MapTool 1.3.b91 Cycles Available Network Devices...

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Cryotech
Cave Troll

MapTool 1.3.b91 Cycles Available Network Devices...

Post by Cryotech »

Hello All,

Seems no matter what I do, I cannot get MapTools to run as a server anymore and it's frustrating beyond all get-up.

Running Windows 7
Latest Java (freshly installed) 8.40
MapTools 1.3.b91

When I attempt to start a server using UPnP enabled, MT cycles through available network devices and errors out claiming no network device found which isn't true because I actually see my network device within the MT cycle.

What is the "working" workaround?

For many moons MT has not been able to use UPnP smoothly as it once did and I'm not sure why this issue is still an issue.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: MapTool 1.3.b91 Cycles Available Network Devices...

Post by Full Bleed »

Cryotech wrote:What is the "working" workaround?
Manually open the port you're using on your router if UPNP isn't working for you.

If that doesn't work, there is another issue at play.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Cryotech
Cave Troll

Post by Cryotech »

You're referring to port forwarding correct? I really hate having to open ports just to host a MapTool game but I guess if that's the only way to work around the broken UPnP feature, I guess I'll give it a go.

Cryotech
Cave Troll

Post by Cryotech »

Actually, I really don't want to have to keep enabling and disabling port forward on my router. Is there not a working workaround to this UPnP issue besides port forwarding?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Cryotech wrote:Actually, I really don't want to have to keep enabling and disabling port forward on my router. Is there not a working workaround to this UPnP issue besides port forwarding?
I've have the same problem. There is someone looking in to it, but if you don't want to use port forwarding then you can go back and use b89. UPnP works for me in that build.

If you're worried about security there are things you can do to help protect your system. I'm just using the built in firewall from comcast's router and changed the settings to max. I went to shieldsup (grc.com) and tested my forwarded port and they said everything was okay. Unless you're running a business server off your machine, I wouldn't be too paranoid about being hacked. You're more likely to infect your own machine with your activity than someone is to exploit a random open port above 1056.

Code: Select all

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2015-04-05 at 05:15:32

Results from probe of port: 51234

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
    1 Ports Stealth
---------------------
    1 Ports Tested

THE PORT tested was found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Cryotech
Cave Troll

Post by Cryotech »

Hey there Alias, how's things been?

I tried 89 and same problem. I just keep receiving the dreaded 'UpnP device not found" error message.

I *think* I may have found the underlying issue though. I may just be being dense here, but couldn't the problem not be the router (per se) but the network card preventing the router from being talked to?

Reason I'm saying this is because I have a Linksys router but I notice when MapTools scans for devices, it doesn't scan for my router, it scans Teredo Tunneling device (too be honest, not sure what that is) and only my TP-Link network card which was custom installed and fails. Nothing regarding LinkSys.

As I said, I could just be tired and dense and the network card may not even be a factor lol.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I really don't know what the problem is with my machine and I'm semi-literate in networking and I did a lot of testing to try and track down the issue, although I don't have the hardware to swap out to point to any one device.

It could still be a configuration issue. This may be a silly question, but routers do have an on/off switch for UPnP. Try toggling it and then start a server. But if you have port forwarding assigned on your router, delete that first. Also, try connecting with different ports. I usually switch between 51234 and 51235. If any of this works in b89 then you can try it in b91.

I've had several linksys routers and they just poop out sometimes. I used to HATE the comcast routers but the newer ones are full featured and very well configured.

Return to “MapTool”