Can never get anyone to connect to me

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Raktus
Giant

Can never get anyone to connect to me

Post by Raktus »

So, I used to be able to host games until I got a new router with my upgraded web service. Since then everyone that connects to me has gotten:

Could not load campaign. java.net connectionException: Connection refused: connect

I also appearently do not show up in the server list. I have no firewall and the firewall on the modem is disabled. I've opened the ports via virtual server and port forwarding, as well as trying the DMZ option. Nothing has worked...

PLEASE HELP!

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Can never get anyone to connect to me

Post by taustinoc »

To start with the obvious, double check the port forwarding settings. Specifically, check that the correct port number is entered, and double and triple check the public IP address (it will usually change when you changed the router on a consumer account) and the private IP address for your desktop (it will also likely change when you change the router). The public IP address is what the other players need to connect, the private one is what you need the forward the port to.

If that's all correct, ask your ISP if they have blocked incoming connections.

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

Unfortunately I have spent hours with online tech support remote accessing my computer to make sure all that stuff was right, verifying that I'm not blocked for it. Like I said, I have every port allowance setting on, checked that the port is listening and established through command prompt.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Do you have another local computer you try to connect with?

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

Unfortunately not

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Not showing up on the server list suggests that it's something on your computer affecting both incoming and outgoing connections, I think. Are you certain the Windows firewall hasn't gotten turned on? (Assuming you're on Windows, that is.) Updates will sometimes do stupid, annoying things like that.

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

Well, I don't have it turned on and defender is off... dunno what else it could be.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Raktus wrote:Unfortunately I have spent hours with online tech support remote accessing my computer to make sure all that stuff was right, verifying that I'm not blocked for it. Like I said, I have every port allowance setting on, checked that the port is listening and established through command prompt.
First of all, I'd lock everything back down. Turn on your router firewall, enable defender, turn on window's firewall, remove the DMZ. MT does not require such draconian moves to function correctly. I have *all* of those things (and then some) set and have no problems. So, lets get past that. There is no reason to open yourself up to so many potential hazards to use this program.

Second, can you run two instances of MT on your own computer, run a server on one, and connect through the LAN tab with the other?

Third, when you run your server, have you check-boxed "Use UPnP"? If your router supports it, you won't have to do anything else.

Fourth, please share your Help>Gather Debug Information from MT.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

Full Bleed wrote:First of all, I'd lock everything back down. Turn on your router firewall, enable defender, turn on window's firewall, remove the DMZ. MT does not require such draconian moves to function correctly. I have *all* of those things (and then some) set and have no problems. So, lets get past that. There is no reason to open yourself up to so many potential hazards to use this program.
Well, I turned off DMZ and all that jazz as soon as it failed to work.
Full Bleed wrote:Second, can you run two instances of MT on your own computer, run a server on one, and connect through the LAN tab with the other?
Yes
Full Bleed wrote:Third, when you run your server, have you check-boxed "Use UPnP"? If your router supports it, you won't have to do anything else.
I do, but it never works. I always get:

Error
UPnP: Found 1IGDs but no port mapping succeeded!?
Full Bleed wrote:Fourth, please share your Help>Gather Debug Information from MT.
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.initial-a9c5ea4

MapTool Home...: ..\..\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 1,428M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_79
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_79-b15)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 8.1
OS Version.....: 6.3
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;.
Number of Procs: 8

==== User Information ====
User Name: Raktus
User Home: C:\Users\Raktus
User Dir.: C:\Users\Raktus\Desktop\Maptools

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Interface Name: net1
Address...: 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:3001:3037:b449:ddd2
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:3001:3037:b449:ddd2%3

Display Name..: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Interface Name: eth0
Address...: 192.168.0.2
Address...: 2606:a000:e102:ee00:40ba:2dcb:435e:523
Address...: 2606:a000:e102:ee00:51e3:a263:e295:ea49
Address...: 2606:a000:e102:ee00:6147:a9c:8bf0:f18b
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:40ba:2dcb:435e:523%4

Host Address...: 192.168.0.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1280x1024(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: ARRIS TG1672G Router
Model Name..: ARRIS TG1672G Router
Manufacturer: ARRIS
Model Number: 4.2.1.35_1106
Model Desc..: ARRIS TG1672G Router
Firmware....: Linux/2.6.18_pro500 UPnP/1.0 MiniUPnPd/1.5
External IP.: 75.182.34.45

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Raktus wrote: Model Desc..: ARRIS TG1672G Router
I want to double check that you've manually opened the port properly.

Here is the procedure from their documentation:
1. Access and log into the configuration interface.
2. Click the Firewall tab.
3. Click Virtual Servers in the side menu to display the Virtual Server Configuration screen.
4. Check the Add button to display the Add Virtual Server dialog box.
5. Enter the following parameters in the dialog box.
Description – MT
Inbound Port – 51234-51234
Format – TCP
Private IP Address – 192.168.0.2
Local Port – 51234-51234
6. Click the Add Virtual Server button to add the virtual server.
Keep in mind that your "Private IP" address may change on you router, so you may need to change that on occasion or make your computer's local IP address static.

Then start a server in MT and have someone use the Direct Connect tab using your external IP: 75.182.34.45

If you don't have anyone to check right now, use http://canyouseeme.org/ to check using your external IP and the 51234 port. What does it say?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

That's exactly what I've been doing.

Error: I could not see your service on 75.182.34.45 on port (51234)
Reason: Connection refused

Is what I get back.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Didn't you have this same problem with a different router?

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

Same one as before Alias... I'm really hoping against hope that someone has a new idea or new insight so many months down the road from my initial cry for help. I mean, this cannot be an impossible problem! -_-

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Raktus wrote:Same one as before Alias... I'm really hoping against hope that someone has a new idea or new insight so many months down the road from my initial cry for help. I mean, this cannot be an impossible problem! -_-
Uninstall all Java installations. Reboot your computer. Then install the latest Java 8 (64 Bit) and make sure you *allow* all security exceptions.

Raktus
Giant

Post by Raktus »

I can't get the launcher on maptools to start with Java 8 for some reason. I recently just went back to the old Java for that reason.

Return to “MapTool”