running on Raspberry Pi?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
billcoke
Kobold

running on Raspberry Pi?

Post by billcoke »

Has anyone tried to run the MapTool client on the Raspberry Pi with Debian OS installed?
Why am I'm asking? Well I'm trying to put together a digital gaming table. One of the designs I'm rolling around in my head is to:
- buy a 39" LED TV
- remove the stand
- build a frame/box to hold the TV, speakers, router, and PC
- I'd like the frame/box to be about 3" high

I'm shooting for a small size so it is portable and can be moved to different gaming locations.

The Raspberry Pi might suit my purposes as it is very small. Need to know if it will run MapTools though.

Just fishing.
Thanks,
Bill
Last edited by aliasmask on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from General Discussion to MapTool

Lee
Dragon

Re: running on Raspberry Pi?

Post by Lee »

If you're getting the RP for other purposes, I don't see the harm in trying it out. If solely for MT, then you might need to crunch some numbers before taking the dive.

It depends on how ambitious your campaigns are going to be because the chief obstacle you'll be facing is memory, even with model B. It'd be a lot easier if MT was able to run headless, but unfortunately, that's something for versions beyond 1.3 to accomplish.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I have a raspberry here but I havent done much with it yet. Trying MT is a good idea and I might add this to my project list.

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

RPi is cappible of running Maptools. I've found xRDP to be faster on the reffresh rate when working headless via Android or laptop running Windows or Ubuntu. For forwarding the desktop I suggest VNC though because you can setup a view only password for forwarding the desktop (mirrored) to a Nintindo Wii.

RPi install

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xdrp tightvncserver
sudo apt-cashe search java
# install JDK 7 or 8 from sun or open. Both seem to work.
Start and stop services

Code: Select all

# xRDP options
sudo service xrdp # start stop restart status
# start VNC server
vncserver :1
# stop VNC server
vncserver -kill :1
When starting VNC for the first time you'll be promted to enter first the controll then the viewer passwords and when connecting via client app or service it is the useage of one of those passwords that'll grant access to either control or only view the desktop. Currectly I've my RPi v.B2 controlled via Android and displaying the view on my Wii connected T.V. :-D
The really tricky bit is getting the geometry on both clients set such that the controller sees everything and the viewer connection sees only the map section.
I have ported Maptools Mobile for Android.
link to guide to do it yourself step by step
Maptools on ARM (Android & Pi)
or
rptools [Guide] thread
link to script to use after using section 1 of above guide
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

Starrider
Kobold

Post by Starrider »

[quote="S0AndS0"]RPi is cappible of running Maptools. I've found xRDP to be faster on the reffresh rate when working headless via Android or laptop running Windows or Ubuntu. For forwarding the desktop I suggest VNC though because you can setup a view only password for forwarding the desktop (mirrored) to a Nintindo Wii.

How is the performance on the RPi? does it function well as a host server?

Return to “MapTool”