How to Install Sun Java6 on Ubuntu

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
ntzrmtthihu777
Cave Troll

How to Install Sun Java6 on Ubuntu

Post by ntzrmtthihu777 »

As most of you ubuntu users know, open jdk does not work for maptools. As you also likely know, the sun-java6-jdk package has been removed from the repositories, meaning no easy install for the average user. Fortuneatly, one kind soul has created a ppa repo that, while not containing the software itself (lest copyrights and such be infringed), downloads and installs the software from the official site. Using this method is supremely easy, even easier than my previous method (see spoiler if you are interested).

To install via this ppa run the following commands from terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer
It will ask you to accept the licence, choose yes and consider yourself set 8) Happy gaming!
Old method
The particulars are here, but there are a few issues that you may need to sift through to get it running right, however I will lay it out step by step here, to ease the process.

First, run this code to download the script and make it executeable

cd ~/
wget https://github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6/raw/0.2.6/oab-java.sh -O oab-java.sh
chmod +x oab-java.sh
Run the script with

sudo ./oab-java.sh
It will likely give you an error, packages fail to build. To fix, you need to download both jdk-6u35*.bin files from here, and copy both files to /var/local/oab/pkg (not sure if they exist before running this script or not, overwrite any *.bin files here)

Run the script again, then

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dropbox Referral Link - Join with this, and both you and I get an extra .5 gigabytes of storage, 2.5 total for you.

chap126
Kobold

Re: How to Install Sun Java6 on Ubuntu

Post by chap126 »

Is there information posted somewhere detailing whether the newest Maptool will support Open JDK?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

So far we'd had people in the Testers subforum indicate that the OpenJDK support is getting better (using the upcoming build 90). Most of the issues were with the networking stack and I believe those are fixed. IIRC there was also a problem with a third-party library we were using, but updating that library fixed the issue.

There is no specific thread for dealing with OpenJDK problems but it would be a really good idea to start one! If you have something to report regarding OpenJDK support, go ahead and start a thread here. The more people we get to read about it and test it, the better it will become.

Rawk
Kobold

Post by Rawk »

I am running on OpenJDK with Ubuntu 12.04. Everything seems to work pretty good save for one issue, every so often a context menu will get stuck on the screen, and I cannot find a way to clear it off.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Good to hear, thanks. Can you report the exact version of your Java install? Either run "java -version" at the command line or use the Help > Gather Debug Info... from inside MapTool.

trisoldee
Kobold

Post by trisoldee »

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and the forum and I was hoping someone might be able to help with what I think may be a similar issue. I'm on Ubuntu 13.04, as far as I know I've installed Java 8 but when I try to open either the maptool launcher nothing happens at all, when I try to open the .jar file I get an error message that I don't have anything installed to open a .jar. Any ideas? Not sure if it would make a difference but I've also installed playonlinux and WINE so I could install Office 2007.

Thanks for any assistance

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Im currently cleaning up the stickies, can anyone tell me whether this topic is still relevant??

edit: nvm, I've linked this page to the big newly created 'starters' page.

Return to “MapTool”