Target Indicator

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Keneth
Kobold

Target Indicator

Post by Keneth »

Is there a way to indicate targets in MapTool? I'm not really sure how to handle targeting for ranged attacks that target ground instead of specific objects/creatures (like spells).

I suppose a crude way would be to make tokens for different areas to act as indicators and let players move them around. Do you guys use any better methods?

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Re: Target Indicator

Post by Darcphaze »

Surprisingly enough, Windows has an indicator built right in your Mouse Properties, under Pointer Options is one called Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key.

It doesn't get in my way when I'm running, yet it shows them exactly what I need them to see. I tend to hit the CTRL key 3 or 4 times so it blinks in case they aren't seeing where something is. It is a tad large for crowded places? but so far so good.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

Keneth
Kobold

Post by Keneth »

I imagine that only works if you're all looking at the same screen, not in a network game...

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

I use the two monitor set up with a GM (mine) and a Player (on TV). It shows up on the TV. I thought it would show on the networking.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

For 3.5 D&D I have a set of auras for most of the target templates. 10ft radius, 20ft radius, 60ft cone, 120ft line (cone with a half degree arc), etc. Then I either put a token on and select the appropriate aura or the caster selects an aura if the origin is the caster. For walls I use an appropriate token and stretch it on the background layer.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Darcphaze wrote: I thought it would show on the networking.
It does ... if you use the MapTool pointer ... IIRC you have to press SPACE with the mouse pointe over the map (and focus on the map, not the chat window).

Other than that ... a lot of frameworks mark a selected target using a token-state.

Keneth
Kobold

Post by Keneth »

metatheurgist wrote:For 3.5 D&D I have a set of auras for most of the target templates. [...]
That's actually quite brilliant. I completely forgot about auras. I'll give it a try.

Keneth
Kobold

Post by Keneth »

Spacebar seems fine for quick targeting, yes. I imagine we'll be using it quite a lot.

Return to “MapTool”