Connection issues

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
DannerAZ
Kobold

Connection issues

Post by DannerAZ »

I have read the PDF that is out there and do not see the case that I am having. First I am running 1.3 b84, Java 6 and Windows 7 Professional. I have 3 PC's on a local LAN. PC1 is running 1.3 b84, Java 6 and Windows 7 Professional. PC2 is running 1.3 b84, Java 6 and windows 7. PC3 is running 1.3 b84, Java 7 and Windows 7. PC1 starts the server. PC2 and PC3 can see the server listed in the LAN tab. When PC2 or PC3 tries to connect to PC1 the maptool background goes black and says connecting but eventually times out. In the chat window of PC1, you see the other PC's connect and about 30 seconds later they say disconnect. So we tried to have PC2 host to see if we have communication issues. When either PC2 or PC3 hosts, PC1 can connect. I have also tested PC1 hosting and opening another session on PC1 and it connects just fine.

I have turned off firewalls on PC1 and that did not help. I have used the telnet tool from PC1 and PC2 to see if the port is open and it makes the connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Connection issues

Post by Full Bleed »

DannerAZ wrote:I have read the PDF that is out there and do not see the case that I am having. First I am running 1.3 b84, Java 6 and Windows 7 Professional. I have 3 PC's on a local LAN. PC1 is running 1.3 b84, Java 6 and Windows 7 Professional. PC2 is running 1.3 b84, Java 6 and windows 7. PC3 is running 1.3 b84, Java 7 and Windows 7. PC1 starts the server. PC2 and PC3 can see the server listed in the LAN tab. When PC2 or PC3 tries to connect to PC1 the maptool background goes black and says connecting but eventually times out. In the chat window of PC1, you see the other PC's connect and about 30 seconds later they say disconnect. So we tried to have PC2 host to see if we have communication issues. When either PC2 or PC3 hosts, PC1 can connect. I have also tested PC1 hosting and opening another session on PC1 and it connects just fine.

I have turned off firewalls on PC1 and that did not help. I have used the telnet tool from PC1 and PC2 to see if the port is open and it makes the connection.

Any help would be appreciated.
What network card/chipset is on PC1?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Peregrine
Kobold

Re: Connection issues

Post by Peregrine »

You said one PC is running Java 7? Aren't there a bunch of issues with older MapTool running in Java 7 besides the launcher issues? I recall getting a lot of errors from the VBL using b87 in Java 7. While it may not solve your problem, if it's possible, upgrading MapTool to b90 or 91 might be something to do.

Return to “MapTool”