Question: Screenshots as new Image?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Rulyon
Kobold

Question: Screenshots as new Image?

Post by Rulyon »

Hello, folks. I am brand-spankin'-new to RPTools. I was thrilled when I read about the capabilities of the tools available here, and flabbergasted when I realized it was all available for free.

Whaaaaat?

Anyway, to my question:

I run a play-by-post game of Pathfinder on a forum. I'm hoping I can use the maps I make in MapTool for it. The idea is to create a map, take a screen shot of it in JPG format, and share the images on the forum to illustrate the playing field for my players.

My question is, is this possible? How?

I intend to fiddle with everything and try to figure it out on my own, but if someone can help me with some knowledge and experience it would dramatically reduce wasted time.

Thank you in advance for your help!

~Rulyon

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Question: Screenshots as new Image?

Post by wolph42 »

first of, welcome to the maptool community. I can advice you to have a look at the top link in my sig, although the other links might be of interest as well.

What you ask can be done and is relatively easy to do. Creating a map is something you need to do yourself, although you might want to use the 'field editor' from the bot (later, i would start with mt vanilla for now). Exporting a map as image is one of the menu options, which should be easy to find (forgot its name). IRC theres some kind of bug in that option for one choice, so you might want to fiddle around a bit with the settings for that export.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I do a similar thing when I do post-session-write-ups. Some examples here and here. But I have always just taken screenshots using Print Screen.

The advantage of Print Screen is that if you go the extra mile of adding it Vision and Lighting, then you can show that using "Player View". But none of that will be shown in a map export.

Rulyon
Kobold

Post by Rulyon »

Wow, what quick responses! Thank you, folks! :-)
wolph42 wrote:first of, welcome to the maptool community. I can advice you to have a look at the top link in my sig, although the other links might be of interest as well.

What you ask can be done and is relatively easy to do. Creating a map is something you need to do yourself, although you might want to use the 'field editor' from the bot (later, i would start with mt vanilla for now). Exporting a map as image is one of the menu options, which should be easy to find (forgot its name). IRC theres some kind of bug in that option for one choice, so you might want to fiddle around a bit with the settings for that export.
Thank you for welcoming me again, wolf42. I saved your links to my reading list from my first post in the introduction thread but I haven't had a chance to start reading them yet. This weekend I plan on hunkering down for some intensive reading and assimilation of data.

I'm glad to see it's as simple as a menu option. I enjoy when the small things are simple.
Jagged wrote:I do a similar thing when I do post-session-write-ups. Some examples here and here. But I have always just taken screenshots using Print Screen.

The advantage of Print Screen is that if you go the extra mile of adding it Vision and Lighting, then you can show that using "Player View". But none of that will be shown in a map export.
Thanks for the advice, Jagged. I am certainly a lighting and visibility guy. My tabletop group finds my sticking to my guns in that regard frustrating but in an enjoyable amber, if that makes sense? It's rather convenient to be able to show that for the forum game as well.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The trick to getting the screen shot to work is setting your zoom to 1:1 before using it.

Rulyon
Kobold

Post by Rulyon »

That will be handy to know. Thanks aliasmask.

Return to “MapTool”