Macro function for server IP?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tichrimo
Kobold

Macro function for server IP?

Post by Tichrimo »

On the PC that is the MapTool server I also run a webserver that I'd like to link to from within my macros. However, I don't have a static IP, so every 2-6 months the IP address will change.

For now I have hard-coded my server IP as a campaign property (which I dutifully update by hand every time my IP changes). Is there a way to read the server's IP and automatically update this property?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Macro function for server IP?

Post by Full Bleed »

Tichrimo wrote:On the PC that is the MapTool server I also run a webserver that I'd like to link to from within my macros. However, I don't have a static IP, so every 2-6 months the IP address will change.

For now I have hard-coded my server IP as a campaign property (which I dutifully update by hand every time my IP changes). Is there a way to read the server's IP and automatically update this property?
It would probably be here if it existed: Wiki: getInfo()

And I don't see it.

You could put this in the suggestions forum. Since you can see this information in the File>Connection Information menu option it probably would not be that hard to add it to getInfo.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I take it you don't have a URL? If you use something like noip.com it can install a resident app to report your current ip and give you a URL. You register and manage your hosts to give yourself a subdomain (aliasmask) and a domain like redirectme.net for a url like aliasmask.redirectme.net (there's a dropdown list). Then you download the client for your server and run it. You never have to change your ip manually again.

Tichrimo
Kobold

Post by Tichrimo »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tichrimo wrote:On the PC that is the MapTool server I also run a webserver that I'd like to link to from within my macros. However, I don't have a static IP, so every 2-6 months the IP address will change.

It would probably be here if it existed: Wiki: getInfo()

And I don't see it.

You could put this in the suggestions forum. Since you can see this information in the File>Connection Information menu option it probably would not be that hard to add it to getInfo.
Yup, that's where I looked and expected to find it. Good idea to post it to the suggestions forum.

Return to “MapTool”