Brainstorm input request: mapping coordinates

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wolph42
Winter Wolph

Brainstorm input request: mapping coordinates

Post by wolph42 »

This is a general request to anyone willing to pitch in.

I'm currently working on the roborally boardgame. In short it boils down to small robots that are programmed by the player (e.g. 2 forward, turn left, 1 backward, turn right, 1 forward). The robot is on a grid map. Let me add an
example
Picasso.jeff.jpg
Picasso.jeff.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
. The point is to travel to waypoints on the board. In the example you see 6 robots on the left and their job e.g. is to travel to the right edge back to their starting point.

As you may have gathered, I'd like to create this in maptool.

The challenge I lay before thee (and myself) is: how do I store the mapping of the board?

Note that there are different types of 'coordinates' that are of importance:
1. CELL coordinate e.g. one of the
pits
Pit.jpg
Pit.jpg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
. If a robot drives onto or over it, it is gone and a backup is placed on the last reference point.
2. GRID-LINE coordinate e.g. one of the
walls
Wall.jpg
Wall.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
. If a robot drives 'through' a wall its is stopped at the wall. (I could of course still treat this as a cell coord with a wall in one or more directions.)
3. COMBINATION coordinate e.g. an
converging express band
Converyer Straight-Turn Right.jpg
Converyer Straight-Turn Right.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
. If a robot moves onto this express band from the top,left or right it is moved one square to the right. If however it moves onto this band from the south, the robot turns 90 degrees right AND moves one to the right.
4. DEPENDENT coordinate e.g. a
laser
Laser 1.jpg
Laser 1.jpg (23.12 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
. Basically when a robot ends his move in a laser beam it gets damage (per beam). HOWEVER a laser beam is 'stopped' by either a wall or another robot. Hence if another robot happens to be on the left and also in the beam, the beam would stop there and not hit the current robot.

obviously everything needs to be fast enough to keep it going.

What I'm looking for is: what method can I best use to 'store' this information and 'retrieve' it when the robots starts moving.

Additional info:
- There are 100'sof boards. What I want to do is 'prep' a few of them (and create the tools for user to prep others) using some editor. These boards should contain the relevant information (although the info could also be on a lib stored with the name of the map). Point is: these boards can be ROTATED and CONNECTED. So you can create a map of multiple (rotated) boards. Something to take into consideration.
- If you follow the above link you will see that there are many many many different types of board tiles (beside the wall, pit, laser, express band), but they all fit into one of the 4 categories.
What I have initially in mind, but pls shoot if you have a better idea. Feel free to discard this as TLDNR and just blurt your opinion/advi…
To construct a board I have individual tiles which can be placed and rotated on the boardimage (or from scratch) to match the board. Each of these individual tiles have properties from which their function can be deduced. Basically two:
- type: pit, laser, express band, gear left, gear rigth, etc.
- direction: 0,1,2,3,4 OR 0,E,N,W,S OR 0, TOP, LEFT, BOTTOM, RIGHT. Where '0' means none (e.g. with a pit it is of no importance).
Im inclined to use the numerical reprisentation due to its potential cyclic nature (with the use of a mod) so multiple rotations can be added.
note: with the combined expressband this could be tricky as you have three types:
- turn in from left side
- turn in from right side
- turn in from both sides!
--> im inclined to use the direction of the expressband as the direction of the tile and make them 3 different types.

What is tricky in this is that there are 4 rotation factors:
1. the orientation of the 'feature' on the tile (e.g. wall facing west)
2. the orientation of the tile on the board e.g. 90 degrees
3. the orientation of the board on the map! e.g. 180 degrees
4. the orientation of the robot riding over the board and over the tile
this makes it a bit tricky to keep track of the lot.

When the tiles have been placed:
- I use some parser to store each tile and its position and rotation in e.g. a strprop. (Structure ???)
- then store that strprop either in a lib:token with the board name, including the board orientation (although maybe it should be unrotated to begin with. check this!) or store it directly on the board.
--> what would the structure look like...?: lets give this also a stab.

ASSUMPTIONS (which can be checked):
- board tile is UNROTATED
- board tile UPPER LEFT is 0,0
- board tile is UNFLIPPED (IRC cannot be checked).
- board is 10x10 (as an example)

STORAGE:
- strprops are key value pairs so xCoord_yCoord=type_rotation e.g. "5_3=pit_0 ; 0_0=floor_0 ; 10_10=wall_3"
- The exception (and real pain the donkey) here are the lasers, I guess the 'origin' can be the same where type is 'laser1' or 'laser2', etc. and the direction is where the laser points to (so exits the tile). The pain is however keeping track of it afterwards....

RETRIEVAL:
- when using numerical representation of the rotation for the tiles I *think* you can simply add them (mod4) to see the current actual position. And deducting the entrance point of the robot from this number should result in 0 to have a trigger... need to check. (correct!!)
example: E=0 dg=0, N=90 dg=1, W=180=2, S=3. A tile facing south (hence rotated 270 dg) has rotation=3, on a board rotate 180 dg (so rotation 2) results in 5 mod 4 = 1 or 90 dg or north. This is correct.
Note: bot_getTokenFacing() results in the above dg (e.g. N==90)
Next the entry of the robot should be determined on FROM WHERE it enters the tile, if this is also 1 or 90 or NORTH then the tile property is activated.
Thus:
IF ((TR+BR) mod 4) - RE == 0 THEN tile is 'active' on robot. In case of e.g. wall, this would result in the token not moving. In case of express band... this would require additional investigation as the 'rotation activation' are 90dg off of the tile rotation.

direction of the robot can simply be deduced from its movement (if any). Movement is ALWAYS forward or backward hence the direction of movement is the direction its facing and if moving backwards, just add 2 (mod 4) to that directionnumber.
Note that there do exist 'move sideways' cards, but they are not CORE, so ignore for now.
Note that with walls you also need to check the current tile the robot is on.
Note when moving OVER tiles (e.g. when moving 3 squares at once), some tiles are active when moved over (like walls and pits) while some tiles are NOT active when moving over (like lasers and express bands).

The info of the tiles themselves
- varsfromstrprop on the big board variable.
- This creates variables like: '2_3' (= x_y)
- with those defined you can use [eval(getTokenX(0, robot)+"_"+getTokenY(0, robot))] which returns the cell type and orientation of the CURRENT tile
- then there are 4 movementtypes: -1, 0,1,2 and 3 (these are NOT directions but #cells). Direction only needs to be determined ONCE after that check all the cell BEFORE moving the robot.
could use a count(moveCount) option and simply retrieve all info from all tiles. While loop is better as it can be exited earlier (in case of e.g. pit and wall).
--> checkRobotFloorInteraction(robot, direction, currentTile, nextTile) returns true false. True means that robot moves, False means the robot cannot move.
or something like that.

TO BE CONTINUED
Board Rotation effect on tile position
Xb = the width of the UNROTATED board (x direction) - 1
Yb = the length of the UNROTATED board (y direction) - 1
Xt = the x position of the robot on the board, or the tile coord. You wish to check
Yt = the y position of the robot on the board, or the tile coord. You wish to check

Code: Select all

rotation	Xtn	Ytn
0			Xt		Yt
1			Yt		Xb-Xt
2			Xb-Xt	Yb-Yt
3			Yb-Yb	Xt
So when a board is rotated e.g. 90 CCW (== 1) then the robot coords Xt/Yt need to be translated to: Xtn = Yt and Ytn = Xb - Xt
This also helps with future offsets when more boards are used.

IDENTIFIED ISSUE: when using multiple boards e.g. 4 then when executing the strprop you will overwrite the results of the former board e.g. all boards have keys 0_0, 0_1, 0_2 etc. so maybe add unique identifier like name.
Possible other solution: store x/y board coordinates not as 3_4 but as 3+Xo_4+Yo and use replace()...need to check.
BATs and MATs
You can group board tiles into two sections:
- 'move activated tiles' (pit, wall, etc.): you only need to check these tiles when the robot moves. These tiles are 'location' activated (that means that you check the current location of the robot and its next and reference a 'table' to see of there are 'move activated tiles'. Lets call these MATs
- 'board activated tiles' (laser, express band, etc.): you need to check these tiles during the board fase and in this case you cycle through those tiles and check if a robot is standing on them (laser is here an annoying exception). Lets call these BATs
Hence per board you need to store two things: a (translatable) coordinate map with all the floortiles and MATs and a list of all the BATs with there (translatable) coordinates.
Thus a laser (which is always combined with a wall) is both a MAT (wall) and a BAT (laser).

Looking from that perspective its probly easier to do lasers anyway. As during the board fase you cycle through all BATs and when you encounter a laser you can use the canMoveCheck() macro (either recursively or while ?) in the direction of the laser to work through all the tiles until you reach either a wall, the edge or a robot.

Core ruleset:
BATs: Checkpoint & Repair Site, (express) conveyor belt, Pusher, Gears, Crusher
MATs: Wall, Pit
I guess I will split up the laser into the laser and wall part. Ive seen more element overlapping on some boards so thats not so uncommon.
Same thing thus for the pusher!! (which also has a wall)

Checking for for BATs I could create a json object of the current coordinates where they are and use a json.get(batList, locationRobot) to see if anything comes up.... which won't work as you need to do them in order. So potentially one json object per tile_type (probly less as you can group certain types in a smart way). I see potential issue with two robots on e.g. express band right behind eachother...
rules of order
Move each Robot as its Program card indicates in order of priority (highest first). If Robots Collide, the moving Robot pushes the other Robot 1 space (this can be off the board or in a pit).
Board Elements Move
1. Express conveyor belts move 1 space in the direction of the arrows.
2. Express conveyor belts and normal conveyor belts move 1 space in the direction of the arrows.
3. Pushers push if active.
4. Gears rotate 90° in the direction of the arrows.
5. Crushers destroy robot
6. lasers inflict one damage per beam.
7. Robots touch Flags and place Archive Markers. Note that 'safety copy' is placed when robot moves OVER (or onto) the checkpoint. Repairs ONLY take place when the robot moves ONTO the repairs site or check site (1 point for a wrench and 1 additional for the hammer. Checkpoints only 1).
End of Turn: Robots on wrench spaces discard 1 Damage Token. Robots on wrench/Hammer spaces also draw 1 Option card (new rules: additional repair).

this means that to use the json.get() trick you will need
1. json object with all express belts
2. json object with ALL belts
3. json object with pushers
4. json object with the rest
and check these in that order. Seperate macro check is required when two robots 'meet' while on an a belt. E.g. opposite direction push == standoff, same direction push == both move ONE space
collision check by jagged

Code: Select all

[h:bot1=arg(0)]
[h:bot2=arg(1)]
[h:c1=getTokenX(0,bot1)+":"+getTokenY(0,bot1)]
[h:n1=getProperty("nextX",bot1)+":"+getProperty("nextY",bot1)]
[h:c2=getTokenX(0,bot2)+":"+getTokenY(0,bot2)]
[h:n2=getProperty("nextX",bot2)+":"+getProperty("nextY",bot2)]
[h:result=0]
[h,if(n1==n2):result=1]
[h,if(c1==n2 && c2==n1):result=1]
[h:macro.return=result] 

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Brainstorm input request: mapping coordinates

Post by Jagged »

I love Robo Rally. The thing that put me off attempting this in Map Tool was the availability of an online version of the game. Still, I would love to see it and would definitely use it.

Are you going to have single and double speed conveyors?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote:The challenge I lay before thee (and myself) is: how do I store the mapping of the board?
I was going to take a different approach to you, and go from the board data to the map. By which I mean, I was planning on having tables of data containing the locations of all the various board elements. This would be the "Master Data" rather than the tiles on the board.

I was planning on having a separate table for each element type. The cell data for each table then needs only contain zero (for empty) or a direction value.

My reasoning behind this was that Robo Rally has a hierarchy of board elements i.e. conveyors convey, rotators rotate, pushers push, then stampers stamp. So if I had each element in different tables, I could progress through them in order. I hadn't quite worked out how to handle conveyor belt loops.

The downside of this kind of approach, is that you need to build the map in data form first, and them build the map from the data. Now if only we had people who could build maps in Maptool from tables of data? ;)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:
wolph42 wrote:The challenge I lay before thee (and myself) is: how do I store the mapping of the board?
I was going to take a different approach to you, and go from the board data to the map. By which I mean, I was planning on having tables of data containing the locations of all the various board elements. This would be the "Master Data" rather than the tiles on the board.

I was planning on having a separate table for each element type. The cell data for each table then needs only contain zero (for empty) or a direction value.

My reasoning behind this was that Robo Rally has a hierarchy of board elements i.e. conveyors convey, rotators rotate, pushers push, then stampers stamp. So if I had each element in different tables, I could progress through them in order. I hadn't quite worked out how to handle conveyor belt loops.

The downside of this kind of approach, is that you need to build the map in data form first, and them build the map from the data. Now if only we had people who could build maps in Maptool from tables of data? ;)
and how would you deal with rotated boards? And what do you mean with 'table' ? json, strprop, mttAble...?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote:and how would you deal with rotated boards?
Honestly? That wasn't a function I was particularly concerned about. I was only going to build a few complete maps. However you could perform translations on the tables as a whole (my son's doing that in his GCSE lessons at the moment ;) )
wolph42 wrote:And what do you mean with 'table' ? json, strprop, mttAble...?
I hadn't got that far, but they would need to be two dimensional, which mostly rules out Maptool's own tables.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

PS: Where you intending on using holograms? They are used in the original rules, but not in the latest (I think).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:PS: Where you intending on using holograms? They are used in the original rules, but not in the latest (I think).
You mean no interaction between the bots? Probly optional rule for the first n rounds.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Walking home from work I remembered another reason why I thought using a table/matrix to store board elements would be better than using tiles on the map.

When it comes to conveyors, how the conveyor behaves is largely dependant in the next conveyor in sequence.

In the above picture the top left and bottom right square are both "Move forward" tiles but the top left is actually "Move forward, turn left". While the other is just "Move forward". Even though they are moving into the same square. So you if you were modelling the four squares in a data matrix, the top left and bottom right squares would hold very different values, although the graphic would be essentially the same.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

yes ive already covered that. Read the OP bottom spoiler. Activation of a tile is dependent on the point of entry.
although now that i think of it the 'turn' is it only made when the conveyor is active? or does it also work when a robot moves onto it (through its program). Due to the nature of the rules im inclined to say that the conveyer turn (left of right) only take place when the conveyor is active. Correct?

That would make things a bit simpler.

The other thing: you keep talking about 'table' or 'matrix' but what would the actual datastructure be? The maptool tables are not equiped so its strprop, json, list or whatever concoction you can fantasize. What would be your poison?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote:yes ive already covered that. Read the OP bottom spoiler. Activation of a tile is dependent on the point of entry.
Guess I missed that on my read through :)
wolph42 wrote: although now that i think of it the 'turn' is it only made when the conveyor is active? or does it also work when a robot moves onto it (through its program). Due to the nature of the rules im inclined to say that the conveyer turn (left of right) only take place when the conveyor is active. Correct?
If I understand what you are saying, yes that agrees with my interpretation of the rules.

So for example in the four squares above, if a robot was in the first square and allowed the conveyor to move them, they would move one square and turn. But if they were in the first square and moved forward one square, they would not be turned when the conveyor activated.
wolph42 wrote: The other thing: you keep talking about 'table' or 'matrix' but what would the actual datastructure be? The maptool tables are not equiped so its strprop, json, list or whatever concoction you can fantasize. What would be your poison?
Well, lets be honest, I never got that far ;) But I thought json would be too slow, so I was thinking about encoding each table in to a simple string, because if you were having multiple tables for each element, then each square could be represented by a single character. Ugly, but hopefully quick.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:Well, lets be honest, I never got that far ;) But I thought json would be too slow, so I was thinking about encoding each table in to a simple string, because if you were having multiple tables for each element, then each square could be represented by a single character. Ugly, but hopefully quick.
well... as I also want the boards to be able to rotate AND have an offset (so you can have multiple boards connected) it will take a bit of thinking of how to handle that.

But as this brainstorm progresses I begin to see 'tendencies'. For one:
a. there are tiles that are 'active' during the program movement of the robot: e.g. wall, pit, but not e.g. laser, express band
b. there are tiles that are 'active' during the 'board fase' (for lack of a better word): e.g. express band and laser.
...I was inclined to say that the former were not active during the latter, but I realise that an express band *can* steer you towards a pit or wall, so they *are*.
However !
a.-tiles are not 'active', b.-tiles are !! You are right that you need to cycle through b-tiles and check whether there's a robot standing on top of them.

So you can group them into two sections:
- 'move activated tiles' (pit, wall, etc.): you only need to check these tiles when the robot moves. These tiles are 'location' activated (that means that you check the current location of the robot and its next and reference a 'table' to see of there are 'move activated tiles'. Lets call these MATs
- 'board activated tiles' (laser, express band, etc.): you need to check these tiles during the board fase and in this case you cycle through those tiles and check if a robot is standing on them (laser is here an annoying exception). Lets call these BATs
Hence per board you need to store two things: a (translatable) coordinate map with all the floortiles and MATs and a list of all the BATs with there (translatable) coordinates.
Hence a laser (which is always combined with a wall) is both a MAT (wall) and a BAT (laser).

Looking from that perspective its probly easier to do lasers anyway. As during the board fase you cycle through all BATs and when you encounter a laser you can use the canMoveCheck() macro (either recursively or while ?) in the direction of the laser to work through all the tiles until you reach either a wall, the edge or a robot.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote: You are right that you need to cycle through b-tiles and check whether there's a robot standing on top of them.
Remember that as well as cycling through all the b-tiles you need to cycle through them in type order.

I will check my rules tonight and compare them to the ones on-line (I have the older sets) and see if there are any differences.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:
wolph42 wrote: You are right that you need to cycle through b-tiles and check whether there's a robot standing on top of them.
Remember that as well as cycling through all the b-tiles you need to cycle through them in type order.
obviously
(check rules of order in the OP)
I will check my rules tonight and compare them to the ones on-line (I have the older sets) and see if there are any differences.
thanks.

note that I keep updating the OP (mainly at the bottom, adding things) as this discussion and my ideas progress.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Had a quick play tonight and have attached my first attempt. Its just single conveyors and gears and no attempt at collision detection. To work the board elements select the Lib Token and press buttons "1. Conveyors Convey" and "2. Gears Gear".
test1.cmpgn
First Play
(128.38 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

ah. I just finished both 'board creation' macro and 'board initialization' macro. the latter is not entirely finished, but it follows the method described in the OP.

Currently you can create a board (that is identify its tiles) then store that information on that board. Rinse and repeat for other boards.
Next you can get those boards and rotate them and place multiple next to eachother. The 'initialization' macro then calculates the new coordinates and orientation of the tiles on the table.

still a bit to do, but at least I got the translation macro correct.

its late now, ill probly have a look at your campaign tomorrow.

btw. if you like me to invite you to my dropbox project folder: send me a pm with your dropbox email address.

Return to “MapTool”