HELP: Players can see "GM Name" of Tokens :-S :(

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Teferi
Kobold

HELP: Players can see "GM Name" of Tokens :-S :(

Post by Teferi »

Hi!

As I could not find a smiliar thread, and no helpful entry in the Wiki, I come here with a question - and you are my last hope! :D

So, each Token has 3 different Names - the "Name", "GM Name" and "Label".

If I enter a "GM Name" for a token, my players CANNOT see this Name, when hovering the mouse over the specific token. So far so good.

However, once they double-click on the Token, the little Window pops up, and here they CAN see the "GM Name" without any problems.

Trying to replicate the surprising behaviour with the "GM Notes" further down in the same rider in said box, was not possible. Here I can enter stuffs, and my players will not see it when double-clicking the Token.

What am I doing wrong, wich setting do I need to change, in order to make the "GM Name" insivible to Players, both when hovering over the Token with their Mouse AND when opening the token menu (for example for taking notes)?

Best regards,
many kisses in advance for any services and help rendered,
I also apologize for any issues in comprehending my writing, English is not my mouthers Tongue :)

LG

Teferi

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: HELP: Players can see "GM Name" of Tokens :-S :(

Post by wolph42 »

its all about ownership. If the players *own* the token they can FULLY edit it, including the gm name. IF however they do NOT own it they cannot edit it and they cannot see the gm name (and any property in the stat sheet that is gm only).

Teferi
Kobold

Post by Teferi »

Hi!

The Players are NOT owners of the tokens, they can however still edit them - and see the "GM Name", however CANNOT see the "GM Notes" :)

To further elaborate: I do NOT have "strict token ownership" enabled, because: The campaign is very much crammed full of MANY npc's, so it is in mine and the players interest, that they can edit the tokens insofar, as they can add to the "Notes" section.

If there is no solution to the problem of the players being able to view the "GM Name", I will be saddened, but move on - then the "GM Notes" section will be crammed even tighter with info :D

LG!

Akodo Makama
Giant

Post by Akodo Makama »

Teferi wrote:Hi!

The Players are NOT owners of the tokens, they can however still edit them - and see the "GM Name", however CANNOT see the "GM Notes" :)

To further elaborate: I do NOT have "strict token ownership" enabled, because: The campaign is very much crammed full of MANY npc's, so it is in mine and the players interest, that they can edit the tokens insofar, as they can add to the "Notes" section.

If there is no solution to the problem of the players being able to view the "GM Name", I will be saddened, but move on - then the "GM Notes" section will be crammed even tighter with info :D

LG!
Without strict ownership, all players 'own' every token. If you want info hidden from the players on a token, you'll have to use strict ownership. To still allow the players to add notes, you can use a campaign macro to fetch and set the notes, like

Code: Select all

[currentToken = getSelected()]
[assert(listCount(currentToken) == 1, "Only One Token please")]
[localNotes = getProperty("PlayerNotes", currentToken)]
[abort(input("newNotes|"+localNotes+"|Notes|TEXT|"))]
[setProperty("PlayerNotes", newNotes,currentToken)] 

Return to “MapTool”