Am i mission a option somewhere....

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xakic
Kobold

Am i mission a option somewhere....

Post by xakic »

First off i'm really liking the tool.. just started using it this week and my players really liked it... the set up i'm using it in as follows..

My main desktop is running the map as the server. my (windows) tablet is connected as GM and i have a all-in-one 20inch touch screen computer laying flat on the tablet running as client for the players to move around on (if anyone cares we are playing Edge of the Empire Star wars RPG)

It worked great..

I only has 1 "issue" with using the whole set up.. mainly just a minor annoyance.

Is there some way to reverse the right/left click when clicking on the back ground. By default (on the tablet/touchscreen) when you touch and drag on the background you get a selection box.. to move the map around you have to touch and hold for a bit (1-2 seconds) so the computer recognizes that you a doing a right click then you can drag the map around... The pinch to zoom works ok.. little choppy but completely reasonable

i could probably set the computer to reverse the touch but that would add TONS of other issues

any other suggestions on how to "deal" with this would be great

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Am i mission a option somewhere....

Post by Jagged »

I am afraid I can't answer your question but your setup sounds really cool. Any chance of some pictures?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I can answer your question: no there isn't.

However its a good request, I've been struggling with it in the beginning as well and there has been a discussion whether to change it or not... its basically a matter of what is done more: move the map or move the tokens. I can completely imagine that different styles of play requires different interactions. So ill drop this as a request on the forum.

edit: done: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=26263

xakic
Kobold

Post by xakic »

Jagged wrote:I am afraid I can't answer your question but your setup sounds really cool. Any chance of some pictures?
SURE! =)

here they are.. 1st one is my POV other 2 are where my players sit

http://imgur.com/uPrVkbG

http://imgur.com/KUOpR2d

http://imgur.com/AOLRH0x
Last edited by aliasmask on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed links

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Nifty setup!
xakic wrote:I only has 1 "issue" with using the whole set up.. mainly just a minor annoyance.

Is there some way to reverse the right/left click when clicking on the back ground. By default (on the tablet/touchscreen) when you touch and drag on the background you get a selection box.. to move the map around you have to touch and hold for a bit (1-2 seconds) so the computer recognizes that you a doing a right click then you can drag the map around... The pinch to zoom works ok.. little choppy but completely reasonable
So you want to change the default behaviour to be:

Touch: Drag screen
Touch & Hold: Select

How do your players currently move their tokens around after selecting them?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xakic
Kobold

Post by xakic »

Full Bleed wrote:
So you want to change the default behaviour to be:

Touch: Drag screen
Touch & Hold: Select

How do your players currently move their tokens around after selecting them?
No what I was aiming for is if you touch a area that is NOT a token or something movable and drag it would move the map like right clicking does now instead of doing the area select

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xakic wrote:No what I was aiming for is if you touch a area that is NOT a token or something movable and drag it would move the map like right clicking does now instead of doing the area select
Ok, lets spell out what you are looking for.

Currently the mouse functions like this--

Left Click: Select
Left Click and Drag (Map): Selection Box
Left Click and Drag (Token): Move Token

Right Click: Context Menu
Right Click and Drag: Move Map

It sounds like you have the following options with your touch screen--

Touch:
Touch & Drag (Map):
Touch & Drag (Token):

Touch & Hold:
Touch & Hold & Drag:

Rather then surmise what those do now, you should fill them in and then provide a description of what you want them to do.

It seems like just swapping mouse buttons won't fix your problem. It sounds like we would need to be able to set each of the 4 mouse options individually. Or, even better, have more native touchscreen support.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

xakic wrote:SURE! =)
Looks great!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I created a feat request and I think its best to discuss there, but this
Full Bleed wrote:Left Click: Select
Left Click and Drag: Selection Box
sounds terrible. Basically if I want to move a token I click and drag it somewhere else... this is no longer possible with the above method.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Isn't what you've quoted how it works now?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:Isn't what you've quoted how it works now?
Yeah... I was stating current default mouse behaviour (not suggesting something new) and asking the user how his touchscreen control translates so we could see how things correlate and avoid adding something like "swap mouse buttons" and find that it fixes one thing and breaks another.

Wolph is right that if you left click and hold on a token you do drag it now... but that's the same action for creating a selection box (just not clicking on a token).

Edit: I've added a third option to distinguish that there are two behaviours from Left-Click-Drag depending on whether you are on a token or the map for clarification.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:Isn't what you've quoted how it works now?
not if you click on a token. but if you don't you're right, thats how it works now. Maybe it isn't bad,but it does require good thought

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Thats why I think it would be nice if we could build some kind of framework for the controls so that people could build their own. Then you might get popular sets. Probably too much work though :(

Return to “MapTool”