Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool

Post by Azhrei »

forgottensoul wrote:Is there any chance an updated version will be done by then or does the latest on Sourceforge work with version 7?
Yes, there is a chance. :)

I'm currently merging in the last few patches and many of those are Java 7 compatibility patches. There may be some issues with third-party libraries that we use but the problems that have been reported so far have been with MT code, not libraries, so I'm pretty confident that we'll be okay. I haven't decided whether to update the third-party stuff to the most recent version. On the one hand I'd like to just to stay as current as possible, but on the other hand it could expose bugs at a distant point down the line and then reverting could be difficult. :?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Sweet. Let me know when you're ready for testing.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

forgottensoul
Kobold

Post by forgottensoul »

Azhrei wrote:
forgottensoul wrote:Is there any chance an updated version will be done by then or does the latest on Sourceforge work with version 7?
Yes, there is a chance. :)
That is good news. Let me know if you need testing done.

Thank you for your hard work.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

RPTroll wrote:Sweet. Let me know when you're ready for testing.
there's already a test version from lee or tiorthan available on the forum. Quite a few issues have been fixed from that. If you haven't tested it yet I would certainly check that one out.

forgottensoul
Kobold

Post by forgottensoul »

Thank you.

I found the thread and I shall check it out.

Thread with dev build at:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... t=tiorthan

etherio
Kobold

Post by etherio »

Thanks for the tips on this thread. This is a great community.

Lysk
Kobold

Post by Lysk »

Allright, I have been using your tool for 4-5 months and have loved all of its features so far. Last week my mother board died on my loyal old comp and I just built this new one. Finally after doing installs and updates and drives I redownlaed map tools and it wont run. I tryed the things in this thread and the .exe will launch its little prompt with out any error but nothing else happens. I have the java 6 64 bit
MAXMEM=512
MINMEM=64
STACKSIZE=3
JVM=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
PROMPT=true
I can run the bat file but it wont allow me to save and if I launch it as admin I get an error saying "unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar"
Any help would be wonderfull
Sinerly,
Roman Paul Maslanka III

Sol Invictus
Cave Troll

Post by Sol Invictus »

Lysk wrote:I get an error saying "unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar"
That does sound like your Java 7 is messing with your machine. That seems to have happened to other users before, who were using the correct settings to run MT with Java 6, while still having Java 7 on their PC. Maybe uninstalling Java 7 will help.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Sounds like you're trying to run the program from a zip folder. Did you extract it? I know the windows zip folder looks like a normal folder and when you click it, you explore it like a normal folder. So, it's really easy to make that mistake.

Lysk
Kobold

Post by Lysk »

Orginally after assembling my new computer, I had to reaqurie winrawr. So I went found a copy installed it and then downloaded map tools and extracted the archive. However winrawr put a copy of the archive inside the folder. I uninstalled winrawr delted the copy archive got a fresh one and the same file is sitll there, though now its just a .jar file. I have no java 7 and the .exe doesnt start anything other then the memory allownce. The preset bin files work but I cant save any maps, beucase I apperntly have no permision however if I run them as an admin I get the same canont access maptool-*.jar. I did make sure to extract the folder, to make sure I have tred several times again haveing it extract all, it creates a seperte folder without the little zipper icon.

Sincerly,
Roman Paul Maslanka III

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

@AM: I've taken the liberty to edit your OP and add two direct links to java 6.38 windows. The last game I had one of my players had j7 installed and going through the whole make account request took a lot of time and annoyed the hell out of me. So I downloaded the installs into dropbox and dropped the links here.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I updated your links to official Oracle links which do not require logon and added additional information on how to find what version Windows you're using.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:I updated your links to official Oracle links which do not require logon and added additional information on how to find what version Windows you're using.
Even better!

jespley
Cave Troll

Post by jespley »

@Lysk I've been having the same issues. My work around is to use the web launch.

I love maptool but all these problems are really frustrating. I know it's a volunteer project and I appreciate everyone's time but I sure hope that a working updated version of maptool comes out soon.
Jared

jespley
Cave Troll

Post by jespley »

As a followup to my previous post, let me try to clarify my situation.

My group has been using b84 for a while to avoid the java 7 problems but I wanted to try out some frameworks that used b87 so I made a version of the campaign that used b87. However, our group had trouble (undoubtedly because of the java 7 incompatibilities) so we're trying to roll back to b84 rather than get our group of unevenly computer-savvy members all converted to java 6.

I have several older campaign files that I'm 100% certain were not created with b87 but when I try to open them with b84 they produce the error message that they cannot be read by this version of Maptool. If I open them in b87 they work.

Based on info in this thread, I tried to run b84 using java 6. I followed the directions (download b84, unzip, edit .cfg file to point to the correct path for java6). When I use .bat launcher I get the error message that "Unable to access the jarfile maptool-*.jar". If I use the .exe Maptoollauncher nothing happens. If I click on .jar file directly it launches. However, I still can't load the campaign files so presumably java 7 is still being called.

Basically, my entire history of maptool files is inaccessible to me unless I use b87 which causes other problems. Plus a wasted morning trying to figure all this out. Again, I know that everyone is a volunteer but hopefully you can see I'm trying but very frustrated. Thanks for any help!
Jared

Return to “MapTool”