Altering default memory settings in MT 1.4?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Farland
Cave Troll

Altering default memory settings in MT 1.4?

Post by Farland »

I used to know how to do this, but apparently it has changed or I've forgotten. How do I change the min and max and stacksize memory settings in 1.4?
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Altering default memory settings in MT 1.4?

Post by Full Bleed »

Farland wrote:I used to know how to do this, but apparently it has changed or I've forgotten. How do I change the min and max and stacksize memory settings in 1.4?
It sounds like you might not be using the launcher to launch it.

The file you want to use is: launcher-1.4.0.0.jar

If you are using that file it may be that you don't have it prompting for settings at launch. Delete your mt.cfg file and then run the launcher to change your settings.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

I deleted it and relaunched using that file. It displays the window with the settings but I don't see how to alter them. If I click on a setting, it disappears. Not trying to be obtuse here.
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

When you click on the setting, and it disappears, you should be able to type in to the box at that point.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

What about when the launcher won't open maptool and also does not display the java.exe file in the folder that the file is located in? I'm on Win 8.1 with the latest Java 8 update.

I have searched and read many posts regarding similar issues and none of the alternative launchers that people have posted are allowing me to select the java.exe file in the launcher. None of the launchers load Maptool either, which I assume is because I need to tell the launcher where the java file is located.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Oryan77 wrote:What about when the launcher won't open maptool and also does not display the java.exe file in the folder that the file is located in? I'm on Win 8.1 with the latest Java 8 update.

I have searched and read many posts regarding similar issues and none of the alternative launchers that people have posted are allowing me to select the java.exe file in the launcher. None of the launchers load Maptool either, which I assume is because I need to tell the launcher where the java file is located.
Something is messed up with one of your installs. If I were you I would uninstall all Java installs on your system, then go to java.com (make sure you get the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit processor) to get the latest version and install it fresh.

Then, delete your current MT install and install a fresh copy.

Run it using the newest launcher file (currently: launcher-1.4.0.0.jar).

Set your memory to 2048/64/4 (if you have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit java) or 1024/64/4 (if you have a 32 bit os and/or 32 bit java).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

taustinoc wrote:When you click on the setting, and it disappears, you should be able to type in to the box at that point.
This.

The cursor is right justified (which is a little weird) so maybe you missed it.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Oryan77 wrote:What about when the launcher won't open maptool and also does not display the java.exe file in the folder that the file is located in? I'm on Win 8.1 with the latest Java 8 update.

I've run Maptool on my Win 8.1 without having to tell it where the Java exe is. It's possible something is sideways on that, certainly.

The first, and easiest thing to check, however, is, what are the memory settings you are trying to use? There is a combination of weirdnesses that you have to avoid with Windows.

If you have 32 bit Windows, you cannot, under any circumstances, set the max memory higher than about 1400 MB or so, and something slightly smaller (I use 1024) might be more reliable. And even if you have 64 bit Windows, if you installed Java by going to java.com and clicking on the install button, you got 32 bit Java, and the same memory limit applies. To get 64 bit Java, go to the web page where you "Agree and Start Free Download," and look for the link that says "Not the right operating system? See all Java downloads. " at the bottom.

This seems to be a very common issue (it bit me in the donkey when I started with MT).

If you have 64 bit Java, then I'll bow out to the real experts on how to get that figured out. But one thing that might be informative is to set the memory settings you want, then click on the very bottom line in the Launcher (it should start with "java -Xms. . ." followed by various settings, and paste that in to a batch file, and run that from the command line. Then, you'll get the error messages that the Launcher suppresses (because it suppresses the command line window entirely).

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Full Bleed wrote:

Something is messed up with one of your installs. If I were you I would uninstall all Java installs on your system, then go to java.com (make sure you get the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit processor) to get the latest version and install it fresh.

Then, delete your current MT install and install a fresh copy.

Run it using the newest launcher file (currently: launcher-1.4.0.0.jar).

Set your memory to 2048/64/4 (if you have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit java) or 1024/64/4 (if you have a 32 bit os and/or 32 bit java).
I've done that already. I went ahead and did it again per your request and I still get the same results. Java 8 v66 and using MT 1.4.0.0. I even tried multiple launchers (one in the zip and two that users here created).

The launcher still doesn't show the java.exe file when I browse for it. The launcher also doesn't launch MT. I even deleted the mt.cfg file so it could create a new version. I don't know what else to try.

This is a brand new laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit with 16g RAM.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Oryan77 wrote:The launcher still doesn't show the java.exe file when I browse for it. The launcher also doesn't launch MT. I even deleted the mt.cfg file so it could create a new version. I don't know what else to try.
What do you mean by "doesn't show the java.exe when I browse for it"? If you mean that it doesn't show when you click on the "maptool-1.4.0.0" box in the launcher (fourth line up from the bottom), neither does mine, nor should it need to. As I recall, that is intended for using a different version of Java than the one that is registered with Windows as the default (say, using an older version).

If you open a command line box, and type in "java -version" and hit <Enter>, do you get an error message about it not being recognized? If you get version information, then you don't need to tell the launcher where java.exe is. This is normal.
Oryan77 wrote:This is a brand new laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit with 16g RAM.
How did you install Java? Did you go to java.com and click on the big red "Free Java Download" button, then click on "Agree and Start Free Download" button on the next page? If you did, you have 32 bit Java, regardless of what version of Windows you have. And if you then set the max memory above about 1400 MB, it will do exactly what you are describing.

A quick test to see if that is the problem, change the max memory to 1024 MB, and see if it launches MT. If it does, then you need to uninstall Java and get the 64 bit version, or use the lower memory settings.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

taustinoc wrote:
Oryan77 wrote:The launcher still doesn't show the java.exe file when I browse for it. The launcher also doesn't launch MT. I even deleted the mt.cfg file so it could create a new version. I don't know what else to try.
What do you mean by "doesn't show the java.exe when I browse for it"? If you mean that it doesn't show when you click on the "maptool-1.4.0.0" box in the launcher (fourth line up from the bottom), neither does mine, nor should it need to. As I recall, that is intended for using a different version of Java than the one that is registered with Windows as the default (say, using an older version).

If you open a command line box, and type in "java -version" and hit <Enter>, do you get an error message about it not being recognized? If you get version information, then you don't need to tell the launcher where java.exe is. This is normal.
Oryan77 wrote:This is a brand new laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit with 16g RAM.
How did you install Java? Did you go to java.com and click on the big red "Free Java Download" button, then click on "Agree and Start Free Download" button on the next page? If you did, you have 32 bit Java, regardless of what version of Windows you have. And if you then set the max memory above about 1400 MB, it will do exactly what you are describing.

A quick test to see if that is the problem, change the max memory to 1024 MB, and see if it launches MT. If it does, then you need to uninstall Java and get the 64 bit version, or use the lower memory settings.
I manually selected the 64 bit java to install since I'm using a 64 bit version of Windows.

I don't get any message about java not being recognized.

If I click the "Launch MapTool" button in the launcher, nothing happens. If I go to the advanced tab and click the "Set Java Version (select Directory), and select the folder where my java.exe file is located, the launcher still does not Launch MapTool. I don't know if I actually needed to do that, but I am letting people know that I at least tried. I also was not sure if the launcher should be displaying the java.exe file when choosing the folder, but I mentioned that it was not showing in case that was important for trouble shooting.

As far as I know, I only have 1 version of java installed. I uninstalled java, it no longer appeared in my installed programs list. I then installed a new copy of the 64 bit java install file.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Oryan77 wrote:I'm not sure what else to try.
Did you reinstall MT after reinstalling Java?

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Full Bleed wrote:
Oryan77 wrote:I'm not sure what else to try.
Did you reinstall MT after reinstalling Java?
Yeah I did that a couple of times just to make sure. I even tried loading MT b91 and got the same result.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Oryan77 wrote:Yeah I did that a couple of times just to make sure. I even tried loading MT b91 and got the same result.
1) Open Note Pad.
2) Paste the following text into it:

Code: Select all

set STACK=4M
set MAXMEM=2048M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.4.0.0

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
3) Save the file as: Run1400.bat
4) Put the Run1400.bat file into your maptool-1.4.0.0 folder.
5) Double Click the Run1400.bat file to see if that works.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Full Bleed wrote:
Oryan77 wrote:Yeah I did that a couple of times just to make sure. I even tried loading MT b91 and got the same result.
1) Open Note Pad.
2) Paste the following text into it:

Code: Select all

set STACK=4M
set MAXMEM=2048M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.4.0.0

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
3) Save the file as: Run1400.bat
4) Put the Run1400.bat file into your maptool-1.4.0.0 folder.
5) Double Click the Run1400.bat file to see if that works.
Yes, that actually did work. Does that help to problem solve the issue? Or is that just a workaround to load up MT? Just wondering. :)

Return to “MapTool”