Looking for a streamlined Pathfinder framework

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
TheIneffableCheese
Cave Troll

Looking for a streamlined Pathfinder framework

Post by TheIneffableCheese »

Hello all,

I used MapTool several years ago, and did get some basic macro writing under my belt, but it's been way too long, and I'm basically starting from scratch.

My group plays face-to-face, but we really enjoyed the added level of immersion we were able to get from using MapTool. There is something very satisfying about slowly revealing a dungeon by torch light, and MT's vision and Fog of War capabilities are fantastic.

Since we're all at the table together, we tend to really like chucking dice. We're also mostly Hero Lab users, so that takes care of the bulk of the number crunching. What I'm looking for is a framework to help keep track of initiative and HP on the baddies with a minimum amount of fuss. I looked into lmarkus's really impressive framework, but it is way more than I need - kind of like driving to the corner store for a carton of milk in a Ferrari.

I've played around with ToyRobot's Initiative Toolbar, and it seems to be more or less what I'm looking for. However, it doesn't look like the Non-Lethal Damage macro was ever completed. I never made it past very basic macro writing so trying to break apart the Lib token and figure out using forms and the like is a bit beyond me. I could probably cobble something together on the side to handle that, but I'm hoping someone else has already put together something like what I need.

Mostly I need a solid Initiative tracker (bonus if it has a timer like TR's Toolbar) and a way to heal and damage tokens. I've got state icons I can use to mark current conditions, and I don't need the framework to deal with the mechanics of new states.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Looking for a streamlined Pathfinder framework

Post by aliasmask »

I still use a variation of that framework for my table top game. It helps when keeping track of modifiers. I used 2 monitors and 2 instances running on same machine. I use the one screen as a dm screen and the other is for the players. I use "center players on current view (continuous)" option. You can also set the states manually, like prone by double clicking on token or using the option menu for token (right-click options).

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Give this a poke and let me know what you think: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 90#p256784

It is based on LM's framework but I created image buttons for macros so it's not intimidating. You can track some common spells/states easily as well as timers and summon monsters.

I completely tweeked the init maco's to handle most things you need plus lm's framework already handles damage pretty good.

We play face to face weekly as well so my changes revolve around quick stat views blocks for reference and tracking vision/fow/hp/states. All dice rolls are real dice mostly and hero lab for number crunching. Statblock importer also works on most HL statblocks.

If you have questions or need updates let me know, i have some more updates since that post.
-Jamz

TheIneffableCheese
Cave Troll

Post by TheIneffableCheese »

I took a look, and it is honestly still more than I really wanted. After vacillating back and forth on the issue, I finally decided to bite the bullet and just roll my own.

I'm using Wolph's BoT campaign file as a basis because I love the teleport pads and the like. I'm adding properties and macros to handle initiative, damage, healing, and marking tokens with condition and spell indicators. I've still got a ways to go, but I think I can get something that will handle my needs without taking too much time.

My long term goal is to get a fully integrated effect timer built, but that is definitely more of a want than a need. It is definitely more work, but I had forgotten how satisfying it is to program a solution to deal with a defined problem - but I'm sure no one on this forum knows anything about that... :)

Return to “MapTool”