Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote:Apparently the file is created when you run MapToolLauncher.exe the first time.
I think its only created if you change the default options on the launcher.exe

Pelthalas
Kobold

Post by Pelthalas »

Well, thanks for the replies but I think I will just have to wait for a version that works with Java 7. I am kind of annoyed that Java 7 is not backwardly compatible with Java 6, I thought the whole point of Java was it's compatibility! I would simply uninstall Java 7, but I suspect that would not work.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I currently have both Java 6 and 7 installed. By specifying the path to the ...\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe file in the mt.cfg file will tell MapTool which java to look at.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Jagged wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Apparently the file is created when you run MapToolLauncher.exe the first time.
I think its only created if you change the default options on the launcher.exe
Actually I am talking rubbish there ;) It was just that on a Windows 7 machine the mt.cfg file is stored deep in the user data directory :oops:

Pelthalas
Kobold

Post by Pelthalas »

I am feeling pretty stupid right now, I thought I had been running the program using maptoollauncher.exe but the shortcut was pointing at an older version of the program. When I ran the version in Build 87 the mt.cfg file was created and I was able to modify it with no trouble. The only thing I found was that as written, the code above brought up an error to say Java could not create a virtual machine (or something along those lines), however after adding .exe after the javaw I found it worked just fine. Thanks to all of you for your patience in dealing with my klutziness!

Faracus
Kobold

Post by Faracus »

I have set my JVM line to JVM=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw this is where the javaw file actually is, but when I try to run it, I get the error "Could not find the main class: Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw"

Jack of Spades
Kobold

Post by Jack of Spades »

Looks like the latest OS X update has disabled Apple's Java 1.6. Since Oracle doesn't offer 1.6 for OS X, it seems we're MapTool-less until one that runs with Java 1.7 is available.
C. Lee Davis

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Thank suks. Technically, you can use the broken one b88 with java 7, but you'll need to do your map building in b87 because of the two really bad bugs in that one.

I don't recall the specific errors in b87 with java 7, but some people can just close and continue. I think hosting is an issue.

Jack of Spades
Kobold

Post by Jack of Spades »

It's apparently only disabled weblaunch. Is there a way to launch MapTools without web launch? I'm not sufficiently Java-savy to know exactly what does what, but command line still shows 1.6:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)
C. Lee Davis

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I'm still on 10.6 and the latest Java update stayed with 1.6.

I don't know for Lion and Mountain Lion, but in Snow Leopard, in the Applications>Utilities folder you've got the Java Preferences app which should let you choose what Java version will run, if 1.6 is still there…

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

I got a new computer. Wonderful you say, yes it is. It also being new had the latest 1.7 but no Java 1.6

I moaned, I groaned. I searched everywhere. No 1.6

What I ended up doing was plugging in the old computer harddrive, found the folder named jre6 that held 1.6 and copied the whole thing. I put it in my archive folder and directed MapTool-1.3.b.87 to it. I haven't had an error message yet.

If someone would like a copy of the jre6 folder, I'll be happy to make it accessible somewhere, but it's too large for here.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

aethelflaed
Cave Troll

Post by aethelflaed »

It's on java's site, it's just not easy to find.
http://java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

aethelflaed wrote:It's on java's site, it's just not easy to find.
http://java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp
Thanks for link. I just noticed a message about using a 32bit browser where I may need to install both versions.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

I'm having trouble with this method of running java6.I have installed java6 in the right directoy,Icopied and pasted the command line fron the beggining of this post and when I select the exe,nothing happens.What else is there to do.The whole java7 thing has ruined some of my players from using maptools and have looked for alternatives like Roll20.They would rather use java7 because it has better security and many errors come up when using java7.We love using maptools but we have not been able to get this to work for us.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Well, you can have both java 6 and 7 installed on your machine. By changing the mt.cfg file to point to java6 library and running the MapToolLauncher.exe should not effect your use of java 7. But I hear ya. The only thing I want for Xmas this year is to have a working patch of MapTool.

Doing the above steps and not getting the desired result is usually because of either the wrong path is entered to java6 or the right path to the wrong version or someone is using shortcut to duplicate version of MapTool so the mt.cfg changes wouldn't matter (ie wrong directory). If you have a 64bit OS you need to download the 64bit version. So, if the path says Program Files (x86), then that is the 32bit version on a 64bit machine.

Return to “MapTool”