[b91] Unable to find UPnP services

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: [b91] Unable to find UPnP services

Post by Azhrei »

Looking at the source code and your log, you'll notice that the first DEBUG message has a timestamp on it that is 5 seconds before the message, "No IGDs found". That's the normal timeout value.

The second DEBUG message (another 20-30 lines down in the log) has a timestamp only 1 second before the response from the router.

It looks like the router is taking its sweet time about responding, sometimes doing so and sometimes not. :( I don't know any generic way for the code to handle this that wouldn't degrade gracefully for everyone else. For example, I could lengthen the timeout, but clearly 1 second is often enough time. And lengthening it beyond 5 seconds just means everyone else might need to wait longer for a negative response and probably wouldn't magically fix your issue either.

I will look at the older code for b89 and see if the timeout length changed. When I get back to the house this evening, I'll also take a look to see how to turn on the complete XML dump of the router specs. That might help, or at least point to where to go next.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Should I change my Time to Live 4 hops and Advertising Period 1 minute. "Enable Zero Config" is off by default.
TIP: UPnP enabled Gateway discovers all UPnP enabled client devices.
UPnP enabled Gateway discovers all UPnP enabled client devices like UPnP enabled printer, laptops in the gateway's network. Using UPnP the ports are opened automatically for the appropriate services/applications. The UPnP devices will be autoconfigured in the network.
The Advertisement Period is how often the gateway will advertise (broadcast) its UPnP information.
The time to live for the advertisement is measured in hops (steps) for each UPnP packet sent. A hop is the number of steps allowed to propagate for each UPnP advertisement before it disappears.
Zeroconfig: Similar to UPnP, this discovery protocol locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the service.
edit:
I turned on Enable Zero Config and it seems to connect more often now (50% at best). But I still get the closePort line 202 error each time when disconnecting without fail.

When I go back to port forwarding it connects immediately, so yeah, discovery takes way too long. When using UPnP with B89 it too connects right away.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Az, why not put some config vars in the launcher? Allow users to set timeout and anything else that may help debug upnp? Seems to be a nagging issue dealing with all these touchy routers.
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Try this attachment to see more debugging data.

Put it in the launcher's logging/ directory and you'l get a new option in the launcher to enable this debugging.
Attachments
upnp.xml
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Return to “MapTool”