[Cyberpunk 2020] Interest Check in a Framework

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [Cyberpunk 2020] Interest Check in a Framework

Post by aliasmask »

Cherno wrote:I think I'm gonna make some icon graphics for data fortresses and maybe some other netrunning stuff... Currently thinking about making them in the slick chrome style from my Shadowrun project or more like 80s computers with simple white or green on black pixelated "graphics"... I sense need for a lot of tinkering and comparison shots!

In the meantime, here's some stuff I quickly threw together in case I ever need a CP2020 font.

My favourite is the second one with the heavy pixelation, reminds me of early 90s Amiga games :)
Spoiler
I like the last one because it's clean looking and has a unified spacing (all the letter look to form a square). I'm definitely going to include some fancy frames. Maybe not this style: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 15#p233564 but something more than the regular look to it.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

I was bored so I just fired up photoshop and made some useless but fun things.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Cherno on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Aaand the World Net Map :)
Spoiler
Spoiler

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Must.. stop...
Spoiler
Here's some more tokens, I love those stark black and white contrasts as seen in Frank Miller's Sin City.
Spoiler
Image Image Image Image

AaronAlso
Kobold

Post by AaronAlso »

I'm very excited about the video game, but honestly CDPR isn't gonna be able to do Cyberpunk justice with a 2 year development plan. I don't expect to see a launch date until 2015 and final launch being at least a year after that. To the best of my knowledge there has not been any official talk of a new/updated P&P game.

I'm eager to give ideas regarding the development of a Cyberpunk 2020 framework. I'm a huge fan, it is certainly my favorite P&P role-playing game. My first suggestion would be to use the Reference Document available from node16. It has all the supplemental rules consolidated into one place. Anything worth doing is worth doing right; the first time.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Once more in chrome...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Image Image

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Today I'm working on organizing skills. From what I can tell, most of the skills are kind of fast and loose, ie you can make up your own skills. I think this will give me a chance to massage skills in to groups just for naming convention. I may put things like drive and pilot in to one category. Drive: Vehicle, Gyro, Heavy Machinery.

I'm not specifically familiar with netrunning rules quite yet, so I'm not sure what I'll do about that at this point.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

I could try and write a behind-the-scenes look so we better understand the netrunning rules. Things like variables needed and how they interact with each other.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'll take whatever resource you can provide. If you can make a chart and/or lists to condense the ruleset, that's all I was going to do before I start programming anything.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

I'm halfway through the Netrunning chapter, it's actually pretty easy with only a few rolls/macros and stats that need to be included.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Okay, I've been reading about the netrunning and it seems to be it's own game for a solo player. Browsing around I found this: http://vfte.cyberpunk.co.uk/index.php?showforum=101

Which talks about a simplified method to do netruns. I haven't read it yet, but I wouldn't mind getting some input on this. I wouldn't mind having netruns where all the players have the option to enter the virtual world to accomplish a task together.

As it stands in the rules, I think netrunning would be an add on to the framework and I'm not going to concentrate on it for the core. I'll include the net skills and functions to make the rolls, but will avoid any mechanics for navigating a virtual world. Too much overhead to think about at this point in development. I see it mostly as a graphics project as well, with creation of all the icons for programs, net structure and other features. It's something that would look really cool and I could randomly generate systems, but it doesn't add much to roleplaying for the group as is. I had the same problem with Spelljamming in DnD. Only one person is flying the boat and it ain't over quick.

theaceofjs
Kobold

Post by theaceofjs »

I'm starting a game of cyberpunk that I'll be GMing, so I very much looking forward to this getting finished, since I'm very new to maptool and know none of the macro language.
I would offer to help with rules, but I think I'm just as green (probably much more so) as you are, but if you need anything I'd be happy to help however I can.
I'm looking forward to playing with this!

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

I was using that net.run set of rules for my campaign, and that's what my Framework uses (link above). My macros include an interface where the netrunner can reconfigure his Commands and Targets before a run, then there is an interface where the hacker chooses a command, a target, the GM enters the difficulty, and the result is given in the chat. I found this system to work better than the vanilla system, and allow to get rid of all the softwares, ICE apps. It's also more streamlined to use when the netrunner helps his team's during an infiltration/exfiltration, assault, etc... If you're interested, I can translate those macros into English for you and you can plug them in your FW.

However, unless the net.run has changed since I used it, it is still a bit of a game within a game, but less than the vanilla game.

AaronAlso
Kobold

Post by AaronAlso »

Netrunning can be a hassle for a GM. It was originally designed as a type of solo stand alone game. It became such an issue that R.Talsorian even published a book called "Hardwired" that redefined netrunning and changed the way they worked in the game mechanic. When I have ran a CP2020 game I find that someone usually wants to be the hacker but no one wants to deal with all the hassle of running a side quest before the mission can start. I generally use something like what Booga was mentioning. I set a difficulty for the hack and approach it like a skill challenge in D&D; so many successes before so many failures.

Return to “MapTool”