Strange display issue with mouseover

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
KrazyTrumpeter05
Kobold

Strange display issue with mouseover

Post by KrazyTrumpeter05 »

Hey guys, so I've had a strange display quirk after using b90 on Java 7 build 51. It's a bit hard to describe, so here's a video to just show you:
http://www.twitch.tv/krazy/b/506563943

I can't quite figure out what triggers it. My GM is on the exact same build of Java and MapTools (downloaded from the exact same link) and doesn't experience the same issue so I'm hoping it's just a configuration problem.

Anyway, I would appreciate any insight, thanks!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Strange display issue with mouseover

Post by JamzTheMan »

That is strange. If you had another Java app that used Swing, I'd say try that first, but can't think of one off the top of my head.

It looks more system related, did you try to update your video drivers?
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

JamzTheMan wrote:That is strange. If you had another Java app that used Swing, I'd say try that first, but can't think of one off the top of my head.

It looks more system related, did you try to update your video drivers?
+1

I would say it's almost definitely a video driver issue. What is your screen resolution?

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

I had a similar problem a long time ago, it was from using a very outdated version of java.

KrazyTrumpeter05
Kobold

I'm on Java 7, build 51. Very latest WHQL drivers for my GTX 670.

Funnily enough, I did some even more thorough digging through the forums and stumbled across some posts related to disabling directdraw. Had to dig around a bit to figure out how to do it with b90 (reference: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/we ... html#gcgsz) by putting -Dsun.java2d.ddblit=false into the launcher's "Advanced" tab.

After about half an hour of trying to recreate the issue after adding that parameter, I was unable to get it to bug out.

Unfortunately, I still don't know what the cause might be. I had my GM also upgrade to the very latest NVIDIA drivers, and he still couldn't produce the same issue I had. He's on a 470 I believe, so it's not the exact same GPU, but the DirectDraw capabilities should be identical between the two cards I would think.

Anyway, thank you for the fast responses, and hopefully this thread can help others in the future.

P.S.: What exactly am I losing out on by disabling DirectDraw? Some hardware acceleration?

KrazyTrumpeter05
Kobold

Unfortunately, this issue is not resolved and keeps occurring. I'm out of ideas at this point, anyone have any other suggestions?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

KrazyTrumpeter05 wrote:Unfortunately, this issue is not resolved and keeps occurring. I'm out of ideas at this point, anyone have any other suggestions?
Can't see the video... your link errors out... so I don't know what you are looking at.

But you can try using an older video driver or a beta of a newer one.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

KrazyTrumpeter05
Kobold

Ah, I probably didn't tell it to save forever. I'll try to make a new one today and save it.

Return to “MapTool”