[BETA FEATURE] Isometric Map & new Token type - Please test

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: [BETA FEATURE] Isometric Map & new Token type - Please t

Post by Jagged »

xavram wrote:How does one get around this? Obviously, the players should be able to see the door from either side of it, right?
Hi,

If you download the example map from the first page, it has a couple of doors in it that show placement. I have just updated it to add an extra door, so you can see it working from both directions.

cheers
door.png
door.png (73.47 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Hmmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong on my door tokens...can you include your pngs for your doors, so I can see how they're set up?

BTW...these Isometric maps are just the coolest eye candy I've seen in Maptool in a long time!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Well the doors are in the campaign.

However the important thing is the positioning. The door needs to be in the middle of the token image and not off to one side as I may have suggested in a previous thread.

Here is what the door token looks like on the vision blocking layer:
visionBlocking.png
visionBlocking.png (30.02 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
The door is on the Object layer and is a Figure Type Token.
Attachments
door1.png
door1.png (72.45 KiB) Viewed 2296 times

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

makes more sense now, thanks!

Yes, my test drawing was based on one where the door was more on the edge.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

So, another question on the isometric maps and doors. I got it working with your example file, I now understand how it has to be position really perfectly.

But, this only works if the door is perfectly aligned to the gird. What are the options if you have a map with a door that DOESN'T align to the gridlines? Seems like you would need a custom picture of your door and that could be a real bear to try to draw perfectly so that it aligns just right with your VBL.

Thoughts?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

What do you mean by "aligns with the grid?"

Whether or not the door can be seen is based upon the bounding area of the token and that doesn't have to align with the grid. So if you can see 4/9th of the centre of the bounding area, you can see the whole of the token image. The doors in the example map are not on the grid, they have been moved half off the grid to line up with the VBL.

Do you mean the doors need to match up with the isometric angles? In which case "yes", for the doors to work they need to match the appropriate isometric angle.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:BTW...these Isometric maps are just the coolest eye candy I've seen in Maptool in a long time!
I would like to add kudos on this addition to MT.

Thanks for the work Jagged!
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

My pleasure. I am hoping to see some pictures of them in use :)

BruntFCA
Kobold

Post by BruntFCA »

I just tried this with a large map - it worked better than expected. The map I used was about 4MB, this one,

http://i.imgur.com/g9W1XKu.jpg

I needed to increase the memory footprint to 2GB however.

The map is 100 pp inch and lined up perfectly, but image does now look a bit pixelated. The worst thing however, is that on selecting a token the mouse now seems hyper-sensitive (and I use low sensitivity on my mouse); clicking a token would invariable make the grid highlight jump to somewhere silly before I moved it to where I wanted.

Getting a 3D token seems a bit of a hassle; I can't imagine creating my token from 8 different angles in something like Daz Studio. Is there any chance of just making a cardboard popup token by simply reversing the image on one side, and translating the image in up (z) as opposed to making a flat "coin" token?

Thus when selecting flip isometric the default is an old school pop-up token. All that would be needed is an original 2D image since the translations would be striaghtforward.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I am impressed that you managed to successfully utilise such a large map. That's great.

I am not sure about changing how the 3D tokens are managed though. There are probably too many different options, so I think it would be better to take something like that to an external tool. I notice that Bhoritzcreates 3D tokens in exactly the way you describe, I think he uses SketchUp.

astinus
Kobold

Post by astinus »

Thanks for doing such great work, Jagged 8)

I'm having a problem getting tokens to line up with the grid. My steps are:

1. Create a map with an isometric grid.
2. Drop a token on the map, change it to 'figure' and 'snap to grid'.
3. It moves about perfectly, stays aligned with the grid, etc. What a joy to use.

It's after the next steps that I start to run into problems:

4. Import an isometric map created in Tiled. This map has a grid on it; if I took it off I wouldn't be able to align with the grid in MapTool.
5. Adjust the MapTool grid so it aligns with the Tiled grid. That works fine, it aligns perfectly. But ...
6. Try moving the token again, and now it moves out of alignment with the grid. So, when 'show path' is selected, and the squares are highlighted white, the path and the token are no longer aligned with the grid. It's as if adjusting the grid, to align it with the grid on the Tiled map, throws the tokens out and I can't work out the solution.

All I can think of is to not snap the token to the grid, but then we lose the counting of movement, pathing, etc.

Any help appreciated. And I'm new to MapTool (as of today) so apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Thanks!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I suspect the issue is with the map. I don't know Tiled but if it makes true isometric maps, then that won't work :(

Can you link to the map somewhere?

Nildik
Cave Troll

Post by Nildik »

Hello

I have the same issue, like astinus.

When I adjust the grid (for every map or texture background) and move the tokens in this map, the highlighted white seems "unaligned" (see the picture)
Attachments
isometric error.jpg
isometric error.jpg (146.68 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Yes, happy to take a look if you can provide a link

Return to “MapTool”