Player in LAN suddenly can't find the server in LAN Tab

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Deus X Machina
Kobold

Player in LAN suddenly can't find the server in LAN Tab

Post by Deus X Machina »

Five days ago, I used Maptool to show a Map to my players. All worked well, I tested it before, it was easy to start connecting, chosing the Lan Tab, and connecting to the server.

Yesterday the same procedure failed.
Whatever I did, i couldn't get the client to find the server.
It was still findable in the server list (but of course I couldn't connect that way).

I tested turning off both firewalls and antivirus softwares, but it didn't help.

I am using:
Windows 7
Maptool 1.3.b91 (on both Pcs, from a downloaded file)
Java 7 Update 67

I tried finding something in the log file, but all the timestamps date half a year back.

I don't think I installed anything in these 4 days, and I also didn't change anything on the router in these days.

I CAN connect to myself with a second started maptool.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Player in LAN suddenly can't find the server in LAN Tab

Post by aliasmask »

You can try a direct connect by putting in the ip of the server along with the port number.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Deus X Machina wrote:Five days ago, I used Maptool to show a Map to my players. All worked well, I tested it before, it was easy to start connecting, chosing the Lan Tab, and connecting to the server.

Yesterday the same procedure failed.
Whatever I did, i couldn't get the client to find the server.
It was still findable in the server list (but of course I couldn't connect that way).
The nature of this failure is unclear.

You're saying that your server was "findable in the server list" but the client "couldn't find the server"?
Last edited by Full Bleed on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Yeah half my players cannot see my server on the lan tab so either manually enter the ip or go out the router and then back in...

Deus X Machina
Kobold

Post by Deus X Machina »

Full Bleed wrote:You're saying that your server was "findable in the server list" but the client "couldn't find the server"?
I meant, that it was in the internet Server list, but not visible in the Lan Tab

Meanwhile, I have solved the issue, and for Reference i want to leave the problem in my case here:
My Router did not establish / keep / connect / ... whatever the Local Network. i have no idea why that happened. I had a printer problem too, thats why I noticed it. and a restart of the Router (That also connects to the net) solved both issues.
I didn't even think, that the Router could put me through to the net, but not connect all the things locally.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I had a linksys go bad on me and do the same thing.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Deus X Machina wrote:My Router did not establish / keep / connect / ... whatever the Local Network. i have no idea why that happened. I had a printer problem too, thats why I noticed it. and a restart of the Router (That also connects to the net) solved both issues.
I didn't even think, that the Router could put me through to the net, but not connect all the things locally.
I've had something similar happen to my wireless printer "disconnecting" from the network. In my case I think it might have had something to do with the order of engagement after a power outage.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”