Connection issues for a dummy

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
oroniel
Kobold

Connection issues for a dummy

Post by oroniel »

Hello people. I must admit right away that I'm a 100% dummy in this kind of things, but I still hope that someone would be able to help me setting up the connection. I'm pretty familiar now with the "Networking FAQ" topic, I read the pdf document, and yet I don't understand how to do all this, port forwarding, UPnP, this fancy stuff, you know. I use wi-fi at a student house for my laptop, so I have no idea what kind of router is there, and I doubt that I can alter any router settings at all, so portforward.com doesn't help me. Uh... I'm so ignorant that I don't even know what to ask now, apart from what should I do? :( And please forgive me for being stupid, it's not laziness, I honestly tried to read the forums before writing this, but well.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Connection issues for a dummy

Post by Full Bleed »

oroniel wrote:Hello people. I must admit right away that I'm a 100% dummy in this kind of things, but I still hope that someone would be able to help me setting up the connection. I'm pretty familiar now with the "Networking FAQ" topic, I read the pdf document, and yet I don't understand how to do all this, port forwarding, UPnP, this fancy stuff, you know. I use wi-fi at a student house for my laptop, so I have no idea what kind of router is there, and I doubt that I can alter any router settings at all, so portforward.com doesn't help me. Uh... I'm so ignorant that I don't even know what to ask now, apart from what should I do? :( And please forgive me for being stupid, it's not laziness, I honestly tried to read the forums before writing this, but well.
Well, lets start with the very first question:

You don't just want to connect to a game, you want to run the Server for a game, correct?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

oroniel
Kobold

Post by oroniel »

Full Bleed wrote:You don't just want to connect to a game, you want to run the Server for a game, correct?
Yep, exactly like this!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

and the next question: will the 'others' be logging in on the lan or wan network? (local area network, as in: the same room/router or wide area network as in NOT the same router).

oroniel
Kobold

Post by oroniel »

wolph42 wrote:and the next question: will the 'others' be logging in on the lan or wan network? (local area network, as in: the same room/router or wide area network as in NOT the same router).
No, no LAN, they all live in another country, so should be WAN.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

oroniel wrote:No, no LAN, they all live in another country, so should be WAN.
When you start a server in MT, with UPnP checked, what happens?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

oroniel
Kobold

Post by oroniel »

Full Bleed wrote:When you start a server in MT, with UPnP checked, what happens?
UPnP Error - No Internet Gateway Devices found. UPnP port mapping will not be available.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

If you can't control the router on your end id suggest to let someone else run the server and then you log in. That person can start Aad player and you as gm. The other person though needs to load the campaign file.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:If you can't control the router on your end id suggest to let someone else run the server and then you log in. That person can start Aad player and you as gm. The other person though needs to load the campaign file.
What he said...

Or you can look into using Hamachi to set up a virtual private network.

Or you can contact your network administrator and see if they will forward a port for you.

oroniel
Kobold

Post by oroniel »

Hmm... All right, I asked a friend to host the server. He checked UPnP and it just said "Server started..." in the chat, but nothing else happened, and the server didn't appear on the list. Does this mean that UPnP is not on on his router? Or do I need to connect using his IP address through "Direct", not through "RPTools"?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

oroniel wrote:Hmm... All right, I asked a friend to host the server. He checked UPnP and it just said "Server started..." in the chat, but nothing else happened, and the server didn't appear on the list. Does this mean that UPnP is not on on his router? Or do I need to connect using his IP address through "Direct", not through "RPTools"?
The server probably started since he didn't get any warnings. He can click "Connection Information" to verify.

As for not seeing his server on the RPTools list... I bet he didn't set up an Alias for RPTools.net when he started his server. If not, it won't show in the connection list.

But, yes, you should be able to do a direct connect regardless.

oroniel
Kobold

Post by oroniel »

Full Bleed wrote:As for not seeing his server on the RPTools list... I bet he didn't set up an Alias for RPTools.net when he started his server. If not, it won't show in the connection list.
I asked him to do this, but I'll check again then, maybe he misunderstood something.
Full Bleed wrote:But, yes, you should be able to do a direct connect regardless.
So I need to use his external address, right? But what should I put in as port when I try to connect directly? (As far as I understand, you don't need to put in a specific port if you use UPnP for creating a server?)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

oroniel wrote:So I need to use his external address, right?
Yes. He can get that by checking his "Connection Information".
But what should I put in as port when I try to connect directly? (As far as I understand, you don't need to put in a specific port if you use UPnP for creating a server?)
I don't use UPnP, but I'm going to bet that you will still have to enter the port (default is 51234).

This isn't super up-to-date, but you should familiarize yourself with it: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Introduct ... me_Hosting

oroniel
Kobold

Post by oroniel »

Full Bleed wrote:This isn't super up-to-date, but you should familiarize yourself with it: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Introduct ... me_Hosting
Yes, I did read this, but I actually understood the point of UPnP only after your post. It all seems to work now, thanks a lot for being so patient.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

I had similar connection issues with Windows 8 but once I told the firewall to allow java.exe it cleared up the problem.

If you are not sure if the firewall is the issue just disable the windows firewall entirely and then test MapTools. If it works you know that's the problem. Turn it back on then make sure you allow java.exe.

Return to “MapTool”