Some players can't see the map

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Asio
Kobold

Some players can't see the map

Post by Asio »

I've recently faced an issue when some players can't see the map, that is the most background image, only flat color defined in the map's background properties. Tokens, objects, vision and things on the background layer - those work fine.

The interesting thing is that only some players have this issue and I was not able to pinpoint the exact parameter that makes the difference. I am suspecting that the map image file resolution can be the problem (14000 by 16000). But the file size is only 3,5 Mb and I doubt any modern computer will have trouble handling it.

I would be thankful for any advice.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Some players can't see the map

Post by wolph42 »

yup, large mapsize increases the chances of the data transfer to FU somewhere. I would suggest you split it up into 2 images and then try again.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Some players can't see the map

Post by Full Bleed »

Asio wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:37 pm
The interesting thing is that only some players have this issue and I was not able to pinpoint the exact parameter that makes the difference. I am suspecting that the map image file resolution can be the problem (14000 by 16000). But the file size is only 3,5 Mb and I doubt any modern computer will have trouble handling it.
The storage size of the file isn't usually the problem. A 3.5 meg file isn't much for today's typical transfer speeds. However, compression is why that file is so "small". Once MT opens the file it's no longer compressed and its got to manipulate a lot of pixels. That's a lot of memory for a single asset. You can save that 3.5 meg file as an uncompressed file format (like a non-lzw Tif file) and open that in MT. The file will be much bigger than 3.5m. The memory usage will be virtually the same.

What memory settings are your players using?

I recently tried using a 16400x23600 file, using a 4G max mem setting and MT would not display that with my framework running. I can confirm that 4G does fine with a 9500x7000 world map I use though (which would use, roughly 1/4 the memory of the image size you're trying to use.) I'm giving MT 8G now and I suspect it would work with the previous massive image, but my players can't all be expected to run that much so I've fragmented that map to be more friendly to 4G setups.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”