Altering default memory settings in MT 1.4?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Altering default memory settings in MT 1.4?

Post by Full Bleed »

Oryan77 wrote:Yes, that actually did work. Does that help to problem solve the issue? Or is that just a workaround to load up MT? Just wondering. :)
Well, it tells me that there isn't anything majorly wrong with your MT or Java install... and that it's a launcher issue.

As for why the launcher isn't working for you... I still don't know and would probably need to remote assist to figure it out. I almost always use custom bat files myself, but I haven't had any trouble with the launcher either.

Out of curiosity, if you delete the mt.cfg file in your MT directory and try the launcher.jar again entering 2048/64/4 into the memory config and then click the Launch MapTool button... does it still fail?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Can you open a command window and run:

Code: Select all

java -version
Sometimes Windows can get in the way of the java installs and point to a different version.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Full Bleed wrote:
Oryan77 wrote:Yes, that actually did work. Does that help to problem solve the issue? Or is that just a workaround to load up MT? Just wondering. :)
Well, it tells me that there isn't anything majorly wrong with your MT or Java install... and that it's a launcher issue.

As for why the launcher isn't working for you... I still don't know and would probably need to remote assist to figure it out. I almost always use custom bat files myself, but I haven't had any trouble with the launcher either.

Out of curiosity, if you delete the mt.cfg file in your MT directory and try the launcher.jar again entering 2048/64/4 into the memory config and then click the Launch MapTool button... does it still fail?
Yeah I tried doing that before and it didn't work. I just tried it again and MT still won't load with the launcher.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

launcher has a reset java option. You may want to try that.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

aliasmask wrote:launcher has a reset java option. You may want to try that.
I couldn't figure out where to find the java reset option in the launcher. Is that in the generic launcher that comes with MT or is it in one of your guys custom made launchers?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

laucherXXX.jar file

It's on the advanced tab.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

aliasmask wrote:laucherXXX.jar file

It's on the advanced tab.
I don't see any "reset java" type of option on that tab. There is a "Insert Java Arguments Here" box and a "Set Java Version (Select Directory)" button. Are one of those options what you mean by resetting java in the launcher?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Oryan77 wrote:Yeah I tried doing that before and it didn't work. I just tried it again and MT still won't load with the launcher.
Did you get a permissions request when you ran the .bat file I gave you that works?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Full Bleed, I'm using a very powerful gaming laptop to run MT. What memory configure setting would you recommend I type in?
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Farland wrote:Full Bleed, I'm using a very powerful gaming laptop to run MT. What memory configure setting would you recommend I type in?

Is what I go with and I use some pretty gigantic maps without issue.

Make sure you're using 64 bit Java though, or that first number (Max Mem) should be less than < 1408.

Note 1: I usually keep the Max Mem a multiple of 64.

Note 2: Keep in mind that if you've got like 16 gigs+ of mem in your system you could certainly increase the Max Mem... but I think 2048 is a safer number when considering your players. There are still people out there with 32 bit or <= 4 gig systems and if you're bumping up against a 2 gig limitation (2048) you're creating a framework that's probably going to give them trouble.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Full Bleed wrote:
Oryan77 wrote:Yeah I tried doing that before and it didn't work. I just tried it again and MT still won't load with the launcher.
Did you get a permissions request when you ran the .bat file I gave you that works?
I do believe that Windows did ask for permission to load the file. If that is what you mean.

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Thanks! Yeah, it's got 16 gb of RAM and is 64 bit, but you make a good point about other players.
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

Return to “MapTool”