Map tool. NEED Major HELP

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Jimb011
Kobold

Map tool. NEED Major HELP

Post by Jimb011 »

Ok here is the situation. I get it that you can download this program and I have. I get that you can design your own tokens with the Token maker. I'm in the midst of creating a campaign for D&D 3.5 and I need a online map. but that's besides the point.

What I don't get is this:

Where does one get the graphics to use in the Map Tool? I mean there is some sample stuff already built in but i'm looking for stuff like trees? doors? buildings? Spiked pits? traps Object Tokens (not character tokens), etc. I want to design my own map with said objects and I have scoured the internet for said stuff and have come up empty. Am I the only one with this problem? Am I just not seeing the one little thing that will make things easier?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Map tool. NEED Major HELP

Post by Jagged »

Honestly, I just type what I want into Google and that's usually enough. The beauty of D&D is that there is tons of stuff out there, so you rarely need to create your own.

If there is something in particular you want, ask and people will point you in the right direction.

You want trees?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Jimb011
Kobold

Post by Jimb011 »

aliasmask wrote:Check the bottom of this page: http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=community
The link for the gallery is broken for me

Jimb011
Kobold

Post by Jimb011 »

Thanks for the help. What kind of files am I specifically looking for? and which tutorial would be the best one to help me load said torrents or such into the Map tool program?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Jimb011 wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Check the bottom of this page: http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=community
The link for the gallery is broken for me
Links at bottom of page, like rpmapshare or dundjinni which is where I got most of my stuff.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Torrent sites are download sites. That's outside the scope of maptool, but it is a way to get resources. To get resources IN maptool, you can link entire directories in your lib through the file menu or simply drag and drop from windows into maptool.

I certainly would suggest that you follow the big link in my sig. It's spefifically created for you :wink:

Jimb011
Kobold

Post by Jimb011 »

Ok so I found there is more then meets the eye to MapTool. The tool itself includes a bunch of useful resources that you can load into the Maker. So I'm pretty much set in that respect. That being said what I would like to do is to Export individual tiles/Background pieces/Tokens as Jpeg or PNG files. Is it possible to do that? For example: In a perfect world I would like to convert them to this: http://www.thetangledweb.net/images/fum ... player.php

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The built in downloadable load on to your hard drive under \users\[your name]\.maptool\resources. You can change them there. I usually move them to another folder in which I have all my images and have a resource library pointing to it (File | Add Resource Library).

Jimb011
Kobold

Post by Jimb011 »

aliasmask wrote:The built in downloadable load on to your hard drive under \users\[your name]\.maptool\resources. You can change them there. I usually move them to another folder in which I have all my images and have a resource library pointing to it (File | Add Resource Library).
Thankyou this solves all my problems

MagisterD
Kobold

Post by MagisterD »

To anyone that can help?????

My son and I are getting this message when we try to run MapTool????

Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar

What are we doing wrong? And, is there a fix for this? Please help....

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

MagisterD wrote: What are we doing wrong? And, is there a fix for this? Please help....
Read this topic:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24850

And yell if you still need help.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

metatheurgist wrote:
MagisterD wrote: What are we doing wrong? And, is there a fix for this? Please help....
Read this topic:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24850

And yell if you still need help.
...you could also just have had a look at the top post on the forum where you posted this...

Return to “MapTool”