Having a problem with the launcher

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Raktus
Giant

Having a problem with the launcher

Post by Raktus »

So, I recently installed a new program which I needed to update my Java for. Since updating my Java, I have not been able to get the Maptools launcher to work. I can get the primary launcher to work with base memory settings, but I need increased settings for the macros and large maps I use. I tried using the customized launcher from the front site, but that doesn't start either...

what else can I do to launch maptools with increased settings?

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Having a problem with the launcher

Post by taustinoc »

If you're using 32 bit Windows, you can't set the max memory to more than, at best, about 1.5 gig (and 1024 is recommended). A combination of Windows' memory management and the way Java uses memory prevent anything more than that.

If you're not using Windows, or are using Win64, this doesn't apply (but will apply to any players who connect using Win32).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

In the launcher under the Advanced tab you can set the directory of your java. When java 8 is installed it points java to the equivalent of a shortcut link. What you want to do is go to the actual javaw.exe file. You should find that under Program Files\java\jre1.8.XX\bin\javaw.exe

Point to that java file in the launcher. If you don't want to java 8, you can do the same thing in the jre7 folder.

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

You mean this?

java -Xms256M -Xmx2048M -Xss4M -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\.maptool -jar maptool-1.4.0.initial-a9c5ea4.jar run

Which part of that should I be changing?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Are you not using launcherXX.jar file to start the program? If not then you change the path of java.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java -Xms64M -Xmx2048M -Xss3M  -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=C:\Users\Chris\.maptool   -jar maptool-1.3.b91.jar run

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

I am, that's where I got that line from...
Stupid question, how do I edit it? I can select it to copy, but can't type into it.
I hit the selecet java location button and go tot he bin directory... still doesn't launch though.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There's a button on the Advanced tab right above the Launch MapTool button that allows you to browse to your directory. It'll be the bin directory of whatever java version you chose.

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

Aye, I browse there and it still doesn't launch

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You're being too vague for me to help. Uninstall all java installations, re-install java 7 64bit and it should work on its own. Don't forget to reset the java path in the launcher (same button).

CircaWar
Kobold

Post by CircaWar »

I'm having the exact same problem.
When I go to set the Java Directory, nothing besides three folders titled: client, dtplugin, and dtplugin2 appear. I reinstalled Java8, I checked the folder itself and I can see javaw.exe inside of it. I tried to manually type in the location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin\javaw.exe" but that did not work either.

Return to “MapTool”