How do I undo dynamic lighting exposure?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wino_print
Kobold

How do I undo dynamic lighting exposure?

Post by wino_print »

I'm getting a little infuriated with the dynamic lighting. I used the Expose > Visible Area command to see how it would work on a map, but decided that it revealed too much, and that I'd rather just use the manual fog exposure tools.

However, now I can't seem to make the exposure go away, at least on my view of the map. I can't cover up the revealed area with the fog tools. When I switch to the player view, it does look completely dark, so I guess that's good, but it makes it impossible for me to tell what has actually been revealed to the players.

Once I saw that the lighting wasn't doing what I wanted, I just wanted to turn the whole thing off, but selecting Map > Vision > Off seemingly hasn't changed anything and it's still clearly tracing viewable area when I click on various tokens. I just want it to stop so I can do it manually! Help?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: How do I undo dynamic lighting exposure?

Post by aliasmask »

There's a bug in version 1.4 where ctrl-shift-o is not clearing the soft fog of war and as far as I know the FOW tool can't fix it either.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wino_print wrote:I'm getting a little infuriated with the dynamic lighting. I used the Expose > Visible Area command to see how it would work on a map, but decided that it revealed too much, and that I'd rather just use the manual fog exposure tools.

However, now I can't seem to make the exposure go away, at least on my view of the map. I can't cover up the revealed area with the fog tools.

When I switch to the player view, it does look completely dark, so I guess that's good, but it makes it impossible for me to tell what has actually been revealed to the players.

Once I saw that the lighting wasn't doing what I wanted, I just wanted to turn the whole thing off, but selecting Map > Vision > Off seemingly hasn't changed anything and it's still clearly tracing viewable area when I click on various tokens. I just want it to stop so I can do it manually! Help?
Ok, there are a few things going on here.

When you don't have a server running, you're not supposed to be able to expose individual FoW (individual fog data stored on tokens). The reason for this is because individual FoW is a setting that is set when you start a server. Not everyone uses it. In fact, I suggest that people don't use it. It tends to create all kinds of problems (i.e. fog data gets too large on a token and slows things down, GM's don't realize what different players are seeing as easily, and it's generally just hard for new users to fully understand how everything interacts).

But what is happening right now is that when you exposed a visible area while the server was not running you selected a token and removed the fog that it can see through (its visible area)... and while that is supposed to only expose Global Exposed Fog when a server is not running it's exposing the FoW for the token (something it's not supposed to do). But--and this is the problem you're running into--what you *can't* do is add the fog back for the token because that part is actually working as it's supposed to (that is, you're not supposed to be able to mess with a token's FoW without a server running.)

So, what you need to do, for now:

1) Start up a server, make sure "Use Individual FoW" is check boxed, and go back in and ADD back the fog you accidentally exposed to the tokens you selected.
2) Disconnect from Server.
3) Start the server back up and DEselect "Use Individual FoW" this time.
4) Now you can expose fog and add it back as you are supposed to. But, note, that you will only be using Global Fog (which is what it sounds like you want to do anyway).

You basically can't expose fog while a server is not running right now without running into fog application issues.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wino_print
Kobold

Post by wino_print »

Thanks! Starting the server appears to have gotten me out of the woods. Too bad about the dynamic lighting. I can understand that that's a tough thing to program though, so if an open source, do-anything tool like MapTool has some issues, I'm happy to just use manual reveal. Thanks again!

Lix
Kobold

Post by Lix »

Full Bleed wrote:
wino_print wrote: So, what you need to do, for now:
1) Start up a server, make sure "Use Individual FoW" is check boxed, and go back in and ADD back the fog you accidentally exposed to the tokens you selected.
2) Disconnect from Server.
3) Start the server back up and DEselect "Use Individual FoW" this time.
4) Now you can expose fog and add it back as you are supposed to. But, note, that you will only be using Global Fog (which is what it sounds like you want to do anyway).
Thanks for recommending these steps. I'm glad that I've found this thread.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Lix wrote:Thanks for recommending these steps. I'm glad that I've found this thread.
You're welcome.

Hopefully this info helps someone track down this bug and squash it for the next version release.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Return to “MapTool”