b87 issues (I know, but I can't)

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
brianquad
Kobold

b87 issues (I know, but I can't)

Post by brianquad »

Yes, I know we should have moved to the new hotness. Sadly the DM has experienced problems with newer versions loading all his maps without hassle.

Recently I have had issues with a few players running Win10 being unable to use .bat or .ext to launch MT. Under Java8 and 6 it gives an unable to access. Yes we have tried specified pathing and removing wildcards. MT will launch using the .jar. This does not allow us to up the memory setting though. I have reached the end of my admitted limited supply of rope.

Any suggestions or slaps in the cranium would be appreciated. Nobody should be denied good gaming.

Thank you in advance,

BrianQuad

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: b87 issues (I know, but I can't)

Post by aliasmask »

Remove all java versions, restart computer. Install java 8, install java 6 in that order. Using the direct path does work. There are no incompatibilities with regards to map content from b87 to b91, so problems are probably due to java. Java 8 does not play well with others. Once you install it, it tries to ignore all other versions and that includes an update. When that happens you need to reinstall the older version.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

Thank you for the rapid response. I will pass this along to those having the issues and cross my fingers.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

The proscribed method was performed with no change. Methods other than launching the .jar all state inability to access.

I am open to other suggestions or shots in the dark.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Can you post the batch file and mt.cfg file that you have tried.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx2048M -Xss4M -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run

MAXMEM=2048
MINMEM=64
STACKSIZE=6
JVM=javaw
PROMPT=true

Hmmm, I've never had the presence of JVM=javaw in the .cfg file cause any issue with launching from a .bat that specified java6. I will feel silly if you come back with that as the error. When going from .bat I largely ignore the config, assuming the twain would not meet.

Thank you for this attention and assistance. Long Live Gamers.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I see your problem. You're running the 32bit version but putting in a memory setting for a 64bit version. Max java mem for 32bit is like 1500 but I usually go with 1400. If you do have a 64bit OS and enough mem, then you need to install the 64bit java for it to work. For now, you can change the -Xmx2048M to -Xmx1400M. The path for the 64bit version should be:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1400M -Xss3M -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run
For the mt.cfg you can do this:

MAXMEM=1400
MINMEM=64
STACKSIZE=3
JVM=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe
PROMPT=true
Also, make sure your java file is in the specified path.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:The path for the 64bit version should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1400M -Xss3M -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run
That's the 32 bit path. Typo?

At any rate, Alias is right, you're trying to use 64 bit memory settings with a 32 bit Java.

But, I would suggest that the easiest solution here is to have ALL of your users do the following:

1) Uninstall all the Java's on their computers.
2) Download the latest MT 1.4.0.0.

Choose ONE of the following (3A or 3B) based on your operating system:
3A) 64 Bit OS : Download the 64 Bit Version of Java 8. It is *not* the default download. Go here and download the "Windows Offline (64 Bit)" install: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
3B) 32 Bit OS : Download the 32 Bit Version of Java 8. Same link as above, but not the 64 Bit install.

4) Restart computer.
5) Install the new the new Java.
6) Install the new MT 1.4.0.0.
7) Run MT using the launcher-1.4.0.0.jar

When the launcher opens set your Memory profiles to:

1280 MAX
64 Min
4 Stack

Note: When installing the programs make sure your users accept any potential security warnings that are asking to provide access.

If those steps are followed correctly I'm betting three things:

1) No one will have a problem.
2) The GM's maps will open just fine.
3) Your computers will be more secure.

This is about a 5-10 minute process and it will get you all on the same page without using custom bat files.

Note: If a player has the 64 bit version of Java installed, they can use a higher MAX mem. I picked a number that is very safe for 32 bit installs as a default and want to make sure that everyone is up and running before people start tinkering.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Right, I figure he has the 32bit installed so I put the 32bit path.

Return to “MapTool”