Help, did 1.4 mess up my 1.3.91 campaign???

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xavram
Dragon

Help, did 1.4 mess up my 1.3.91 campaign???

Post by xavram »

So earlier today, I downloaded 1.4 to check out some of the stuff being done there, especially the "isometric" views...very cool stuff!!

This evening, I re-opened the ongoing campaign I've been running in 1.3.91 and something weird is going on. I have a macro for "onCampaignLoad" that displays a form and then sets a macro to run anytime a token is clicked, to display the stat sheet on the form. It looks like this...

Code: Select all

[h: link = macroLinkText("NewStatBlock@Lib:PC_CombatMacros", "none", "", getSelected())]
[frame("New Stat Block"):
{
<html>
<head>
<link rel="onChangeSelection" type="macro" href="[r:link]">
<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='StyleSheet@Lib:PC_CombatMacros'></link>
<title>New Stat Block</title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="statBlock">
<p><strong>Select token,then dock window accordingly to preferences</strong></p>
</form>
</div>
</body>
</html>}
]
But now, when I click on any token, I get the following error.

Error in body of roll.       
Statement options (if any): h, if(displayStatBlock == 1), code       Statement Body : { [h : switchToken(getSelected())] [h, if(getPropertyType() != "Pathfinder Player") : displayStatBlock = 0] }

In my "NewStatBlock" macro, I can see where this line is but I haven't changed this in months. It looks like this...

Code: Select all

[h : displayStatBlock = 1]
[h, if(getSelected() == "") : displayStatBlock = 0]
[h : allSelected = getSelected()]
[h, if(listCount(allSelected) > 1) : displayStatBlock = 0]
[h, if(displayStatBlock == 1), code : {
  [h : switchToken(getSelected())]
  [b][h, if(getPropertyType() != "Pathfinder Player") : displayStatBlock = 0][/b]
}]
[h, if(displayStatBlock && !isGM()), code : {
  [h, if(isOwner() == 0) : displayStatBlock = 0]
}]
...but I have no idea why this is suddenly happening. Worse yet, I tried to throw some [broadcast("Step 1, Step 2, etc")] messages in there to see if I could figure out the issue. But now, when I have that at the start of the NewStatBlock macro, I get this error.

Error in body of roll.       
Statement options (if any):       
Statement Body : broadcast("Step 1")

I had this campaign open and had no issues in 1.3.91 not two days ago. The ONLY thing I've done in Maptool was to fire up 1.4 to check it out. Please tell me that didn't somehow mess up my 1.3.91 campaign!!!

I have a session this Friday and so am in a bit of a panic! :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Help, did 1.4 mess up my 1.3.91 campaign???

Post by aliasmask »

It's more likely related to memory management and java than the file being corrupted. You should run Gather Debug Info and post here.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

where does that debug file save to?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It's under the Help menu.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:I had this campaign open and had no issues in 1.3.91 not two days ago. The ONLY thing I've done in Maptool was to fire up 1.4 to check it out. Please tell me that didn't somehow mess up my 1.3.91 campaign!!!
First, when using a new version, you should *always* use a backup of your campaign file.

Second, I don't see how it would have any chance to "mess up" your campaign file unless you opened the file and then saved it in 1.4 and it got corrupted in the save. But since you said that the only thing you did was "fire it up to check it out", then I'd bet 1.4 did nothing to your file. Worst case scenario: You should be able to open your file with 1.3.91 as you always did.

Third, as for getting your campaign to work in 1.4... it's either a memory issue like Alias suggested (you did not provide your memory profile, but Help>Gather Debug will tell us) or it's an undocumented issue with something in the macro and 1.4 (and it would be nice to track down the actual incompatibility if that is the case).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Sorry if I didn't make it clear; I did NOT open this campaign in 1.4. I just poked around in 1.4 in a new map, to see some of the stuff. I then closed 1.4, opened 1.3.91, opened my campaign and then started seeing these issues. I have since rebooted my pc but I'm still seeing the same errors.

Here's what my debug file says. My settings at launch are max=1024, min=128, stack=5

==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b91
MapTool Home...: ..\..\..\..\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 989M
Max mem used...: 364M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\..\..\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_40
Java Version: 1.8.0_40
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b26)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 8.1
OS Version.....: 6.3
OS Architecture: x86
PATH...........: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_40\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\backburner\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;.
Number of Procs: 4

==== User Information ====
User Name: JavierR
User Home: C:\Users\JavierR
User Dir.: C:\Users\JavierR\Documents\DD\MapTool\maptool-1.3.b91

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Interface Name: net1
Address...: 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:41a:7ed:3f57:fffd
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:41a:7ed:3f57:fffd%net1

Display Name..: DisplayLink Ethernet
Interface Name: eth3
Address...: 192.168.0.2
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:708e:b9cf:f175:b325%eth3

Display Name..: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5
Interface Name: net3
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:0:5efe:c0a8:2%net3

Host Address...: 192.168.0.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 2
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)
Display 2: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: Actiontec xDSL Router
Model Name..: C1000A-D0
Manufacturer: Actiontec
Model Number: null
Model Desc..: High Speed Internet VDSL Modem with TR069
Firmware....: Custom/1.0 UPnP/1.0 Proc/Ver
External IP.: 71.219.202.165

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

The oddest thing (to me) is that I can't put in a broadcast message in my macros, anywhere, to kind of troubleshoot the issue. I usually do this all the time to track down issues when writing macros but now I just get back...

Error in body of roll.       Statement options (if any):       Statement Body : broadcast("sadfs")

That's even if I just create a new macro on a token that just has...

[broadcast("asdfsd")]

...as the entire macro

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

i get a feeling that something else is going on (by all means *do* check your memory settings!!) have you tried running the "diagnose" from the bag of tricks. I think something might be wrong with your tokens. If you don't have BoT installed, just drag lib:ontokenmove and lib:eventmacros onto your map, save and reload. Do make a backup before you do this.

as for the memory settings, what are the settings at launch?

finally I see that you're using java8, this will render an error when you use 7 styles or more in a html sheet. To rule this out I would also suggest runnign MT in java 7. Or running your campaign in 1.4 (AFTER you've backupped).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

If you're going to keep the 32bit java, I recommend 1400 for max mem, 64 for min, stack 3. If you install the 64bit version you can go to 2048 for max and leave the other settings the same.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I've been running 1.3.91, with this version of Java, on this laptop, for almost a year. The settings we've used at launch (1024/128/5) have not changed at all.

So crazy, I was just working in this on Friday! AliasMask was helping me with an issue using MacroLink, got that all resolved, everything was working fine.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

what about the log.txt file, out in the .maptool directory? There's nothing in it right now, is there a way to make the errors write to that file?

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I think I've recovered. I found a version of my library token that was only a week or so old. Swapped it with the one that was throwing all the errors and it worked just fine. Put back in all the code that I had done since there and its still working fine. Almost like the token got corrupted or something, never seen that before.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

xavram wrote:I think I've recovered. I found a version of my library token that was only a week or so old. Swapped it with the one that was throwing all the errors and it worked just fine. Put back in all the code that I had done since there and its still working fine. Almost like the token got corrupted or something, never seen that before.
Question, do you use the RPEdit to update your macros?

One danger is editing the token outside of RPEdit. It saves the macro button ids and if you manually edit the macros on the token there is a chance that the id's change. For example, moving a macro to a new group and deleting the old macro. AFAIK, it should throw an error, when trying to write to a missing macro, but I think it's possible depending on the order you could end up switching ids for a macro and your update will update the wrong one. It's very difficult to do, but it's something when I first started using it I noticed. Essentially, don't manually edit your macros if using RPEdit and if you do, close and re-open RPEdit.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I honestly don't even know what RPEdit is! I just editted them in Maptool, like I always do.

What is RPEdit?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can download from my signature. Allows you to import/export macros using a textarea form. That way you can do all you editing using and IDE like notepad++.

Return to “MapTool”