Players can't enter, they keep timing out,

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Dunsparce
Kobold

Players can't enter, they keep timing out,

Post by Dunsparce »

Okay I am terrible with computers. Up until now I was using OpenRPG, which has servers where you could make rooms to play games. Trying to make your own server and get other players in is confusing, I don't understand any of this porting forward stuff. I have windows 8.1 and have the most current versions of maptools and java.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Players can't enter, they keep timing out,

Post by lmarkus001 »

A loose Port Forwarding analogy:

Street Address of an Apartment Complex = IP Address of Router
Collection of numbered mailboxes in entry way = ports
An individual apartment = a single computer

A piece of mail is addressed to:
Apartment Complex PFAnalogy
Box 51234
13 Main Street
Yourtown, USA

You live in apartment 231b.
The management has let you know that mail that is delivered to you will be in the mailbox #51234 in the entry lobby.

Parallel in the Internet
A person wants to connect to your MapTool server on your computer

The address of your Router might be:
And the port MapTool might be listening too could be:
And the internal address of your computer might be:

But you might have more than one computer attached to that router. So your router management must connect anything going to the box 51234 to the MapTool on your specific computer.

So you need to port-forward any traffic...
So traffic going to 108.16.253.13:51234
should be routed to 192.168.1.15:51234

===================================================
Port forwarding happens in your router, so you have to configure your router.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Dunsparce wrote:Okay I am terrible with computers. Up until now I was using OpenRPG, which has servers where you could make rooms to play games. Trying to make your own server and get other players in is confusing, I don't understand any of this porting forward stuff. I have windows 8.1 and have the most current versions of maptools and java.
See if this helps: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3370
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Dunsparce
Kobold

Post by Dunsparce »

Okay I need to be a bit more specific.

I can create servers, but no-one can join. I can enter other people's servers just find. I opened the portal on my firewall and it still won't work, and I find that pdf highly confusing. Clicking the server name gives my players a error, whist entering directly via IP make them time out. I need a very specific step-by-step idea of that to do without any weird terminology I wouldn't understand.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

It sounds exactly like your issue is Port Forwarding with your router. Each router has its own interface with which to setup port-forwarding. You need to set the port you forward to the same number you set MapTool too. You will see the port number in MapTool when you Start Server (there will be a Port: field directly under Username:). I use 51234.

In your router interface you will need to specify the mapping that associates TCP traffic going to port 51234 to your computers port 51234. Once applied, MapTool will then be open to people outside of your network.

To be clearer, there is almost NOTHING you do in MapTool (other than identify the port number, for which it has a default value). All of your configuration occurs in your router, which is very router specific.

So there is no "push these buttons" answer. You must learn something new, woo hoo! That is why the referenced pdf exists. It helps teach you what you must learn.

Return to “MapTool”