Unrecognized map issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Unrecognized map issue

Post by Darcphaze »

At least I think that's what it is. I took a 1.3b87 campaign file, no macros, and opened it in 13b91, 512m-4m

The campaign files opens fine, although it's zoomed down into pixels. To be fair, the map is 6 miles by 5 miles. The grid is good. When I zoom out and save a view, leave the program and come back in, it's back to the same zoomed in place I started out in, not the place where I saved it.

So I start looking around. It says I don't have a map. The map is on background, its in the grid perfectly, yet the program does not recognize that the 'map' is there in the "Edit Map" feature. I show it the map image with the Map button. And it sees it. I save and leave. Come back, it's at the same zoomed in place and will not save a view.

It's a huge map. I don't look forward to redoing it just so I can save a view. What am I doing wrong here?
======
I shoulda known :D thanks

TalenRegencyFile
Last edited by Darcphaze on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Unrecognized map issue

Post by Full Bleed »

Darcphaze wrote:At least I think that's what it is. I took a 1.3b87 campaign file, no macros, and opened it in 13b91, 512m-4m

The campaign files opens fine, although it's zoomed down into pixels. To be fair, the map is 6 miles by 5 miles. The grid is good. When I zoom out and save a view, leave the program and come back in, it's back to the same zoomed in place I started out in, not the place where I saved it.

So I start looking around. It says I don't have a map. The map is on background, its in the grid perfectly, yet the program does not recognize that the 'map' is there in the "Edit Map" feature. I show it the map image with the Map button. And it sees it. I save and leave. Come back, it's at the same zoomed in place and will not save a view.

It's a huge map. I don't look forward to redoing it just so I can save a view. What am I doing wrong here?
Not sure. You might want to share the campaign file so people can see exactly what's happening.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

Ok tacked it on above.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Ok. Everything seems "ok" with the map in so far as the map being "recognized". However, I think you might have a few misconceptions about how things work.

1) The default location/zoom when loading into the map will be near 0,0 at 100%. That's why you keep getting "reset" to that same point when you reload. MT doesn't inherently remember where you save it. You can change this using Wiki: goto() and Wiki: setZoom() in onCampaignLoad. You could also build a macro to "record" a location and set a new default that onCampaignLoad will use if you want. But you may still run into a lot of usability issues due to the size of your grid unless you understand how you need to use it.

2) The default map scale you're using is problematic. Turn on grid (View>Show Grid). Below 20% zoom the grid will disappear because it it too small to be of much use. You *really* need to make the grid size much larger unless you're ok with the massive pixelation at a usable zoom level and you plan on dropping images that will be usable at highly zoomed in levels (i.e. you could put a high rez cutout of a section of the map that will only really be visible when you really zoom in to see it.) I think this is what you're trying to do... but if you're not, you need to change the scale of the map.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

And in the just released 1.4 there is the setViewArea function, that does a similar thing to goto() and setZoom() but allows you to specify a rectangle to view instead.

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

Thanks folks :D and yes putting smaller blocks in is what I'm planning to do.

Return to “MapTool”