How do get Maptool to use Java 8 on the latest Mac OS 10.11?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
nirkedar
Cave Troll

How do get Maptool to use Java 8 on the latest Mac OS 10.11?

Post by nirkedar »

I recently installed OS El Capitan on my Mac (version 10.11).
I also installed the latest version of Java 8 (at the default folder location).

I would like to get Maptool (b1.3 v91) to run this new Java version instead of the the built-in Java 6 (1.6) version. Can someone please help me with concise instructions how to go about this.

Thanks in advance.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: How do get Maptool to use Java 8 on the latest Mac OS 10

Post by wolph42 »

interesting. when you google 'maptool mac java 8" this is the first link that show up...without an answer.

Im on holiday and it turns out that my surface is to 'weak' to test the latest version of the dungeon builder 3. Fortunately we have a mac lying around here...unfortunately it starts crying 'need java 6' to run mt91, which is BS but Im clueless how to change that.

so anyone?

Solution:use the web launcher.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

If you would be willing to run a test for us....

Go to maptool.nerps.net and download the Mac version. It's a 1.4.x beta that includes the 1.8 64bit JRE in DMG format. It should install on a Mac but I can not test it (I only have windows/linux available). Note, this MT is coded to use the packaged JRE so it will use 1.8 regardless of what you have installed.

We plan on using the same mechanism for 1.4.1.0 soon(tm) so now is the time to work out any bugs.

*edit: if you are hard set on needing 1.3.b91, sorry, can't help with that front. Although eventually someone with a Mac surely has an answer here...(can you uninstall java 1.6 so only the 1.8 version is installed?)
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JamzTheMan wrote:If you would be willing to run a test for us....

Go to maptool.nerps.net and download the Mac version. It's a 1.4.x beta that includes the 1.8 64bit JRE in DMG format. It should install on a Mac but I can not test it (I only have windows/linux available). Note, this MT is coded to use the packaged JRE so it will use 1.8 regardless of what you have installed.

We plan on using the same mechanism for 1.4.1.0 soon(tm) so now is the time to work out any bugs.

*edit: if you are hard set on needing 1.3.b91, sorry, can't help with that front. Although eventually someone with a Mac surely has an answer here...(can you uninstall java 1.6 so only the 1.8 version is installed?)
I already found the solution: use the weblauncher.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Isn't the web launcher going to have to be retired as the method is no longer supported by Oracle, and generally frowned upon by Internet security gurus?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:Isn't the web launcher going to have to be retired as the method is no longer supported by Oracle, and generally frowned upon by Internet security gurus?
well I did have to lower and bypass quite some security settings before I got the weblaunch to work.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Correct, Web-Launch is going the way of the dodo bird. Was supposed to be replace by JavaFX embeded as a web app more or less but there's controversy even on that.

I can't say for sure how long we'll support the Web-Launch for future versions... But hopefully that will be a non-issue if the JRE is embedded?
-Jamz

allanimal
Kobold

Post by allanimal »

JamzTheMan wrote:If you would be willing to run a test for us....

I'm not the OP but I have a similar problem - I get the "Unable to Load Java Runtime Environment" whenever I try to load a 1.4.x version of maptool.
1.3b89 has been working fine for me for years...

So, I downloaded this version and it launches.
Will I need to get all of my players to download this version in order for me to run a game, or can the launcher in this version be used to launch the released 1.4.0.3 version?
If so, how?

Thanks for any help!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Actually yes, I think so (untested though)

Use the new launcher, then change the MapTool jar in the launcher to point to the 1.4.0.x version. It should still use the packaged 1.8 JRE and go.

Note, we now have a new Dev Build as well which is built off the latest MT code base and will be the future stable release. You can read about it here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 18#p263315
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”