Maptool app for android

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Maptool app for android

Post by S0AndS0 »

:twisted: Sweet a place to make an introduction... :twisted:
Howdy all I'm new to the form as far as join date :roll: but I've been learning for years from places like this.

I work mostly on the mobile side of development in my free time, of which I've a good deal of now, making things happen that the manufacture never intended.

I drive for a source of income.

But most importantly I'm here now to start making Maptools run on rooted android phones and tablets with full networking capabilities (I don't have an apple device but I'm more than willing to develop on that platform as well). I've been working round the problem for more than six months now and I believe I can now post to you all that it is very near success. There are other things that I'm working on on the same system (android/linux hybrid) that could have perfound changes in how we all use our devices but that is for the perinoid and feer mongers to shiver over when they see what I'm doing, or for those that see what it is to drool over and replicate with me, and not for the public here unless they want to offer my a job in R&D or something like that...

any who...

hope I caught your interest in running maptools naively off the android platform as this is one of my main goals and is very near fruition; some things to keep in mind if you follow me down this path, you'll need at least one rooted android device and you'll want to install linux on to it (directions in my guide will give you 4 methods to do so that don't touch the android system unless you tell it to.. there will be more to come so that every android device has a chance of running maptools.. I'm Big on making things compatible, mobile, and easy to follow) and then java "headfull" jkd and jre from java directly. Then you can install the linux compatible executable for maptools (run the .Jar) and run it as though you're running it from a desktop computer, from there many of the directions for networking so that you can have other users connect in has already been partiealy compiled in my guide but there are still things I'm missing for long distance networking(but I'll be documenting it in the future and if you're not willing to wait on me then, it's linux, there be tones of things it'll do for you if you look up regular linux guides, but I find the best stuff searching the raspberry pi linux developer communities), furthermore you can still connect a larger screen and keyboard to this system that I purpose (directions for that are completed withing the document and I'll be adding even more when I get USB Hosting spliced together, which stretch goals would be to have a USB stick that I can plug into an Android device and run all tasks from that instead of the SD card of the device) so that wile you're at a place with your main game development and hosting computer you can actually pull up a full screen (or windowed mode) of the "desktop" running on your android device (this is Remote Desktop Protical or RDP for those that are unfamiliar with the consent) this will allow all users with an android phone to develop as we normally do with maptools on our computers, but then if ya need to go somewhere else, it's just as easy as saving and exiting your work, grabbing your android device, clicking the RDP app on the device, and resume your work, because all the work is actually saved and run from the android device and the only thing your computer is doing is "remote controlling / remote viewing" what is, hopefully, going to blow your minds, the ones that are still with me to this point, is this, nearly every thing that I'm doing here will be running nativly on the ARM prossessor .

Yes this is a lengthy introduction but I'm still more of a ghost within the maptools community than in the other communities on the web that I frequent for development projects so I figure I'll make this one count and let you all find me for a little wile. I will encourage you that are interested in mobile Maptools on android to contact me. As I find time I may end up posting a modified version of my guide specifically written for Maptools, But, that's still a few days away as I'm still writing the draft for that.

And again; hello, nice to meet you, how can I help?

Edit 05232013: following link is where I'll be answering questions on this forum for now, I'll update you all when I've my own thread here for running Maptools on android.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18619
and you all can also comment on the Google docs versions of the guide as I'll see those comments first and adress them as quickly as possible.
I have ported Maptools Mobile for Android.
link to guide to do it yourself step by step
Maptools on ARM (Android & Pi)
or
rptools [Guide] thread
link to script to use after using section 1 of above guide
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Nice to meet you ...

Post by wolph42 »

Wow, where to start... Well: welcome to maptool. And thank you for bearing gifts in your introduction.
Something as big as this though should not be posted here but in a separate forum.
Can a moderator move this post to a separate post with a shadow post here? Id do it myself but I'm on holiday with a mobile phone. Not ideal.

What else: there is already an app for iDevices but I've tested it and it never worked properly. A search here should using google should bring some results...IRC Mapnakotic it was called.

Anyway as I said before: thanks and welcome.

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: Nice to meet you ...

Post by RPTroll »

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the community.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Re: Maptool app for android

Post by S0AndS0 »

Hey cool, didn't see that someone had made this a separate post till today (08082013)....

Glad that you all are just as excited as I about this... Oh and it works now :-) and there be a script that works for the most part in setting everything up that I wrote and linked into my sig and the guide thread and the Maptools guide (though looks like one of the links is pointing to the wrong guide... it'll be fixed shortly)

Furthermore to add to more good news on this fount; I've rooted one of my friends "Droid X" and set them up with almost everything to succeed in one night (really it was two nights but that's on him for not sitting down for a minuet to read :-D ) was really easy to root that device, there was a free app for it on the market place, and then just run through all the directions for setup. Last I checked the guy I helped out only needs to download the installer script and Java JDK 7 soft float and he'll be ready to rock and roll.

I've been working on a "all in one" mod installer script that will encompass all of the projects that I'm working on porting to Android Linux duel boot environments; of which the ones I'm working on completing/compiling into the "all in one" are, JavaJDK installation, Python2+ installation, Crazyflie control software installation, Penetration testing software installation, Openstack installation, jMonkey installation, Maptools installation, and any others that get requested by users that interest me :-)

Note: the above list of things I'm working on is nearly completed. The installations for Openstack, PenTesting and Crazyflie are under construction currently. The installations for Java, Maptools, jMonkey are ready for testing in other scripts and function for most distributions of Linux now. The work for Crazyflie and PenTesting is so very close to being completed that I may have news on that within the week; Openstack though is a "beast" of a learning curve but I've been circling round it for many a moon and hope to have something testable within a season.

On the subject of Maptools on ARM specifically again. Within the thread that I started for handling guidance (second link in my sig currently I think) you will find links out to the google doc guide, screen shots of Maptools running natively on my myTouch 3g (it's going on 5 or 6 years old so this should work on a phone that you may have kicking round from an old upgrade ;-) instead of risking your daily use device to this kind of modding) and some other quick tips to keep new users from running into to many problems. I've been as therow as possible with the guide and related scripts and have had them used by others without causing global catastrophe so I'll call this an "alpha" release of a working solution for "Maptools Mobile"

I've also set up a "tip-jar" (currently the easiest way to use it is through XDA) for those that wish to say thanks that way and support me in developing an app to; handle things for you all on the set up side; then open "views" into the system in such a way that Android displays parts of Linux running in a better format layout; and many more features I plan on cooking into my Linux on Android companion app. I'll also be working on Raspberry Pi and other hardware platforms, like the Nintendo Wii and PlayStation Portable and be porting much of my work and adding communications/networking solutions between them. Which will be on the order of coolness that some may not be ready to handle all at once :-D as the end goal for the entire project is the capability to plug any device into another, click some buttons, wait a few minuets, unplug, and all previously connected devices now communicate and share computing power adaptively across any hardware you've got kicking round.... so I suppose it's more of a "mad science tip-jar" but it's there for those that want to use it.

I've the Guide thread that I made on the document request side of things set up to notify me if anyone hits it with a comment, so I'll be prompt with replies for support requests, and now that I know this one is here I'll be kicking round here too if I see any action.

Thanks all and welcome to all.
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Not to diminish the serious work that has gone into this so far, but there was another thread about someone running Maptool in an Ubuntu VM on Android and I wondered how these two solution compared?

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24114

Az removed the picture the guy had up because it was big (I wish the forums would resize over sized photos), but it certainly looked like he had MT running on his phone.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

Full Bleed wrote:Not to diminish the serious work that has gone into this so far, but there was another thread about someone running Maptool in an Ubuntu VM on Android and I wondered how these two solution compared?

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24114

Az removed the picture the guy had up because it was big (I wish the forums would resize over sized photos), but it certainly looked like he had MT running on his phone.
Good find; the difference is that I've gone to the trouble of documenting all required instructions (after achieving root) and then went about drafting up a script to handle a bulk of the install/setup work. The methods the guide will step you through will give you the option of Ubuntu, Squeeze or Lenny... though if you like you can experiment with another distro... and as to pictures, I've provided screen caps of Maptools running on my myTouch 3G slide (this device has a 600mhz processor and low memory specks and yet it still runs) though it maybe hard to believe as the screen caps where taken through RDP'ing in to the phone; I'll likely be putting up ones of what it looks like on device (picture of me holding Maptools) but that'll be in the future :-)

But all in all there's little difference between the other thread's author's post and the methods discussed in the guides I've put together. It really is as easy as installing Linux, then Java, then Maptools.

So yeah, check it out and let me know if you've gotten stuck or have more questions-
-here to help :-D
S0AndS0 wrote: (XDA)
Update 08102013- Until I get Google command line down and tested use the following link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qJo ... sp=sharing
to keep up with all the mods that I make scripted. Options 1-4 in the script should work just fine :-D Options 0 and 5-7 don't work just yet, future updates will complete them and Options 8+ will be used for more mods that I write up or are requested by others.
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

Update for today only.
check here http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 94#p245594 to find info on how to connect to my maptools server running compleatly off cell phones (Android running Linux running Java running Maptools) it works. Let me know on that thread what you think :-D
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

Return to “MapTool”