[RESOLVED]: MAPTOOL WILL NOT LAUNCH

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wolph42
Winter Wolph

[RESOLVED]: MAPTOOL WILL NOT LAUNCH

Post by wolph42 »

EDIT: MT VERSION 91 IS NOW OFFICIALLY RELEASED, INCLUDING THE NEW LAUNCHER!! (which you need to run mt in j7): http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads
MTb91 is compatible with J8 HOWEVER there is currently a stylesheet bug where if you use 7 or more styles in a frame it will NOT show the frame.
The old post
To all (new) users who have trouble launching maptools. Currently NO OFFICIAL VERSION of maptool will launch in java 7. This due to a change in j7.

this is the error you'll get:
"Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar"
J7 no longer accepts * for input, rendering the launcher.exe useless.

The solution is however very simple. Two options:
- get the new launcher:
maptool-launcher-130829.01.zip
(110.53 KiB) Downloaded 1304 times
--> unzip it and copy paste the content directly into the maptool install directory. If it asks to overwrite anything: yes.
--> then delete the .cfg file
--> delete the .exe file (You need to run launcher.jar to start MT)
--> turn off smileys in the settings (its bugged)

- get maptool 1.3b90 & 91-beta
b90 has been up and using for close to a year now and its the most stable version in years. Not only will it launch but the upnp to set up a server also works once again for this version. This is the last build provided by one of the Devs.
b91 is a more recent version where the last patches were applied by a forum user (in the help it thus will still say b90).

If you want my opinion: go for the second option.

- Clydes (.bat) launcher
- Maptool forks list by (Me)^3

Compnob
Kobold

Re: HELP: MAPTOOL WILL NOT LAUNCH - READ ME

Post by Compnob »

What Java should i install to run option 2?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Compnob wrote:What Java should i install to run option 2?
doesnt' matter (for both options). In general I would advise you to always keep latest version of java on your PC, if not only for security reasons, which currently is j7_51

Jello
Kobold

Post by Jello »

Hi. I just found this tool and I'm interested in learning how to use it, but I didn't see anything pinned about the problem I'm having, so I apologize in advance for posting here.

I don't think my problem is Java, although I do have a version of Java 7. I downloaded the newest version of the tool and extracted MapTool to my desktop. I opened MapToolLauncher.exe and the settings window popped up. When I click OK, and error comes up "Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar" Then I followed the instructions in this thread and the same error is coming up.

There's a jarfile in the folder is extracted the program to. Am I doing something wrong?

Akodo Makama
Giant

"Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar"

Post by Akodo Makama »

Jello wrote:Hi. I just found this tool and I'm interested in learning how to use it, but I didn't see anything pinned about the problem I'm having, so I apologize in advance for posting here.

I don't think my problem is Java, although I do have a version of Java 7. I downloaded the newest version of the tool and extracted MapTool to my desktop. I opened MapToolLauncher.exe and the settings window popped up. When I click OK, and error comes up "Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar" Then I followed the instructions in this thread and the same error is coming up.

There's a jarfile in the folder is extracted the program to. Am I doing something wrong?
That is the error message this thread is about. Java 7 no longer processes the * in jarfile names the way it used to, breaking the old launcher. The new launcher posted above will solve this.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

If v90 has been the most stable version for 7 months, why isn't it up on the rptools website? Is that site still being updated?
MapTools Forks: Thread

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeMeMe wrote:If v90 has been the most stable version for 7 months, why isn't it up on the rptools website? Is that site still being updated?
Honestly? Good intentions gone bad. Az had a long list of things he wanted to do before releasing it (i.e. patches to add and other issues to address) and he's just been too busy (or unmotivated) to push what has been done. We've probably heard at least 4 times that it would be out in a few days to a week and then real life must have swooped in and put it on the back burner.

At this rate Mote will be out before an official b90 and it really won't matter.

I believe that most of Mote was forked off of b89 and surely includes all of Lee's b90 patches (of which there are many). At this point I suggest that anyone using b90beta should really make sure that Lee gets important "new" b90 features into Mote to maintain continuity for b90beta users as they switch over to Mote with the rest of us.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

Sorry for the late reply.
I hadn't heard of Mote. (I've been out of touch for a few years!). It looks very interesting. Is there a rough release date?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeMeMe wrote:Sorry for the late reply.
I hadn't heard of Mote. (I've been out of touch for a few years!). It looks very interesting. Is there a rough release date?
You can scan through their webpages to get some updates: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24863
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

Thanks.

Clyde
Cave Troll

Post by Clyde »

Greetings everyone.

Well, since people will hardly find my thread and since the current version of the .90 start file is roughly similar to my solution to launching maptool, i wanted to post here as well for combining our efforts.

For the .89 and older versions you can follow this link http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24711 , to get a very handy and slightly different solution to the divers starting bugs. Well, of course it also works with .90 .

Regarding comment for the second opinion:
My opinion of the .90 version is, that it really runs fast and smooth and is the best version of MT that has been there for quite some time. I hope the last bug is solved soon.

@Wolph:
regarding the current method of starting the .90 version:
My first version of the launcher also used this method
"set mtpath=%~dp0"
to get the current path, but there where divers problems, which i cannot recall.

Also relying on Windows to know where the Javafiles are, will cause trouble in some cases (that sounds strange, but i had a far greater usability when i just assumed the locations of the Javafiles. Of which you can be pretty shure, since as soon as you install java, a version of it is copied to the Windows\system32\ folder (respectively for 64 bit versions)).

With dear regards,
Clyde.

Clyde
Cave Troll

Re: HELP: MAPTOOL WILL NOT LAUNCH - READ ME (+ LATEST MT BUI

Post by Clyde »

There are problems using Maptool with IPv6.
For a quick Solution follow this link to the Working Launchfile
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 01#p252901

With best Regards,
Clyde.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Re: HELP: MAPTOOL WILL NOT LAUNCH - READ ME (+ LATEST MT BUI

Post by MeMeMe »

I've had significant issues using this launcher. The issue is the same one as shown in this thread: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25133

Whenever I open any framework using this launcher, it doesn't take long before I have redraw issues. I have tried over half a dozen frameworks, and the issue crops up sooner or later. With some it's almost immediate, with others it takes 10 minutes or so of fiddling with tokens before it happens. But it happens eventually, with every framework I have tried.
When I use the alternative launcher from http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24711, I don't have these issues.

I have looked at the dos launcher in that link, copied the memory settings and entered them in the config launcher, and it still happens, so that makes me wonder if the memory is being set properly, or if there's some other issue.

Return to “MapTool”