RPTools "next" Git Repository

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
username
Dragon

Re: RPTools "next" Git Repository

Post by username »

Uploaded some things to the repo again. It now has some prototypical implementation of everything major I could think of. Everybody is invited to make comments on things I have overlooked. Otherwise, it's time for some "real" functionality. Some interesting findings for dev people:

* I had problems getting JavaFX to do as I wanted. While it is an improvement over Swing, the binding between FXML and Java is rather tight. I was thinking of having the simple "view controlling" imlemented in javascript to allow for easy GUI modifications in line with "easy" FXML, while only passing the heavy duty stuff to Java. A decoupling here would allow easier development of other clients, say in HTML5. (May still be related to my inexperience with JFX, but stackoverflow shows others have related problems.) It's also hard to test-drive some of the things, because of certain final methods and classes.

* Rhino is somewhat hard to understand. It is not well documented and you need to learn a lot by trial and error. It is to be replaced by Nashorn in Java 8, I hope they don't change too much of the internals, one definitely needs to touch those to get things working. I wonder whether we should wait for Java 8. Anybody know whether a back-port of Nashorn is planned for Java 7 or should we stick to Rhino even in Java 8?

* cglib is cool :-)

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Glad to see things are still evolving here, even if it's still far over my head by now. Thanks for your work.

Sadly I won't be able to help until something can be user tested :cry:

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Good deal. Can't wait to see what JavaFX can do. Not sure about Rhino. I would go with whatever Java 8 supports best since we likely won't see 2.0 until 8's been out for a while.

What is cglib?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

username
Dragon

Post by username »

Additional:

* A GUI can be designed in SVG (e.g. inkscape) and later converted to FXML. I've tried it and it works, although I haven't been using the more complex filters - but those time consuming operations shouldn't be used anyway.

username
Dragon

Post by username »

I have moved on to Java 8, which includes JFX, whereas with Java 7 I still had to add it separately. Some interesting finds:
- Maven has a JavaFX plugin, which supposedly yields RPMs, EXEs or DMGs as artifacts (stuff to deliver natively instead of jars). That could help us a lot. It also claims to take care of the JRE and signing of Jars. I haven't tried it.
- Scenebuilder works, but is kind of sluggish on my computer. But then, my machine is slowly falling apart software-wise :-(
- The Java 8 JFX has introduced some incompatibility with respect to Java 7; "builders" fail.
- Judging from volume in the MT2 threads, I don't know, if anybody is interested in design scribblings of mine. I can attach a mindmap and screenshots.
- As always, Github contains my latest stuff.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

username wrote:I have moved on to Java 8, which includes JFX, whereas with Java 7 I still had to add it separately. Some interesting finds:
- Maven has a JavaFX plugin, which supposedly yields RPMs, EXEs or DMGs as artifacts (stuff to deliver natively instead of jars). That could help us a lot. It also claims to take care of the JRE and signing of Jars. I haven't tried it.
- Scenebuilder works, but is kind of sluggish on my computer. But then, my machine is slowly falling apart software-wise :-(
- The Java 8 JFX has introduced some incompatibility with respect to Java 7; "builders" fail.
Still a bit above my head by now, but glad to see you're still working on it.
username wrote: - Judging from volume in the MT2 threads, I don't know, if anybody is interested in design scribblings of mine. I can attach a mindmap and screenshots.
I would be interested :D

username
Dragon

Post by username »

Don't expect too much. I will probably put the code that produces this into the Repo soon.
Network Dialog
mt2.network.png
mt2.network.png (36.46 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Layers Dialog
mt2.layers.png
mt2.layers.png (54.33 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Exit Dialog
mt2.exit.png
mt2.exit.png (44.97 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Central structure
Central Frame.jpeg
Central Frame.jpeg (251.45 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Object context menu
Objects.jpeg
Objects.jpeg (12.59 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Thanks a lot. Looks promising.

badsequel
Giant

Post by badsequel »

Thank you, username!
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Looks good.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

username
Dragon

Post by username »

I added a few things. Including testfx, which presumably makes it very simple to write regression tests even for non-developers. I doubt that, but it should definitely make it easier for dev's to create testcases from descriptions. Anyway, for those willing to check out git repos:
* grid layer (relatively) complete
* image layer can move stuff around
Next on list is:
* grid movement
Actually, there is so much on that list, I wonder why I keep at it. 8)
Even more actually, it would be a good time to break things down into small bits and list what you would consider the prerequisites for a (pre-)alpha-version.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I don't have time right now to give it a serious thought, but I'll surely come back later :D

Thank you very much for your work.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

username wrote:Anyway, for those willing to check out git repos:
Next on list is:
* grid movement
I'm not sure to get it right: are the two first points the only ones to be tested by now or is there other things implemented?
username wrote:Even more actually, it would be a good time to break things down into small bits and list what you would consider the prerequisites for a (pre-)alpha-version.
In a very rough way, I would say, first, let's take aside all that has something to do with scripting. Then let's focus on what can be reproduced from 1.3 capabilities. May be in this order:
  1. basic maping
  2. token handling
  3. FOW
I don't remember what new functions were planned: map layers, FOW layers, new scripting language? (I'll try to take time to browse the old threads)

username
Dragon

Post by username »

JML wrote:
username wrote:Anyway, for those willing to check out git repos:
Next on list is:
* grid movement
I'm not sure to get it right: are the two first points the only ones to be tested by now or is there other things implemented?
You are pretty close to the grizzly truth with the first. Its technical, prototypical stuff for probably most of things, but functionaly you have to search the needle in the haystack for what actually is the prototype. :twisted: That was the original intention.
JML wrote:
username wrote:Even more actually, it would be a good time to break things down into small bits and list what you would consider the prerequisites for a (pre-)alpha-version.
In a very rough way, I would say, first, let's take aside all that has something to do with scripting. Then let's focus on what can be reproduced from 1.3 capabilities. May be in this order:
  1. basic maping
  2. token handling
  3. FOW
I don't remember what new functions were planned: map layers, FOW layers, new scripting language? (I'll try to take time to browse the old threads)
This beast is faaaaaaar from adding any new functionality. The basics you mention, like "handling" are rather coarse grained capabilities. But I think I understand. What is "basic mapping", though. Would that mean editing a map? Because I would see importing an image (a premade map) sufficient to test the architecture. I don't think many people will use MT to draw a map that they then use elsewhere.

Be reminded that I am still in "slow trickle" mode and the call for volunteers is still out.

username
Dragon

Post by username »

Just a sign of life.

Maybe some design work you might be interested in. You can now manipulate images:
scale (x, y, x+y), rotate, move and each either free or snapped to grid. Keep in mind that the whole map needs to be manipulated as well (scaled, moving on the map, etc.) which buttons (shift, etc.) should they be mapped to? I know 1.3 handles token and object layers differently. I wonder whether that is a good thing(tm).

From an overall view, we now have automated integration testing and I started mapping.

Return to “MapTool”