Campaign Not Opening, eating up CPU

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
TheWalrus42
Kobold

Campaign Not Opening, eating up CPU

Post by TheWalrus42 »

So I have an ongoing campaign that I've been editing for awhile now, the most recent time being last night. Today, however, the file just doesn't want to open. In the past it has tended to open in a few seconds, maybe 10 on slow days, but today it eats up all my CPU usage (up from ~5-10% to ~95-100%) and then maptool stops responding. I've tried rebooting and upping the max memory for maptool (from 256 to 1024), but neither helped. Up until today I haven't had any issues like this before, and now all of a sudden I just can't use my file at all.

Anyone know what could be causing this, and how to fix it? On a side note, does anyone know if the .cmpgn file tracks changes made to it as well as the current state of each map? If so, is there a way to disable that?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Campaign Not Opening, eating up CPU

Post by aliasmask »

I recommend saving the file in increments, like by date. I recommend having 1024 be your max for the 32bit OS and java version with the default 64 min and stack of 3. If you have 2 gigs or more, you could up it to 1400. With 64bit OS and java version then you can up the max mem to 2048. Mem settings outside of this may not work. Another solution could be to clear your cache or at least part of it. For example, if loading a map and MT crashed or locked up it could be stuck on a file it thinks it has but doesn't. If you go to the .maptool folder under your user profile in windows, sort by date and delete the last month of cache. You can delete the whole thing but that usually takes awhile and windows has a thing about processing too many files where it takes geometrically longer to do so. So, doing it in chunks is faster.

TheWalrus42
Kobold

Post by TheWalrus42 »

Tried both things, but unfortunately neither seems to have had any effect. The weirdest thing to me is that this just suddenly happened today, after functioning perfectly for years. Do you have any idea why it could be eating so much CPU?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Perhaps if you share the campaign we can load it and see if we have the same issue. Also, what are your system specs?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

TheWalrus42 wrote:Tried both things, but unfortunately neither seems to have had any effect. The weirdest thing to me is that this just suddenly happened today, after functioning perfectly for years. Do you have any idea why it could be eating so much CPU?
Sounds like a corrupted campaign file and MT is caught in some kind of load-loop trying and re-trying to load it up.

And if I had to guess... And judging by the fact that you were running only 256 max mem before, I'm not surprised.

Not only is 256 too low for most campaigns, MT spikes memory usage when loading and saving a campaign file. You probably just edged up close enough to your maxmem level so that when you saved it spiked past it and saved in a corrupted form.

Please make sure that you load MT with at least 1024 Max from now on. Double check your Edit>Gatherdebug information inside MT to be sure.

You might want to check you Maptools backup folder to see if you have a backup in there before you accidentally over-write it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

TheWalrus42
Kobold

Post by TheWalrus42 »

Full Bleed wrote: Sounds like a corrupted campaign file and MT is caught in some kind of load-loop trying and re-trying to load it up.
Sounds like what I was expecting, but hoping not, to be the case. Ah well. Time to remake the current fight, thanks for the info though. I have the limit set to 2048 now, per aliasmask's suggestion. I didn't even realize that limit existed until one of my players informed me of it before I posted here, so now I know.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It may be possible to manually repair the file if it is corrupted. Try adding .zip to the extension and open it. If you can't then it's definitely corrupted. There are some zip repair programs out there that may be able to fix as well if this is the case.

Return to “MapTool”