 8 using the latest code checked in and everything ran perfect :)

In fact, it was one of the smoothest runs in awhile. I think we are close once the decisions are finalized regarding the libraries to use...
Ah, thank you for that! I've been applying patches and haven't been sure the code has been working well. Obviously I've done some of my own testing on J7 but that's not the same as having lots of folks trying it out.

I'll be applying more patches tonight and tomorrow night and hopefully won't hit any snags...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

No prob, I will update and make another build later this week then for next week as well.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:FYI, i ran my game last night using Java 1.7 x64 on windows 8 using the latest code checked in and everything ran perfect :)

In fact, it was one of the smoothest runs in awhile. I think we are close once the decisions are finalized regarding the libraries to use...
Ah, thank you for that! I've been applying patches and haven't been sure the code has been working well. Obviously I've done some of my own testing on J7 but that's not the same as having lots of folks trying it out.

I'll be applying more patches tonight and tomorrow night and hopefully won't hit any snags...
do you have a counter or so...? e.g. 5 of 67 patches to go before launch...? :mrgreen:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

My "WontBeApplied" list has 7 entries. Some of those are because I fixed the issue in a different way.

My "NotAppliedYet" list has 16 items. Some of this list may have already been applied so part of what I'm doing is determining that. Some of these don't apply cleanly (they weren't built using the project directory as the root directory of the patch) and those are a pain to apply correctly since I have to play around with settings in the Eclipse patch manager or sometimes just edit the patch and manually fix it.

Edit: The 16 includes some things that aren't necessarily bug fixes (like the VBL macros) but that I'm going to try to get in there even though they're at the bottom of the list. Rumble's LoS tool is in this category as well.

I didn't get much done last night, so I'm going to try again tonight.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ya, i saw several of the patches were relative to the class only and not project. Although i found i could just navigate to the class and then "apply patch" and that seemed to work ok. Didn't have to fiddle with any settings.

Although most of the patches i then tried you already had committed to the trunk so i stopped :)

If there is anything I/we can do to help, let me know. Although I know most of it is just reviewing it personally so not much we can do there, you are officially the bottleneck as we say at work ;)
-Jamz

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Yep thanks for the heads up and the great work Azhrei

I hope that JamzTheMan's VBL features will figure in b89 or b90, as it will help me promote only one version to the French crowd (I packaged a configuration file with the unicode support addition, to add a bit more accented character support, even though it's not perfect). Since several frameworks I've written for the French community include Wolph42's BoT, it will be less confusing if the next MT 1.3 release supports these VBL features right of the bat, instead of an unofficial release.

Is there any chance for this additional text to figure in the mt.cfg file (JVM= line) in the future ? It's definitely make life a bit easier for FW creators in France.

Code: Select all

-Dfile.encoding="UTF-8"

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

booga wrote:Yep thanks for the heads up and the great work Azhrei
booga wrote:Is there any chance for this additional text to figure in the mt.cfg file (JVM= line) in the future ? It's definitely make life a bit easier for FW creators in France.

Code: Select all

-Dfile.encoding="UTF-8"
+1 on both points (especially if there's a way of doing the latter on a Mac).

philosmarkxyz
Kobold

Post by philosmarkxyz »

I copied these settings into my file, and now MapToolLauncer won't open. Any idea what's going here?

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

philosmarkxyz wrote:I copied these settings into my file, and now MapToolLauncer won't open. Any idea what's going here?
Can you input the entire content of your mt.cfg, using copy/paste ?

philosmarkxyz
Kobold

Post by philosmarkxyz »

booga wrote:
philosmarkxyz wrote:I copied these settings into my file, and now MapToolLauncer won't open. Any idea what's going here?
Can you input the entire content of your mt.cfg, using copy/paste ?
I spent 10 hours trying to troubleshoot problems with someone on here yesterday and ended up with a mess that broke my ability to run my game when google hangout started killing my microphone. I am just not going to touch this program until it is compatible with everything else I need to run my computer. I followed every instruction exactly as written and my machine is a mess now. I can't copy/paste every configuration file and directory on it, and I don't expect you're going to be able to figure out everything that went wrong with the ridiculous number of wipes and installs of java I did to try to get this program to run.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Sorry you had so much trouble, I've never had much trouble with MT so I'm not sure what went wrong in your case (I helped setting up MT through tutorials and sometimes help, for a least 50 people in the French community, and it all went well so far). I nevertheless understand your frustration. Hopefully b89 will solve these issues for you.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Any rough eta on this, I have just started playing again (hence my absence for so long).

One of my players has to have Java 7 for work - and is having some issues that I am not sure are Java 7, but I cant rule it out.

I have no idea how to compile a new build for my self - so kind of want to put off my next session till the next build if it's going to be soonish.

(I have an easy excuse, they go to France for a week next weekend, and though we can play while they are there it also gives me breathing time.)

I have been around long enough to know the caviate with any eta that is is subject to considerable change.

Cweord
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Thanks Wolf
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Return to “MapTool”