Vague issue with b90 causing semi-frequent MapTool crashing

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tyshalle
Giant

Vague issue with b90 causing semi-frequent MapTool crashing

Post by Tyshalle »

I use a custom framework designed by AliasMask that he designed for b84 with Java 6, and I used it for about 3 years in b86. I recently updated to the b90-beta, and while it pretty much works perfectly, I have been noticing that I crash a lot more. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the Framework, either. About 50% of the time it crashes, I have just attempted to use a macro, which opens up a pop-up window. But the other 50% of the time, it'll crash if say, I attempt to move a token, or an object or open up the properties of a token/object. Back with b86, crashes would occur, but they'd occur maybe once every 3-5 sessions. Now I'm getting them 1-3 times every session.

My MapTool settings were 1024, 64, 2, but I bumped the stack size up to 3 when one of my players was having some kind of difficulty, which may or may not have fixed the problem (I forget), but we stuck to a stack size of 3. This, as far as I can tell, has had no bearing on the frequency of my crashes.

Some other information: I don't think I've ever crashed when off-line. I'm pretty sure I'm only crashing when I'm hosting a server with other players. Also, I suppose crashing probably isn't the right word. It's more like the screen completely freezes, and I cannot use the map or the chat room. That said, I do run a multiple-monitor setup, with the main maptool window on one monitor, and then a second window that has the Map Explorer, Initiative, Campaign and Resource library all together. A lot of the times I *CAN* still push the macro buttons on the campaign window, and when I do so, a lot of the time I'll get the macro popup window to, uh, pop up. Also, if I hit the X at the top of the screen on the main mapTool window, it'll ask me if I want to shut down maptool/disconnect the server/save before I quit. I'm not sure if it ever saves when I tell it to save under these circumstances, however. I'm also able to minimize the window, but when I maximize it again the main map will be pure black. So it's not a total freeze, but for all intended purposes it's frozen.

It seems like there's a lot of possible things it could be, but I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any thoughts? Is anyone else having random crashes with b90?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Vague issue with b90 causing semi-frequent MapTool crash

Post by wolph42 »

can't say that I do. I did however (way back) have 'random' freezes which varied from a few seconds to minutes until I figured out that it was the auto-save... but what you've got sounds like a permanent freeze.
I can only suggest to check the log and if anything funky shows up in there, then pls post it.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I can't say for sure what the problem is but b90's one serious bug is with json.sort and I know I use that in that framework.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

aliasmask wrote:I can't say for sure what the problem is but b90's one serious bug is with json.sort and I know I use that in that framework.
Didn't Wolph create a workaround for this in it's bag of tricks?

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

Try running with everything on the same monitor for a while and see if that makes a difference.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

Checking the log (I've never checked the log, but I assume it's the one located in /Users/UserName/.maptool, called log.txt just hanging out by itself with a bunch of folders?), I'm not actually seeing anything at all from the last day it crashed. There are a few things in there from two days before that, but I don't remember if it crashed then. It certainly may have, but I don't know.

If there's nothing in the log from the day it last crashed, does that mean it might be freezing in the way wolph said he experienced, and not actually crashing?

Here's what it says from two days prior to the last day I remember it crashing:

2014-03-14 01:53:07,080 [client.MapTool:298] ERROR - PersistenceUtil.error.campaignRead
java.lang.ClassCastException: net.rptools.maptool.util.PersistenceUtil$PersistedMap cannot be cast to net.rptools.maptool.util.PersistenceUtil$PersistedCampaign
at net.rptools.maptool.util.PersistenceUtil.loadCampaign(PersistenceUtil.java:420)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$68.run(AppActions.java:2094)
2014-03-14 01:53:09,435 [util.PersistenceUtil:448] WARN - Could not load campaign in the current format... trying the legacy format.
2014-03-14 01:53:09,436 [client.MapTool:330] WARN - PersistenceUtil.warn.campaignNotLoaded

Not really sure what any of that means.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

In order to get good debug info, you need to change the logging file. The root of maptool download has the details in one of the files. It's in the misc folder.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JML wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I can't say for sure what the problem is but b90's one serious bug is with json.sort and I know I use that in that framework.
Didn't Wolph create a workaround for this in it's bag of tricks?
I did that together with am and no it's not part of the bot. It's a seperate drop in.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Are you using the patch Lee created? Someone needs to compile and share it. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean)

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

aliasmask wrote:Are you using the patch Lee created? Someone needs to compile and share it. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean)
:lol:

@Tyshalle: I came across this before. It's a good thing you reported this as I completely forgot about it. Somehow, (some, if not all of) your campaign file's contents have been saved in .rpmap (is that the right extension?) format. I've written a fix for it, but I do not have anything to test it with. If you could share the problem file, I'll submit a patch, and make sure it's in Mote as well.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:Are you using the patch Lee created? Someone needs to compile and share it. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean)
http://youtu.be/ona-RhLfRfc

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

I sent my campaign file to Lee. Hopefully I did it right. As far as patches, no, I downloaded b90 directly from Wolph's signature link, and haven't used any patches, drop-ins, bag of tricks, or anything else. All I use is the Framework AliasMask made for me, which I have modified a little over the years, but not in any significant way.

As far as changing the logging file, I don't know what you mean. I see no misc folder, and I'm not sure what you mean by "the root of maptool download has details in one of the files".

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Ah, they renamed the folder for b90-beta to logging. You want to put this in the logging.xml file (or create it) in the .maptool folder of your user account it will change what gets put in the log.txt file (same directory). I usually just delete the log.txt file when not running MapTool because it gets big fast. Also once you're done debugging it's best to rename the logging.xml to something else to turn off macro debugging.

Code: Select all

<!-- DESC: Macro handling -->
<!-- TTIP: Includes parser, macro manager, and button properties. -->
<logger name="net.rptools.maptool.client.MapToolLineParser">
    <level value="DEBUG" />
    <appender-ref ref="console"/>
</logger>
<logger name="net.rptools.maptool.client.macro.MacroManager">
    <level value="DEBUG" />
    <appender-ref ref="console"/>
</logger>
<logger name="net.rptools.maptool.model.MacroButtonProperties">